Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Chris Tanev signs extension with the Maple Leafs (6 years, $4.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Far from a Leaf fan, and I’m not sure this deal pans out in the long term.

But I will say I give a lot of props to a guy like Tanev who clearly wants to live and play in Canada. Has spent his entire career north of the border save for a few months where he was traded as a deadline acquisition. Much better than some of these guys who are proud Canadians when it’s convenient to them and they get to represent the country on an international level but would never willingly sign with or be traded to a Canadian team.

Demigod11

Jun 28, 2021
Here's a snapshot of Treliving working on the Leafs playoff window:

Attach-Plywood-to-Window-Frame.jpg

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Don't you think Murray would have earned a lot more money on his new contract if he actually played last season if he was capable? Your conspiracy theory doesn't even make sense.

You can't honestly be trying to claim that Matt Murray faked an injury, multiple doctor's risked their careers committing fraud by claiming he was injured and then a professional athlete then went and got an unneccessary hip surgery (that would have to be done by an unscrupulous doctor) all so the Maple Leafs could avoid his salary?

Do you honestly believe this?
No. I literally said I'm not on team "Murray conspiracy" and I believe he had an injury. Are you able to read?

When the Murray thing occurred, I actually argued with others that there was no conspiracy, that Murray was not faking an injury/surgery/whatever, doctors were not making it up, etc. I'm saying Murray and the Leafs had a clear mutal interest where him going on LTIR would be beneficial for the Leafs cap situation, and they'd make sure Murray continues his career (and they did, giving him another contract).

Please go find a single post where I said Murray was not injured. Go do that and report back. I think I'll be waiting a while for that.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
This is a good add for the Leafs. Obviously a few years too long, but cap will go up a fair amount. I'm guessing Tanev would have been at 5.5-6 on a 4 year deal based on what the market was paying. Leafs did well to keep the cap low for next year when they really need it.
That’s exactly what they did. Everyone knows he won’t be playing in 6 years. Leafs will find a way to have him on LTIR. Win-win for leafs and Tanev.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
As long as LTIR is an option, at least they can hide his salary if and when he goes down. Tanev has only played one full season in his career which is remarkable considering he is 34 years old.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Happy the B's got Zadorov for $500,000 more.

No chance Tanev plays till he's 40

Yeah, but to be fair, those two guys address completely different needs. Tanev is in the mold of what we've needed in Toronto for years, albeit in the late stages of his career. Boston is pretty well situated on the right side already with McAvoy, Carlo, Peeke. Zadorov was a better pickup for them, Tanev a better fit for Toronto.

mlzy

Sponsor
Feb 7, 2009
Don't sell Klingberg short, he *also* got hip surgery to really make it convincing.

Part of why it fooled so many people was because Klingberg and Murray were both Unrestricted Free Agents so the each literally were going to forfeit millions of dollars but simply missing the entire season, but they were such team guys they were willing to make that sacrifice.
Enough so that they even gave Murray some more money this year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad