Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs extend Morgan Rielly (8 years, $7.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The90

Feb 27, 2017
With the Rielly signing does this mean that 1 of the big 4 will be traded?

Nylander would be the easiest to trade but the Leafs would be nuts to trade him since he has such a good contract with them.

Tavares is untradeable because no one would want to picked up his contract. The Leafs would probably have to give assets away to trade him.

Matthews should be untouchable unless there is some kind of falling out between him and the team. Since I have never heard anything about that he is not going anywhere.

Marner is the one. He is the only logical choice. Marner is still young enough that some team would be willing to trade for him and may even be willing to pay up (with assets) for him without the Leafs retaining a good chunk of his contract.

If they Leafs do not trade one of the big 4 then they will no longer be a PO team starting as early as next year.
Rielly makes 5 now, so they need to find 2.5 million for his raise. You have 1.2 from the Kessel retention coming off the books, and another million cap increase. So as of this team they’re .3 million in difference and can run it back if they wish. It’s always a problem until it’s not.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Fair deal for a #2. With Kessel retention going away next off-season, it's basically giving him that and $1.3M raise.

Whether it's in Leafs interests to keep him at that price and term that ends at 35 years old is another question entirely.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
You are talking about the best goal scorer in the NHL and reining Rocket Richard winner. Take it easy man…why did you have to bring McDavid into this thread anyway? To stir the pot?

McDavids secondary assists don’t impress me.

Finally, Nurse is an average D man worth less than half of what he is paid. Average 20-30 point 2nd pairing. He is making $9.25M…stop lying. He took the Oilers to the bank at gun point.
I think it's funny how you go "take it easy man" when McDavid gets mentioned and then go on trying to de-value his achievements in the post.

34 is pretty clearly overpaid, same as Nurse, however with 34 it's due to term.

Reactions: dukeofjive

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
It’s a fair deal for the length of contract. He will be 35 when this deal ends. A six year deal would have been worth 8 million per year. I’m happy that Reilly signed but I don’t know how they will possibly keep Campbell if someone does not get traded.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A fair deal for a solid offensive number 2 D with below average D. I don’t think they really had much choice but to re-sign him. There’s no replacement in house and the free agency market will be insane. They can deal with the last 3 years or so of the contract down the road as they need to be all in the next 3 years or so.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
It’s a fair deal for the length of contract. He will be 35 when this deal ends. A six year deal would have been worth 8 million per year. I’m happy that Reilly signed but I don’t know how they will possibly keep Campbell if someone does not get traded.
Campbell is why I was surprised they paid for Mrazek, who is always injured. They might lose Campbell for that. I was expecting a $1-2M back up - not $3.8M for several years for Mrazek.

Reactions: johnnybbadd

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Campbell is someone whose struggled mentally with being comfortable playing in certain environments. That's not to say I'd expect him to pay for pennies, but I'd wager he will be accommodating with management (within reason) for an extension.

Depends on his performance and he's never made big money so this is his only chance. Just like Hyman, it's unlikely for a guy in that age group to accomodate. He has literally no reason to. It doesn't matter what his next environment is, it's the $$$ that counts. If he's already made big money, he can give a discount in a comfortable environment. He'll take which ever deal that's highest on the table.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Tavares is untradeable because no one would want to picked up his contract. The Leafs would probably have to give assets away to trade him.
The only problem they would have trading Tavares is getting around his NMC. Assuming we miss out on Eichel I'd take Tavares on the Flames next year. We'd have to send back Monahan for position and cap reasons but he'd be an expiring contract that shouldn't be too hard to unload. Flames would certainly be adding to that deal. There are other teams that would love to have a PPG #1 centre even if he is overpaid by 1-2 million.

Reactions: Nylanderthal

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
His deal is not bad at face value. The question is... is it worth it for the Leafs. No it isn't. Have you guys not seen your playoff performances? You need a legit all purpose number 1. Rielly is absolutely not that. The only other way to win with Rielly is if you win by committee on defense, but that will be hard to do with the way your cap structured on offense. Unless Marner is traded for a steal return that includes a young and cheap solid defender and great top 6 player, this deal does nothing for the Leafs. Leafs will not win with Rielly.

Leafs are arguing about his contract; it's not that terrible of a contract(even though his comparable is more similar to Krug and Girard impact wise) but his contract in relation to what Leafs actually need is bad.

This guy gets it. Might not be an impediment, but that's contingent on Rielly not declining even a bit.
Who says he has to be a # 1 ? He isnt paid like one. If he could be a 1B or 2 that would be ideal. The leafs are not going to get better D for that price. Its now up to dubas to dump as top 4 forward.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If the Leafs need cap space for next season (they will) Mrazek can be moved.

Modified NTC with a 10-team no-trade list that leaves 21 other possibilities. Unless he's completely terrible this year or injured most of the season, his contract can be moved. That will free up an additional $3.8M + Kessel coming off the books for Campbell.

Whomever the Leafs GM is next Summer will simply have to find a cheaper backup to Jack.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Good deal. He's a top pairing guy with some warts, but those warts are why he's making $7.5 million instead of $9.5 million or more.

Because of his skating, he's also probably not going to fall off as much in the later years of the deal compared to some guys who aren't that good at skating.
He's still very questionable in his own zone and has a tendency to play like he's a winger from time to time. This doesn't really address the Leafs issues, more-so a "we're glad that you've been with us for so long" contract, but the Leafs not addressing their issues is pretty common-place nowadays.

Has he earned the contract? Sure thing.

Have the Leafs screwed themselves even more? You bet they did. There goes Muzzin and Kerfoot and whatever is left of the guys that actually seem to care.

Good luck to Toronto by working with almost nothing to secure more "depth", if you can even call it that at this point.

Last edited:

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
For a #2 the salary is fine

my concern is the length and final 3 yrs and the ROI.

I guess they'll worry about that in 6 years from now when they have literally not a single other player on the books.

iliketorock

May 23, 2021
He did score a 72 point season in 2019! That makes him a 70 point D man. Not 4 years ago. He is only 27 at that. Fact is, takes D men longer to hit their prime as well.

Absolutely awesome deal he signed! He took a nice discount to stay in Toronto.

This is his 9th season. He had 20 goals and 72 points once in 9 years but we're going to call him a 70 point defenseman. He's a dman who at 1 point had 70 points, but "hes a 70 point defenseman" makes it sound like hes a threat to consistently get 70 points. Which he isn't.

Regardless $7.5 is an ok deal. Hopefully they can move some money around in the offseason.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Very fair deal for a player of his caliber. Leaf haters hoping that someone from the core has to be traded now are dreaming.
Would you kindly explain to the me the logic behind a leaf hater hoping someone from a core that loses in the first round every year would be wishing that they make a trade? Would a leaf hater rather they stay with the status quo?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad