Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Chris Tanev signs extension with the Maple Leafs (6 years, $4.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It’s amazing how many people don’t understand, that LTIR has to be approved by a team doctor and then 1 or 2 independent doctors every October, and that independent doctors are likely not the same each year. :laugh:

And you don’t seem to understand how collusion and corruption work.

Basically, a doctor is gonna benefit from their association with a team, and they can build that connection if they play ball. Meanwhile the player is often somewhat legit hurt, old, and just wants to get paid, so can he play banged up at 35+ years old? Doc just has to say “no” and he has a lot more connections, and it really doesn’t harm anyone.

Anywho, good deal for Toronto regardless. Tough term, but with cap going up that buyout should be ok, worst case.

Edit- didn’t realize he was already older. Who knows anymore, just put him on IR before the trade deadline and it’s f***ing fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Before the Island was for players who couldn't perform up to the contract (Robidas, Lupul, Murray, etc.) so they were exiled. I do remember Lupul saying on social media he was healthy enough to play, and then him pulling the post and never being heard from again.

I think that this is the first time that it's pretty apparent that an extended stay on the Island is being actively planned as part of a UFA contract. I think that TB is planning the same the same thing if Stamkos comes back on their reported 8x$3M offer.
It's risky though, for a couple of reasons: first the player either has to believe they're too injured to continue their career or be willing to lie about being too injured to continue their career. This doesn't often happen for players who can still physically play because you have to tear the jersey off most players' backs when its time to call it a career. And second, the NHL could change rules in the next few years if they feel that players are being pressured to overstate injuries and retire with years left on their deals.

All that to say, I think the most likely scenario is that Chris Tanev plans to play until he's 40. Everyone hand-waving away the risk here by saying he'll clearly be "sent to Robidas island" is talking about a situation that hasn't really ever played out before.

Danarqhy

Oct 27, 2022
Check Republic
youtube.com
Bahaha hilarious deal for a guy that's basically one foot out the door from the league already. If Tanev only lasts 1 more year I wouldn't be terribly shocked, lots of hard miles on that 34YO body...

Treliving bringing those summer of Brad vibes from Calgary to TO.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not bad.

Leafs get the AAV they want, Tanev gets the term he wants, and presumably they'll find some sucker to take the contract in 2-3 years with a sweetener.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
They need a top pairing RHD to play with Reilly. They don't need it this bad though. It's possible that tanev has already played his best hockey and *every year of this contract will be brutal starting in October*.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
It’s amazing how many people don’t understand, that LTIR has to be approved by a team doctor and then 1 or 2 independent doctors every October, and that independent doctors are likely not the same each year. :laugh:

good news, "not playing NHL hockey" is always going to be seen as the right choice for your health in your late 30s

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
More blatant cap circumvention than this you have to look for. It's obvious this deal was only signed to get the AAV down and then ltir him and get rid of the cap hit for the last 3 years.
It's basically like all the frontloaded long term deals signed a decade ago to get the cap hit down.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Victor000

Dec 23, 2022
I think I like Tanev a lot more than most people but 6 years is insane. He's an older, banged up player who's never been fleet of foot. He shouldn't get more than 2 years, although I can imagine some desperate team giving him 3. Six years is just nuts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad