Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That's not it. He's scared of contact.

That can change, though. McLeod still has the makings of a solid NHLer, but he needs to get past that mental block. A trade may be what was needed (kind of like Andrew Cogliano way back when.)
That's an awesome comparable that I just used as well.

Enjoy your small one demential forward that won’t do anything come playoff time.
Which team are you talking to here?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
No he hangs on to pucks well. Can circle the entire o zone with the puck on his stick. Doesn’t seem to have the brain to figure out what to do next though. And yes he shies away from contact.
Can’t really say I’ve ever seen him do that. Can say that in the playoffs that most of the time when a forward failed to get the puck out or failed to engage with an opponent physically (Game 6 against Van for example) it was McLeod.

It’s easy to cheer for McLeod and want him to do well because he has an amazing smile and can skate like the wind. But really he’s the same perimeter player he was in junior, has all the same holes in his game he had in junior still. Maybe a change of scenery will be the wake up call he needs because being a healthy scratch in the playoffs didn’t do the trick.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
you either think the Buffalo GM is the biggest idiot in the world. Or they know Savoie isn't that great and hasn't lived up to his hype. If he was so good he wouldn't be in the trade.
Why can't it be both?

Gave up a 2nd round pick for Beck Malenstyn. There are half a dozen guys waiting for league min contracts that are better.

If you drafted a player two years ago at 9 and are shipping him for a good bottom sixer on an expiring deal, (you will pay him over 3 million next year by the way), you are a bad GM. On two levels.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Foegle and McLeod are losses that Oilers will feel. I like those two going up against the Vegas and Vancouver mammoth D’s more than Savoie and Skinner.

• Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Are you serious? McLeod was arguably the softest player on our entire team. He is NOT a "PITA to play again", he does NOT have anything even resembling "snarl", hell, he's not even really a C, he is more of a winger and was used as such.

Look, I like McLeod a lot honestly, but its really obvious that people haven't watched this player.

Buffalo got a guy who can help you win, he is great defensively, has speed to burn, has some offensive punch and is still young. He is good player, but he is not anything like you suggested.

You’re confusing “tough to play against” for “physical.” They’re not the same thing. I can think of a dozen excellent defensive forwards who aren’t mean, but they sure control the ice. That’s what people are talking about when they say McLeod makes Buffalo harder to play against. Defensive/possession metrics.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
has savoie not developed the way sabers thought he would? assumed he was a pretty highly rated prospect
He hasn't. There are guys who are way more up to date on prospect progress than me. But the general take is that his skill and hockey sense has not caght up to his speed. It started to look like he'd top out as an undersized energy line guy.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I can’t wrap my head around this trade at all, McLeod is the definition of what it means to be a soft perimeter player who’s allergic to any sort of contact despite his decent size. I would have traded him for a bag of pucks never mind a blue chip prospect like Savoie.

Jackson can remain GM for the foreseeable future please

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
It wouldn't surprise me if Savoie becomes Logan Stankoven-like trade deadline call up in lieu of a trade for another player. Yeah, Savoie is small, but stick him on Draisatl's wing and he'll be extremely effective.

I've always felt the McLeod brothers lacked anything between the ears. I highly doubt Ryan McLeod ever eclipses 40 points in a season. He can skate fast, but can't think the game at a high level.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You’re confusing “tough to play against” for “physical.” They’re not the same thing. I can think of a dozen excellent defensive forwards who aren’t mean, but they sure control the ice. That’s what people are talking about when they say McLeod makes Buffalo harder to play against. Defensive/possession metrics.
Those metrics are influenced by who he plays with as well. Watching him in isolation, he’s not a difficult player to play against.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Foegle and McLeod are losses that Oilers will feel. I like those two going up against the Vegas and Vancouver mammoth D’s more than Savoie and Skinner.
Both of those guys were useless in the playoffs. The only time either guy did anything in the playoffs is when they played with Draisaitl.

Reactions: Kerberos

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
That's okay, Ryan McLeod does very little and he doesn't do anything come playoff time either, that's why the Oilers are getting rid of him.
Oilers are getting rid of him because they 1. can’t afford him, and 2. Are too caught up on “9th overall selection 2 years ago” just like they did with Griffin Reinhart in 2015.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Can’t really say I’ve ever seen him do that. Can say that in the playoffs that most of the time when a forward failed to get the puck out or failed to engage with an opponent physically (Game 6 against Van for example) it was McLeod.

It’s easy to cheer for McLeod and want him to do well because he has an amazing smile and can skate like the wind. But really he’s the same perimeter player he was in junior, has all the same holes in his game he had in junior still. Maybe a change of scenery will be the wake up call he needs because being a healthy scratch in the playoffs didn’t do the trick.
It was McLeod at times in the playoffs. Most notably a puck whiff giveaway that eventually lead to his scratching. Kulak had a similar one too. Holloway also got torched on a winger breakout mistake.

But Mcleod was scratched for a stretch where mistakes like that piled up in a short stretch combined with not enough offensive production. Knob sat him to get some nervousness out of his game and give him a reset. Then he was back in the line up and actually did start to produce for us.

I agree he’s a perimeter player though. And he doesn’t have enough physicality. I just don’t think it’s his hands that are holding him back.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
They were both sitting in the pressbox at some point in the playoffs. They will be fine without them. The biggest irritant of that Canucks D is now in Boston.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad