Proposal: TOR - CHI Hyman and Sparks for Darling (3 Player Special)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Better prospects?

The same better prospect who's played a whole 16 NHL games?!

What did Hyman do that left such an impression on you? Can't our winger depth do something better than what he can offer?

4 goals while playing a 4th line role. looked good on the forecheck.
54 pts in 37 games 2 seasons ago in the ncaa (vesey had 46 in 33 this year)

he might be something, he might not. id rather keep him then parting with him and leivo for a backup that got exposed when crawford went down.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
yeah Zach Hyman isn't going anywhere. He looked great albeit small sample size and our coach loves him.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
has a young goalies stock ever taken so much of a hit after a few bad games as this kid?

sparks had a .936SV% in the ECHL 2 years ago, .928% in the AHL this year...and only just turned 23 six weeks ago. 15 games in the NHL doesnt mean much as a 22 year old. he certaintly deserves another chance

You're quite right, and I think he will get another look before the Leafs decide what they have in him. That said, he'd better look good when if and when the time comes.

You would think the Leafs know full well that he was not put in a position to succeed in his Matthews-quest starts.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
babcock couldnt shutup about hyman at the end of the season....
he clearly likes his game.

time to lock this one. terrible proposal. OP is getting salty

It's not so much about the three individual players involved. It's the whole idea of the Leafs trading young assets for a back-up goalie at this particular time that doesn't make a lot of sense, no matter which pieces to the puzzle you choose.

It would be hard to think of a sensible trade in this context.

The Leafs probably want a free agent or a waivers freebie. There should be a few around.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
zach hyman is obviously the second coming of Tomas Holmstrom

weird deal anyway..as Sparks is actually an OK goalie, think the Leafs give up too much after Darling had a tough year.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Zero point for the Leafs to make a move before seeing who gets tossed on waviers after TC.

Lots of names there that will be comparable to Darling.

If they're without a backup come November then it'll be time to make a move.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Considering what I heard about scott darling this past weekend....I doubt he stays in the NHL so this trade is a mess

MarryMarner

Mar 31, 2008
Better prospects?

The same better prospect who's played a whole 16 NHL games?!

What did Hyman do that left such an impression on you? Can't our winger depth do something better than what he can offer?

Babs loves Hyman - was stated last year - our prospects have a lot of skill but Hyman brings the energy to be a guy who can move up and down the line up.

He's not worth trading for a backup when can sign a free agent and give up nothing.

ForSpareParts*

babcock couldnt shutup about hyman at the end of the season....
he clearly likes his game.

time to lock this one. terrible proposal. OP is getting salty

Does Babcock make trades? Thank goodness for the sake of this proposal that there is a committee.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well it looks like the Enroth rumour is dead and gone. Time for Lou to strengthen the goaltending more. There is a wealth of wingers in Toronto. Chicago could use Hyman's work ethic and versatility. Crawford is going to play close to 60 games next season. Sparks or Johansson could share the rest.

:leafs

Scott Darling

:hawks

Zach Hyman
Garret Sparks

:poutine:

You're really bad at this. Upside I guess is at least your consistent.

ForSpareParts*

Considering what I heard about scott darling this past weekend....I doubt he stays in the NHL so this trade is a mess

Will Hyman stay in the NHL?

You know a rumour? Care to share?

thesaadfather

Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
I'd rather just keep Darling, honestly. He's proven himself a capable backup and has shown flashes of great play, like when he bailed us out against the Preds.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Well it looks like the Enroth rumour is dead and gone. Time for Lou to strengthen the goaltending more. There is a wealth of wingers in Toronto. Chicago could use Hyman's work ethic and versatility. Crawford is going to play close to 60 games next season. Sparks or Johansson could share the rest.

:leafs

Scott Darling

:hawks

Zach Hyman
Garret Sparks

:poutine:
I thought the Leafs are close to signing Enroth, Not sure why Lou would be interested in Darling.

Mad Brills*

I'm not against flipping a prospect for a decent young-ish backup, but not hyman.

more of a leipsic type.

Mad Brills*

Darling's a bit too old for what I"d want if I'm trading a decent asset for a backup.

Rather dump a 5th on hutchison instead of this though

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
Chicago's cap situation long-term isn't resolved, and Crawford may get moved yet(if a goalie market opens up). They need a backup they feel can take over if needed. Supposedly they've felt Darling can do it(so I've read; I disagree). With Sparks as backup, they have to hang on to Darling, and they really have no other moves to make to reduce cap.
As a Hawks fan, this is news to me.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Chicago's cap situation long-term isn't resolved, and Crawford may get moved yet(if a goalie market opens up). They need a backup they feel can take over if needed. Supposedly they've felt Darling can do it(so I've read; I disagree). With Sparks as backup, they have to hang on to Darling, and they really have no other moves to make to reduce cap.

Chicago has no intention of moving Crawford now or in the future. His contract is the going rate for a top ten goalie, he is still in his prime, and is absolutely a trusted part of the team's core.

Scott Darling is not, and has never been considered a potential replacement. Chicago signed Johansson from Europe this year to come over and learn in the AHL for a season before Darling departs as a UFA next offseason when he will hopefully become the full time backup if all goes well. Just as occurred with Darling, and Raanta before him.

thedoughboy

Feb 22, 2015
Tinyest of the fifty
I'd rather keep Darling, I guess I value him more considering what he could do if he had some extended time in net if crow gets injured. I believe he could pull a Johnson like last year and play as well as andersen did.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Chicago has no intention of moving Crawford now or in the future. His contract is the going rate for a top ten goalie, he is still in his prime, and is absolutely a trusted part of the team's core.

Scott Darling is not, and has never been considered a potential replacement. Chicago signed Johansson from Europe this year to come over and learn in the AHL for a season before Darling departs as a UFA next offseason when he will hopefully become the full time backup if all goes well. Just as occurred with Darling, and Raanta before him.

Somebody's gotta move to fit Panarin's next deal. Unless they want to go with 0 top-six LWs. The Hawks are out of moves they "want" to make.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I am a Leafs fan and I don't think Hyman is all that good. I think he's ok, but the overcrowded winger position the Leafs have make this decision easy.

Too bad for Toronto that they have to give up an asset, but they have yet to hire a back-up.

Leafs lack size on the wings, especially with their prospects. I'd rather move a small winger if we're looking to fill a need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad