Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Chris Tanev signs extension with the Maple Leafs (6 years, $4.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I wanted to sign him to a 2 year contract max. This seems a bit beyond the realm of how dumb I thought a team could be. 3 years would be reasonable, 4 too much. 6 means there is some delusion or intentional cap circumvention intended.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
If you think Tanev is not gonna retire or go on LTIR you're crazy. He's securing his future and the Leafs are a rich team able to pay him to have him for a few years and then retire into the sunset.

Getting a #2 defenseman for the Leafs at 4.5 and then bitching about the contract is hilarious to me. Dallas fans are pissed they couldn't get him back at 4.5.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
It's a smart deal for the Leafs, so glad they didn't fall into the Stamkos trap. Exact type of player they needed to hopefully secure the back end. They still have plenty of forwards they could trade for meaninful pieces. Overpaid, probably.

Reactions: Lilou

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
Gotta learn how to win a round consistently first. Toronto is 1st round fodder.

This is wrong and not in the "tangibles" kind of wrong, but in the easily provable kind of wrong.

Losing is losing, winning gets you a cup, there is no kinda win, kinda lose and even if there was kinda win, kinda lose there is nothing to show that kinda win, kinda lose helps lead you to winning a cup.

I wanted to sign him to a 2 year contract max. This seems a bit beyond the realm of how dumb I thought a team could be. 3 years would be reasonable, 4 too much. 6 means there is some delusion or intentional cap circumvention intended.

Well the league has to ok all trades and they ok'd this one so your already wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This is wrong and not in the "tangibles" kind of wrong, but in the easily provable kind of wrong.

Losing is losing, winning gets you a cup, there is no kinda win, kinda lose and even if there was kinda win, kinda lose there is nothing to show that kinda win, kinda lose helps lead you to winning a cup.

Well the league has to ok all trades and they ok'd this one so your already wrong.
Do you think the issue was the trade? Oof.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That's a long contract. Wow.
It's pretty obviously a cap circumvention contract. Tanev's not playing until he's 40. He's getting LTIRetired halfway through this deal. It's to keep the AAV down.

If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'. Good job Treliving.

If you think Tanev is not gonna retire or go on LTIR you're crazy. He's securing his future and the Leafs are a rich team able to pay him to have him for a few years and then retire into the sunset.

Getting a #2 defenseman for the Leafs at 4.5 and then bitching about the contract is hilarious to me. Dallas fans are pissed they couldn't get him back at 4.5.
Yep. It's a clear cap circumvention deal. He's not playing it out.

But hey, you gotta push the rules as far as you can. I respect it.

Brutal term. Christ. And NMC? f*** off
It's an obvious LTIRetirement contract my guy.

Seems kinda bad towards the end of the contract, no?
He's getting LTIRetired in year 3 or 4.

Reactions: CanadienShark

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
He's still decent but this seems like too much.

Hakanpaa was a good signing, OEL was not, this is in the middle... They improved their D, but not sure if it was enough.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
It's pretty obviously a cap circumvention contract. Tanev's not playing until he's 40. He's getting LTIRetired halfway through this deal. It's to keep the AAV down.

You realize he has to suffer a career ending injury right? You can't just tell Tanev " hey we know longer need you anymore and eve tho your perfectly healthy and still want to play, were gonna need you to commit fraud and risk a massive lawsuit.
Not happening. He's going to play the entire six years.
Jake Debrusk signed a 7 year dealsbd will still be younger than Tanev is today.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Leafs desperation is showing, gotta go all in and bury the future for a cup.

Well, yeah. It's been eight years since they drafted Matthews and they've won one playoff round since then. Of course they should be trying to win now - why wouldn't they be?

And they're not giving up anything future-related in this signing.

This guy gets it.

Given Tanev's injury history and the way he plays, will anyone really be raising eyebrows if he can't play in the NHL at age 37 or 38?

If he struggles but wants to keep playing in the last year or second-last year of the contract and is cleared to do so, they can keep him around the team and healthy scratch him frequently. Who knows what the cap and their cap situation will be by then and what options will be available to upgrade their defense.

They just need Tanev to perform at a high level for the next couple of years, which he should be able to do considering how he played in the playoffs this year.

Reactions: Lilou

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Tanev is going to be heavily leaned on more by the Leafs than he ever was as a Flame or Star. I just hope he can stay healthy. He's the best shutdown D in the game when he is.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Dude has only ever played one full season in his entire career and he’s already 34. Brutal signing. Let’s all not be surprised when he’s out 30 games again.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
he’s worth over 5 Million, technically this is more like a 3x4.5M deal with the rest of the contract on LTIR because the leafs can afford it.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm only replying to what you wrote, if you are confused about something it's because you either didn't read it when you wrote it or you didn't read it when you replied.
You may want to read it again. Maybe someone could help you with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad