Confirmed with Link: [TOR/DAL] Leafs acquire rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
so give me an example of a contract because you said someone would offer 3-4 year 5-6 million deal meaning anywhere from 15 to 24 million so give me an example of a contract that would work for your 7 years.
6-7 x $3-4M. Save $2M on the cap to improve elsewhere.

Reactions: conFABulator

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
This year all 4 semi final teams as well as Col and the Rangers. I don’t think at this point Reilly can be relied on as top minute eating D man. Tanev sure as hell can’t be relied on.
I thought Edmonton was a final four team? Are we considering the one dimensional (but good) Bouchard a #1? Or Ekholm? Are Nurse and Ceci in that top four?

Anyway, you are right generally. We can only get there a step at a time. I like our chances with Rielly and Skjei in the top four and $20M to spend when JT and MM come off.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It’s interesting.

Why isn’t Tampa using this with Stamkos? Every UFA should be looking at this

Well, Stamkos probably expects that he's going to play out the full 7 year contract he signs. The idea here is that even Tanev doesn't think he's going to make it that far.

If Tanev is still serviceable and capable of playing in 5-6 years and doesn't want to retire, then so be it. The cap is going rapidly increase in the near future and if the hit is sub 4 million the that's fine for an aged Tanev

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'm not searching the CBA for it. When the contract is eventually signed there will be 7000 tweets explaining the process I'm sure.
I read the last CBS cover to cover at least twice and kept a marked up pdf and I don’t have the new one.
They had a cap recapture in place to prevent this and know the altered that but I don’t remember this loophole and I can’t believe it’s not used. I know the Leafs lots of LTIR dollars but why didn’t Muzzin just retire?

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I believe that.

If Tampa signed Stamkos to a $45 million contract over 8 yrs and paid him max signing bonus in the first three yrs and he receives his $45 million and then retired, TB wouldn’t have a ~ 5.5 million AAV on the cap in the remaining 5 years? That makes no sense.

I need to see that. That makes zero sense and why isn’t used every year.
There are rules as to how much you can actually front load, but the general idea is correct

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Well, Stamkos probably expects that he's going to play out the full 7 year contract he signs. The idea here is that even Tanev doesn't think he's going to make it that far.

If Tanev is still serviceable and capable of playing in 5-6 years and doesn't want to retire, then so be it. The cap is going rapidly increase in the near future and if the hit is sub 4 million the that's fine for an aged Tanev
Same with Stamkos or anyone. If Tampa is going into a rebuild, then he simply retires. Why wouldn’t the Leafs do that with Stamkos?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Fans will complain about this until the first game they watch him play, at which point this board will be full of threads praising him. He is a very good defenseman. Yes, he will be injured at times, but he will instantly make the Leafs a better team. Isn't that the point of all of this?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There are rules as to how much you can actually front load, but the general idea is correct
Yep, a max signing bonus, but over three years they should be able handle most contracts for this aged player.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Same with Stamkos or anyone. If Tampa is going into a rebuild, then he simply retires. Why wouldn’t the Leafs do that with Stamkos?

I would 100% consider tossing Stamkos a contract that pays him decently well for 4 years and then tack some years on to drop the AAV.

Reactions: Nineteen67

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
They can put him on LTIR, front load the contract to make it tradable to a team that needs to get to the cap floor or he can retire. All it costs the Leafs is money not cap space in the latter years.

The team that took everyone's garbage just stopped doing that.

There will always be teams that will take on bad contracts, but it may cost more in the future without Arizona.

LTIR is a possible option, but people think you can just put healthy players there, he needs to be injured and agree.

The concern is his play falls off and he still wants to play.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Fans will complain about this until the first game they watch him play, at which point this board will be full of threads praising him. He is a very good defenseman. Yes, he will be injured at times, but he will instantly make the Leafs a better team. Isn't that the point of all of this?
But will he be a very good player when they’re a contender? That’s the question.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Injury history does concern me but I'm never gonna argue with having a top flight shutdown D-man who can also move the puck well on this team.

Reactions: Dayjobdave

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
It’s not July 1st yet is it ? Did I miss something? Are they done signing players?
We need a trade + signing multiple guys

The draft has come and gone and no one has been dealt

Not even the bottom of barrel in timmins, kampf, reeves, jarnkrok, lilijgren, & dewar

1 or 2 UFA adds wont fix this team

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I believe that.

If Tampa signed Stamkos to a $45 million contract over 8 yrs and paid him max signing bonus in the first three yrs and he receives his $45 million and then retired, TB wouldn’t have a ~ 5.5 million AAV on the cap in the remaining 5 years? That makes no sense.

I need to see that. That makes zero sense and why isn’t used every year.

Why isn’t JT retiring today and moving to the front office?

There are some caveats that make it hard to actually pull off.

The player needs to be younger than 35 when the contract is signed. The lowest year (in salary) can't be less than 40% of the highest year, and each year can't be more than 25% less than the previous year. (I think)

It doesn't make alot of sense for players who will get paid alot (otherwise they're walking away from too much in the later years,) or who can realistically get another contract.

Tavares' current contract wouldn't work, but his next would (hypothetically.)

In the case of Tanev, they could sign him to something like 7x4M (cap hit), and then pay him something like 5.5/5.5/5/3.75/3/2.2/2.2. (give or take) He could walk away from the last 2-3 years and retire but he's still leaving money behind.

I doubt it happens and I might be totally wrong based on how signing bonus is factored in.

*Thanks for the corrections below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nineteen67

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
There are some caveats that make it hard to actually pull off.

The player needs to be younger than 35 when the contract is signed. The lowest year (in salary) can't be less than 40% of the highest year, and each year can't be more than 25% less than the previous year. (I think)

It doesn't make alot of sense for players who will get paid alot (otherwise they're walking away from too much in the later years,) or who can realistically get another contract.

Tavares' current contract wouldn't work, but his next would (hypothetically.)

In the case of Tanev, they could sign him to something like 7x4M (cap hit), and then pay him something like 5.5/5.5/5/3.75/3/2.2/2.2. (give or take) He could walk away from the last 2-3 years and retire but he's still leaving money behind.

I doubt it happens and I might be totally wrong based on how signing bonus is factored in.

pretty sure it's 50% of the highest year so if year 1 is 5.5 the lowest he could be paid later is 2.75 in a year

Reactions: Jmo89

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
The lowest year (in salary) can't be less than 40% of the highest year, and each year can't be more than 25% less than the previous year. (I think)

almost..

Front-Loaded Contract Variability

-The difference between compensation in any year and the year immediately before or after cannot exceed 25% of compensation in Year 1 of the contract

-Compensation in any year cannot be less than 60% of the highest compensation year

Reactions: Jmo89

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
pretty sure it's 50% of the highest year so if year 1 is 5.5 the lowest he could be paid later is 2.75 in a year

almost..

Makes it seem even less likely.

If they sign him, my total guess / speculation is they stretch it out to something like 6 years 4.2M. Brings his average down from 5/5M or 4/6.25M.

Hope he gives 3 good years and a mediocre year and then let him bounce around LTIR.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
So what does everybody think is our most realistic defensive group? Something like the following?

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - UFA
Benoit - Liljegren
Edmunson/Timmins/vet dman

If the UFA signing is a quality top 4 and Tanev stays healthy that's gotta be one of the best groups we've had in the Matthews era. Just concerned about what Tanev and the UFA contract would cost...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad