Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs extend Morgan Rielly (8 years, $7.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
at least Phil kessel's $1.2m salary retention comes off the books after this year so we have that going for us, which is nice.

This is a good deal for the leafs. It will be interesting to see what they do with the cap though

Reactions: Kurtz

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Leafs won't be able to afford Campbell now unless someone with a 5+M salary is moved out.

This has to be the last year for the core, specially if we dont do anything in the playoffs again. If we miss/lose in the first round, i absolutely can not see how the leafs keep Marner. although weve been saying this for a few years now..

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
It’s one of the better deals that Dubas has negotiated. It’s not great but not terrible. Hopefully he can pick it up and it will look a great deal.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
This has to be the last year for the core, specially if we dont do anything in the playoffs again. If we miss/lose in the first round, i absolutely can not see how the leafs keep Marner. although weve been saying this for a few years now..

Nobody wants Marner.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Decent deal relative to others signed of late, but obviously anything 8 years carries risk. I could try and pick this apart a bit more, analyze his play, etc, but you know what? We're all fans at the end of the day. He's a good player and a good guy and I'm glad it looks like he'll spend his career as a Leaf.

Reactions: Smif

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
A great deal. Good for Morgan to realize what he needs to give up to stay a Leaf, and good Dubas for getting it done.

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
2.5 million raise on this guy's last big contract. Looking at the comparables and recent signings, Leafs management made out well. Along with Spezza, Leafs fans should feel very lucky to have a player of his caliber playing for the team and not just chasing the money/ego. Looking at you Mitch

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Given how crazy the market has been for defence lately, this is a solid number.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Dubas could not let Rielly walk it would have been crippling so in that sense this is a great deal.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I guess the Leafs are going with Mrazek as their number one. The have 5M left for 8 roster spots next year…

Good contract looking only at the player Rielly is, but will lead to some pain for the team. Not sure how they will retain Campbell or the 5 RFAs on the team (I don't think the team could afford their QOs, which require a 10% raise).

Reactions: Oryxo and Garnet76

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad