Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Chris Tanev signs extension with the Maple Leafs (6 years, $4.5M AAV)

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
That might be 'optimistic'.......with the frightening run of injuries this guy has had, when the bottom drops out of the bag, it will happen quickly.

Tanev has had a stellar NHL career for a guy who was never drafted, and has made every blueline he's ever played on that much better. But he'll be a serious 'buy-out' candidate in two seasons. And the Lafs will still be paying Tanev when his hits his 40th birthday.

But when you're as desperate for quality d-men as the Leafs, are, I guess 'desperate times' call for 'desperate measures'.
Nah he’ll be retired or Ltir long before that . Hes going to help immensely till then

6 year deal, takes him to what, 44 yrs old??

Of course the league is looking at this.............what are the rules about signing a contract after the age of 35?
Try 40 . You don’t math well do you …

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Dallas made him a priority. Their GM said that after trading for him
But couldn’t make it work knowing the price

Never seen A cat just have such a profound effect on locker rooms.

Could be great for Toronto especially that softy Marner who is more interested in the offseason as soon as the playoffs start.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
He's had so many injuries that it won't be a surprise if he's a LTIR candidate in a few years. There is nothing the league can do about this if he's legit hurt. This is not the same situation where someone is put on LTIR and then is back on the first playoff game. I think that is something the league is more likely to view poorly, in light of some recent ltir 'injuries'.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
He's had so many injuries that it won't be a surprise if he's a LTIR candidate in a few years. There is nothing the league can do about this if he's legit hurt. This is not the same situation where someone is put on LTIR and then is back on the first playoff game. I think that is something the league is more likely to view poorly, in light of some recent ltir 'injuries'.
Tanev has never had the type of injuries that would see him on LTIR.
What gets him injured is what also makes him good, he sacrifices his body without a second thought.
He provides zero offense, is a good puck mover but he keeps getting paid because of his warrior mentality, literally putting any part of his body in front of a shot.

His types of injuries are the worst for teams looking to LTIR because his injuries are usually the 4-6 week type so unless he gets injured before the TDL with less than 4-6 weeks left, teams can't even add a player.

He will play until he's at least 40.
The question is how long until his game drops off and he's a bottom pairing guy? My guess 2-3 years.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
Oh my God the cope in here..arguing what to call a contract. Winning the semantics argument, congratulations.

TOR management gave a 34 year old injury prone middle D 6 years with a full NMC at full market rate.

It's a horrible move. I guess taking solace in the fact that "he can waive it if he wants" makes it less horrible.

Tanev agent deserves a bonus

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Oh my God the cope in here..arguing what to call a contract. Winning the semantics argument, congratulations.

TOR management gave a 34 year old injury prone middle D 6 years with a full NMC at full market rate.

It's a horrible move. I guess taking solace in the fact that "he can waive it if he wants" makes it less horrible.

Tanev agent deserves a bonus
There is not really any argument- it is not a +35 contract. Tanev has been pretty healthy the last couple of years. The fact that he can "waive if he wants" is just a fact. There is no solace to be taken. It is not a horrible contract at all.

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
I'm sure eventually it will be a bad deal but I'm not worried about 2029
you will be.... you will be......
yoda-you-will-be.jpg

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Some players play till they're 40; but those players are typically hall of fame level like Chris Pronger or Duncan Keith.

Then you have a 2nd pairing d-man like Tanev and everyone here knows there's a 0% chance he plays this contract out. It's purpose is for buy out in the remaining years.

Reactions: BostonBruins11

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Some players play till they're 40; but those players are typically hall of fame level like Chris Pronger or Duncan Keith.

Then you have a 2nd pairing d-man like Tanev and everyone here knows there's a 0% chance he plays this contract out. It's purpose is for buy out in the remaining years.
But you can't buy him out if he's injured, n'est-ce pas ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3