Confirmed Trade: [TOR/DAL] Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The pressure of 1967 will have Tanev trying his hardest and playing his best. And that is when he’s most likely to get injured. Unfortunate for the Leaf’s, but he probably won’t even be in position to suit up for the playoffs.

Didn’t want him for the Oil for this very reason. Add another year to his age and another injured playoff run. I can’t see this turning out well.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
The pressure of 1967 will have Tanev trying his hardest and playing his best. And that is when he’s most likely to get injured. Unfortunate for the Leaf’s, but he probably won’t even be in position to suit up for the playoffs.

Didn’t want him for the Oil for this very reason. Add another year to his age and another injured playoff run. I can’t see this turning out well.
I don't disagree with the injury risk/likelihood...as a Leafs fan, I would very happy with a low AAV long term deal. I mean like six or seven years for $2.5M or $2.75M. Keep the cost down each year and LTIR the last 3 to 5 years.

He gets his money especially if we front end load it and we get him for a good number. Someone else said it, but this is a cap circumvention strategy that only works for people that sign a deal before they hit 35. Tanev is 34.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't disagree with the injury risk/likelihood...as a Leafs fan, I would very happy with a low AAV long term deal. I mean like six or seven years for $2.5M or $2.75M. Keep the cost down each year and LTIR the last 3 to 5 years.

He gets his money especially if we front end load it and we get him for a good number. Someone else said it, but this is a cap circumvention strategy that only works for people that sign a deal before they hit 35. Tanev is 34.
With some LtIR cheat code it could be a good contract. Lots of term at his age though, but it makes sense if Leaf’s can pull it off.

Reactions: conFABulator

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
He’s still one of the best defensive dmen in the league. His body has been through hell though and he’s turning 35, so you never know when a sudden drop can happen. I still expect him to still be great for a couple years.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
“The very obvious plan” still relies on a 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 year old Tanev being healthy and not declining. Did he not just literally miss Dallas’ last few games when he would have been most needed due to injury? And again, there is no way to guarantee a player will honor an “illegal” handshake agreement. When it comes time to hang them up, if they don’t want to, you think you can go to the league offices and say “but when we signed him to an 8 year deal he promised us he’d only play 5 of it!! How else were we supposed to manipulate the cap?!!”

You thinking this would be some master stroke from a team that historically hasn’t really made any, because of intangible “agreements” made years earlier is fairly optimistic.
Lupul, Murray, Muzzin...

Leafs have had their fair share of getting around deals of aging guys with health issues

Reactions: Lilou

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
With some LtIR cheat code it could be a good contract. Lots of term at his age though, but it makes sense if Leaf’s can pull it off.
I really do think this is the play and then the rest of the league is going to be up in arms about it and then we will say...Vegas can do it, why not us?

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Although he's the type of defenseman the Leafs can use, I hope they don't give him an eight year deal or something like that.

They can use more offense from their defense as well. Hopefully they're not done improving their D.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I really do think this is the play and then the rest of the league is going to be up in arms about it and then we will say...Vegas can do it, why not us?
You guys already got Robidas Island going, if no one is up in arms by now, you guys are probably in the clear.

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014
These types of additions by Toronto are annoying.

Every year it's the same thing with this team and why they constantly fail. Getting these well past their prime players who are done or were never really good to begin with. Marleau, Thornton, Giordano, etc...Then non-Leafs fans have to hear that *THIS* is the signing that'll put the Leafs over the edge. Cue the threads here of, "Tanev is coming to burn your villages", "Is Tanev the best D in the league?" etc...On top of that, even if you manage to ignore it on the boards, then you have to hear about it in the media constantly of how this is for sure what the Leafs needed and what a great addition blah blah blah. It goes on and on.

I don't know how Leafs fans even buy in to it or tolerate this anymore.

Reactions: jsol and dukeofjive

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I'd like him in Vancouver. Problem is Brad sucks as, a GM when it comes to contacts, especially for guys he's got a hard on for. It will be an ugly contract but that's not a knock on Tanev, I just have very little faith in Brad.
its all good... if its a bad contract, ill say the same... but if its short term that fine but even better if its 5-7 years at a low cap hit.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They won’t because having an old player who’s cooked on your roster is a burden even if they’re on LTIR, compared to not having them on the roster.

This is why Hextall traded Pronger’s contract as soon as his salary dropped down to the minimum.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
These types of additions by Toronto are annoying.

Every year it's the same thing with this team and why they constantly fail. Getting these well past their prime players who are done or were never really good to begin with. Marleau, Thornton, Giordano, etc...Then non-Leafs fans have to hear that *THIS* is the signing that'll put the Leafs over the edge. Cue the threads here of, "Tanev is coming to burn your villages", "Is Tanev the best D in the league?" etc...On top of that, even if you manage to ignore it on the boards, then you have to hear about it in the media constantly of how this is for sure what the Leafs needed and what a great addition blah blah blah. It goes on and on.

I don't know how Leafs fans even buy in to it or tolerate this anymore.
Which teams don’t have aging vets on their team?

Reactions: Lilou

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Yes, and 35 year olds with tons of miles on them and an injury history are guaranteed to be good in years 3-4-5 as well, right? And there’s a mechanism in the CBA to force a player to honor a 5 year old handshake agreement to retire in year 6? And somehow any of this has less risk than renting a 34 year old for one playoff run? Poor Leafs fans, always being picked on. Has nothing to do with their management just not being real good.

This sounds like Leaf fans rationalizing letting Hyman walk lol

So Toronto going to 7 years on a 34 year old to circumvent the cap?

With Tanevs injury history you just know he'll ride out multiple years on Robidas island.

Yes.

And hopefully they can find a reason to put Tavares on LTIR in March until game 1 of the playoffs

Strangle

May 4, 2009
We should only be look at 3-4 years max. Why anyone would sign a 35 year old more than that I dunno.

I’ll explain the idea:

Longer term brings the AAV down to $2.5 or $3m

The length of the deal is irrelevant, because Tanev won’t finish the contract. And when he LTIRetires, the cap comes off the books anyways.

So the only real metric here is how low the Leafs can get the AAV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad