Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs sign Auston Matthews to ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Am I really? Or was this just for public consumption? Regardless, had max bonuses been on the table all along. What took this deal so long as it was reported Lou and his agent were talking? Not sure why you are so sensitive on this? I believe Shanahan stepped in, and we will probably never know either way. So that is that.

They just started negotiating. It says right there it took 10 minutes to get it done. Believe it or not, management probably had other matters to attend to first. Shocker I know.

Keep believing in your conspiracy theories though. I know you feel all warm inside anytime you perceive the Leafs screwed up.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
This is where it starts, you cave by giving your 1st OA pick bonuses, the next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I've seen it a hundred times.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
The max signing and tweets that followed made 95% of HFBOARDS posters look so stupid. Love it

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Way to hold to your guns Lou lol..... Did he really think the kid would not demand full bonus structure? He was #1 overall for f sakes. Does nothing but make him look a little foolish imo
Then he says he was planning that all along sure lol
Nice cya tweets

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Am I really? Or was this just for public consumption? Regardless, had max bonuses been on the table all along. What took this deal so long as it was reported Lou and his agent were talking? Not sure why you are so sensitive on this? I believe Shanahan stepped in, and we will probably never know either way. So that is that.

:laugh:

Cut your losses and move on.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
They just started negotiating. It says right there it took 10 minutes to get it done. Believe it or not, management probably had other matters to attend to first. Shocker I know.

Keep believing in your conspiracy theories though. I know you feel all warm inside anytime you perceive the Leafs screwed up.

Matthews is signed. Good on the Leafs on finally making this happen. Some can thankfully breathe now and maybe we can move on. But I have to say this is now bordering on the line of beating a dead horse.

The scenario of the Leafs being too busy to have Pridham draw up a straight fwd Entry Level contract with max bonuses and having it couriered out to Brisson under the guise of being too busy this summer defeats all the logic of your premise. No one could be this incompetent. I like my theory a lot more.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
When you get into the playoffs, then you can comment.

Rich coming from a Leaf fan. I guess you missed the million Leaf trolls in the McDavid threads last year. Short memories I guess out east. Now it's all "This is unfair! Everyone is trolling us!?"

Back on topic I figured he'd get the max bonuses. It was probably an overblown Toronto media thing as per usual with the Lou stuff.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
So the question now becomes, what bonuses will he hit?

Here is what I think Matthews will do first season

25 goals
60 points

Decent +/-
Poor faceoff percentage (nothing to be concerned about, most centremen take a few years to get better at faceoffs at the NHL level)
Solid defensive play (maybe even some PK time)
Calder finalist, if not winner

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Guess Lou really is diverging from his old principles. But then, under the circumstances he didn't really have much choice.

NJ was very much running on a strict budget when he was the GM, was it not?
I don't think it had much to do with money, it had to do with a principal (he didn't believe in individual bonuses and team bonuses are non in the new CBA). In New Jersey he was around when the rules were implimented, so no one before them had gotten them. In Toronto, guys like Nylander and Marner have bonuses in their deals, it is much harder to justify. I understand Lou's objection to them (I almost feel he would rather guarantee them at a minute played than have goal and point based bonuses), but it wasn't a fight worth pursuing in a new environment.

While he has implemented some rules, he seems pretty willing to let a new culture be created where he is part of a collective. Shanny oversees it, he manages a diverse team (Dubas analytics, Hunters staff and Prindham) and takes Babcock's input. Its easier to go to a new environment in some cases and take a lesser role (still bigger than the ceremonial role he would have in NJ), than stay where you once ran everything but were relegated to the back ground. With Leafs being accommodating with him being based in New Jersey and flying in fairly often, I think that intrigued him.

Does Matt Martin have to get a Hair Cut?
Said in an interview shortly after signing that it was gone.

I'd also add, atleast Lou's rules make sense (while principled) and he doesn't rant about them. That makes him 1000x better than Burke who wouldn't shut up about his extended trade freeze and how prospects at the draft don't were hats (and were the only team that does it).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Matthews is signed. Good on the Leafs on finally making this happen. Some can thankfully breathe now and maybe we can move on. But I have to say this is now bordering on the line of beating a dead horse.

The scenario of the Leafs being too busy to have Pridham draw up a straight fwd Entry Level contract with max bonuses and having it couriered out to Brisson under the guise of being too busy this summer defeats all the logic of your premise. No one could be this incompetent. I like my theory a lot more.
Again, we don't even know the bench marks, which may of been what was being negotiated. But continue making a mountain out of a mole hill, like you do with all leafs related things. You related to Feschuk?

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa

Why cant you ever admit when you're wrong?

There's literally a quote of Lou saying it only took 10 mins. There's more proof that there was no rift or anything like that yet people still try and push that narrative.
Not surprised the biggest one is the winter soldier

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga

Like it all you want. There are direct quotes from the parties involved that contradict your awful theory. :laugh:

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Why cant you ever admit when you're wrong?

There's literally a quote of Lou saying it only took 10 mins. There's more proof that there was no rift or anything like that yet people still try and push that narrative.
Not surprised the biggest one is the winter soldier

I've been saying all along they were waiting for Matthews to have stitches removed before taking contract pictures. I think the timing of this just proves my theory is correct.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach

You make it sound like it took Leafs management a needlessly long amount of time to sign Matthews when in reality, players of his pedigree have been signed much, much later without the kind of ruckus we've seen here. This is needless theorizing for something that wasn't even out of place. I'd much rather believe the word of a GM than some fan's theories.

Keeping it Blue

Dec 13, 2006
Vancouver, BC

What was the reason it needed to be done any earlier? There wasn't any.

And why would Leaf fans need a sigh of relief? Because this made most people look dumb? I guess?

I don't think any reasonable Leaf fan was worried even in the slightest, but, please, continue telling us how right you are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad