Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Chris Tanev signs extension with the Maple Leafs (6 years, $4.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
A summary of basically every Treliving move ever
GRZ8cH1XwAAZ1GT

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
What does 80% in bonuses mean??
It means that the contract is essentially "buy-out proof" as there is very little salary cap relief from buying out a contract where it's paid out in bonus (vs. regular salary).

If you're a GM and an agent is making a contract painful to buy out beyond the normal pain of 2/3 cash outlay and the resulting dead cap - that's a pretty good indicator that it's a bad contract to sign.

Reactions: NoelVilla

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
For everyone acting like it’s a guarantee that Tanev has agreed to retire in 3 years and that this is just business as usual: is there a single example of Toronto doing this before?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It’s amazing how some people think every bad contract ends up on Robida Island.
I guess all of the buyouts we’re seeing of older players are just anomalies.
This contract will be ok for 2 years but a problem after that imo.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I love Tanev, but that's too long and too much. I remember when Calgary signed him to 4 x 4 and everyone laughed at the Flames and said that contract wasn't going to age well.

Crazy how much age discounts have changed in 4-5 years. 34 was old then, now apparently it's not a concern at all

A player like Tanev playing quality hockey at 36+ would have been seen like a miracle.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
This just reaffirms my belief that the poll section of this site could outperform the average NHL GM.

Reactions: Albz

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
4.5 mil isn't bad with rising cap the term sucks but if it was shorter it would be a bigger cap hit they hope he is at least good for half that

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
It’s amazing how many people don’t understand, that LTIR has to be approved by a team doctor and then 1 or 2 independent doctors every October, and that independent doctors are likely not the same each year.
Do you actually think, with Tanevs injury history, that this is going to be an issue?

You WANT it to be an issue, but unfortunately for you it’s not going to end that way.

Carmine Cirella

Jun 29, 2023
Turns 35 mid season (just before Xmas) and has only played over 70 games once. Just downright egregious to throw him six years. I get that they see his shutdown, shot blocking style as an ideal fit on the right side, but that doesn't mean you go to absurd lengths to make it happen.

If he's healthy for the playoffs I guess that's all they really care about. But that seems so far from being a guarantee unless they sit him out all year.

Out of 492 regular season games across the six seasons on this contract, would you take the over or under on him missing 199.5 of those games?
Over the last 4 seasons with the Flames (and a couple of games with Dallas) he only missed like 20 games TOTAL. He has a (well earned) reputation for being injury prone with the Canucks, but since he left there he's been surprisingly healthy (especially for the kind of game he plays). Now, will this continue in his mid to late 30s...that's another question...

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
For everyone acting like it’s a guarantee that Tanev has agreed to retire in 3 years and that this is just business as usual: is there a single example of Toronto doing this before?
Before the Island was for players who couldn't perform up to the contract (Robidas, Lupul, Murray, etc.) so they were exiled. I do remember Lupul saying on social media he was healthy enough to play, and then him pulling the post and never being heard from again.

I think that this is the first time that it's pretty apparent that an extended stay on the Island is being actively planned as part of a UFA contract. I think that TB is planning the same the same thing if Stamkos comes back on their reported 8x$3M offer.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Holy smokes. I like Tanev a lot but he turns 35 in Dec. A 6 year contract for a soon to be 35yr old!? That's just straight up bad. You might get 2 seasons out of him before age becomes a factor. There is no way in reality a 37 year old Tanev, with the miles he's logged, can be an effective regular contributor in the lineup. This is just a terrible contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad