Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] Denis Malgin for Mason Marchment

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I don’t see the need or fit. Can’t imagine what Dubas thinks he can do that other AHL call ups can’t...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Craig button just summed everything up perfectly.

I love how fans are coming around on how useful a guy like Hyman can be, how a grinder and puck retriever can get their linemates going. And noting this, management goes and overstocks the other stuff...

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Let's watch Malgin play in the blue and white first. I was a Marchment supporter for years. But at almost 25 it's becoming clear he's barely going to be a 4th liner in the show. We got a guy that CAN play in the NHL and is a couple years younger (1.5 to be exact). I'm fine with it because I don't feel we really lost anything and maybe gained a little something. All in all this is minor. People shouldn't get their feathers ruffled about this

Reactions: MJK

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I love how fans are coming around on how useful a guy like Hyman can be, how a grinder and puck retriever can get their linemates going. And noting this, management goes and overstocks the other stuff...
It’s not just that, it’s the nightly compete.
There isn’t enough of that.
Do you think we were better when we had Komarov and company a few years ago? If you do, why? Because they are stellar players? No. They grind it out every night.

You have a young core with young or younger support. Wrong.

You need to add 4 vets to Tavares/Muzzin who have the nightly Hyman drive train. A little older who will kick your *** if you want to play invisible man all the time.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It’s not just that, it’s the nightly compete.
There isn’t enough of that.
Do you think we were better when we had Komarov and company a few years ago? If you do, why? Because they are stellar players? No. They grind it out every night.

You have a young core with young or younger support. Wrong.

You need to add 4 vets to Tavares/Muzzin who have the nightly Hyman drive train. A little older who will kick your *** if you want to play invisible man all the time.

Oh I'm a firm believer in the grit grinder department. Just funny how we all see Hyman making his lines go and the response seems to ignore that and get another dangle, deke, tic tac toe guy.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
OK. Age (although not much of a difference between the two) versus potential? They knew what they had in Malgin, versus hoping for the potential they'd get with Marchment & that Marchment was more the style of player to address future needs that they were looking for.

I like the trade btw. Not sure if that counts, or if the crusade is more important. Not an earth shattering trade one way or another though of course.

And, its 1 1/2 years older.
I'm not necessarily saying anything one way or the other about the trade itself, more just pointing out that one has almost 190 games at the NHL level and turned 23 less than a month ago, while the other turns 25 in June with 4 games under his belt. I think it's a nothing trade at the bottom of the roster, but the potential for breaking out is certainly higher for the younger player. Or perhaps this is a depth trade made in case they ship out Kerfoot or Kapanen in a trade for a top-4 RD. Who knows, really.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Oh I'm a firm believer in the grit grinder department. Just funny how we all see Hyman making his lines go and the response seems to ignore that and get another dangle, deke, tic tac toe guy.
Matthews/Marner/Nylander and the support of Johnsson/Kapanen/Kerfoot/Dermott/etc, have proven too immature to be the guys above the even younger guys.

The worst thing Dubas did IMO was shedding the guys who battled every night for the collection of Timoshov’s/Petan/now Malgin/Goat/etc who just follow the lead.

You take Tavares/Hyman/Muzzin and you add vet styles like a Foligno in Columbus, a Komarov type, another vet top 4 D who play without having to look in the mirror every night. While you wait for the lightbulbs to come on. A small core around the core that brings it every night will certainly have more impact calling out the rest vs. the coach or a media nobody cares about.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Marhcment wasn't ever going to be that Hyman guy. Might as well cash in your chips and sell high.

Reactions: TDotMassive

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Matthews/Marner/Nylander and the support of Johnsson/Kapanen/Kerfoot/Dermott/etc, have proven too immature to be the guys above the even younger guys.

The worst thing Dubas did IMO was shedding the guys who battled every night for the collection of Timoshov’s/Petan/now Malgin/Goat/etc who just follow the lead.

You take Tavares/Hyman/Muzzin and you add vet styles like a Foligno in Columbus, a Komarov type, another vet top 4 D who play without having to look in the mirror every night. While you wait for the lightbulbs to come on. A small core around the core that brings it every night will certainly have more impact calling out the rest vs. the coach or a media nobody cares about.
Not sure who he shed that fits that description.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Shanny thinking "wonder if Lou would come back?"
pjt-leafspractice-1.jpg
I sure hope not.....ever.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I.e pissed he had to trade for size.(Clifford trade)
I'm sure he's pissed about that. Every single acquisition has been 5'2" and under. Just go back to his trades and his UFA signings.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The big players he acquires fill important roles and play big minutes, the smurfs are injury fill ins and Marlies fodder. If you really want to complain about his last draft, feel free, but you're going to have a tough time finding anyone who agrees that we didn't get great value for the picks we had.

Maybe you're right though, we should go back to Hunter's philosophy and take Rasanens over Robertsons.
Korshkov over Hart and DeBrincat.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
For me here’s the problem. We have an entire spectrum of small guys with skill and skating and some random upside. Ranging from Johnsson, Petan, Bracco, Timashov, Brooks and now Malgin, they are all filling an extremely low impact portion of the roster. Add to the fact that we’ve also run through Ennis and Carcone last season and the fact that our two biggest OHL prospects are Robertson and SDA, why do we have a pipeline of 6-8 players who fill non impact roles that should be upgraded with bigger bodies anyway?

So where are these bigger impact players? You are grasping at straws.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
To put it another way. Even if Denis Malgin turns into Andreas Johnsson, so what? We don’t even want Andreas Johnsson.
But he can be traded for something useful.....see the difference? What would you get for Rasanen or all the other big bodies that washed out because they can't play hockey?

Reactions: MJK

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

They only came around when he started scoring at a PPG pace. Until he stared doing that, they were still demanding he be demoted to the 4th line.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
His record speaks for himself champ. Another five foot nothing player to HOPEFULLY play a 3rd line centre roll when we had a great player already that score thirty goals for us twice for a smallish player that can play centre. Sounds about right to me cause, you know, those 3rd line centres, the smaller the better
Yep, 30 goals in a third line role.

Oh wait.....

No context needed, right champ?

Reactions: Boutette
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad