Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs extend Morgan Rielly (8 years, $7.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Incorrect answer is incorrect.
There would be no need to even ask my first question had they actually had playoff success.
Yeah. But I wasn’t wrong either was I? You needed to shift the goalposts to ‘but no success’

Mar 26, 2010
He's scored 70 points once 4 years ago, and a season at 52 and a bunch in the mid 30s. I don't think it's an awful deal but he's not a 70 point defenseman.
He did score a 72 point season in 2019! That makes him a 70 point D man. Not 4 years ago. He is only 27 at that. Fact is, takes D men longer to hit their prime as well.

Absolutely awesome deal he signed! He took a nice discount to stay in Toronto.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I know right! Look at the Oilers on the Nurse contract! Lol. They paid Almost $10M for a guy who’s peak is 40 points.

Rielly took a nice discount to stay in T.O! Biggest and best Canadian city. D men that score 70 + points in the NHL are cashing in much more than $7.5M
9 million and he is a horse and you paid almost McDavid $$ for a player who's points McDavid beats with just assists alone lol.

I personally have never been that impressed with Reilly, but he had to get paid with how the market is.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He hasn't played a single season as a starter prior to this one, or even as a 1B. He's been a very late bloomer.

He doesn't exactly have the track record for any type of bigger money deal.

Ya but someone is going to give that to him. Next year's Ufa goalie land scape is a waste Land. You better hope he sucks the rest of the year or he's gone.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I think you might be right. Marner most likely getting traded.

Tavares would be the obvious choice, but for numerous reasons that's not going to happen.

Matthews shouldn't be dealt.

Nylander is a fair contract now and not a burden.

Marner looks like he's the overpayment and seems to take the most heat.

Unless a team overpays, the trade when it happens will be a loss for the leafs. However they're likely to get futures and cap space, which if developed and used properly could be a huge haul with the player(s) under contract they get in return

Mar 26, 2010
9 million and he is a horse and you paid almost McDavid $$ for a player who's points McDavid beats with just assists alone lol.

I personally have never been that impressed with Reilly, but he had to get paid with how the market is.
You are talking about the best goal scorer in the NHL and reining Rocket Richard winner. Take it easy man…why did you have to bring McDavid into this thread anyway? To stir the pot?

McDavids secondary assists don’t impress me.

Finally, Nurse is an average D man worth less than half of what he is paid. Average 20-30 point 2nd pairing. He is making $9.25M…stop lying. He took the Oilers to the bank at gun point.

Last edited:
Reactions: TML1990

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Leafs won't be able to afford Campbell now unless someone with a 5+M salary is moved out.

The 1.2 million retention on Kessel's contract comes off the books after this season, and then it's just a matter of paying a team to take Kerfoot's 3.5 million cap hit...

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Ya but someone is going to give that to him. Next year's Ufa goalie land scape is a waste Land. You better hope he sucks the rest of the year or he's gone.

lol Campbell is obsessed with Toronto. He cries about the team and how much he loves the leafs for giving him the chance.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
WTF are you laughing at? This is an amazing contract for a top D man who has scored more points in a Season than any D man on your team hahahahahahaha

Morgan Rielly is a top D Man? Hope you're laughing at your own joke there...

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
With the Rielly signing does this mean that 1 of the big 4 will be traded?

Nylander would be the easiest to trade but the Leafs would be nuts to trade him since he has such a good contract with them.

Tavares is untradeable because no one would want to picked up his contract. The Leafs would probably have to give assets away to trade him.

Matthews should be untouchable unless there is some kind of falling out between him and the team. Since I have never heard anything about that he is not going anywhere.

Marner is the one. He is the only logical choice. Marner is still young enough that some team would be willing to trade for him and may even be willing to pay up (with assets) for him without the Leafs retaining a good chunk of his contract.

If they Leafs do not trade one of the big 4 then they will no longer be a PO team starting as early as next year.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
With the Rielly signing does this mean that 1 of the big 4 will be traded?

Nylander would be the easiest to trade but the Leafs would be nuts to trade him since he has just a good contract with them.

Tavares is untradeable because no one would want to picked up his contract. The Leafs would probably have to give assets away to trade him.

Matthews should be untouchable unless there is some kind of falling out between him and the team. Since I have never heard anything about that he is not going anywhere.

Marner is the one. He is the only logical choice. Marner is still young enough that some team would be willing to trade for him and may even be willing to pay up (with assets) for him without the Leafs retaining a good chunk of his contract.

If they Leafs do not trade one of the big 4 then they will no longer be a PO team starting as early as next year.

maybe. But there are tons of options.

muzzin/holl/kerfoot could easily go. Heck mrazek could go too.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Wow, very surprising deal. Never thought the Leafs would give him that kind of deal.
Very limited player getting term and over payment. This isn't all that unusual, but with the Leafs payroll, its a bit unexpected.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Campbell is someone whose struggled mentally with being comfortable playing in certain environments. That's not to say I'd expect him to pay for pennies, but I'd wager he will be accommodating with management (within reason) for an extension.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Very fair deal for a player of his caliber. Leaf haters hoping that someone from the core has to be traded now are dreaming.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Very fair deal for a player of his caliber. Leaf haters hoping that someone from the core has to be traded now are dreaming.
Good signing, but us Leaf haters hope you keep that soft gutless core until they all retire!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad