Confirmed Trade: [TOR/ANA] Bernier to Anaheim for conditional 2017 pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Anyone else find the timing of this curious?

Seems like they would have gotten more value mid season or at trade deadline....so why now?

Have to assume Lou is eying an addition to the roster that is going to increase the cap hit.

Any guesses?

It was reported that this was essentially part of the Andersen trade. But Anaheim needed the Leafs to pay the July 1st signing bonus in Berniers contract. So once that was out of the way, the move went ahead.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It was reported that this was essentially part of the Andersen trade. But Anaheim needed the Leafs to pay the July 1st signing bonus in Berniers contract. So once that was out of the way, the move went ahead.

Not sure about that. If it was really part of the Andersen deal it would have happened pretty much right after July 1st.

Lamoriello said it happened the morning of the trade, which was yesterday and made it seem like it was a very sudden news. Perhaps Anaheim was looking at different options and didn't really get who they wanted on free agency or through trade.

Either way, we just shed a much needed 4M of the cap. Hopefully we can shed a bit more.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Not sure about that. If it was really part of the Andersen deal it would have happened pretty much right after July 1st.

Lamoriello said it happened the morning of the trade, which was yesterday and made it seem like it was a very sudden news. Perhaps Anaheim was looking at different options and didn't really get who they wanted on free agency or through trade.

Either way, we just shed a much needed 4M of the cap. Hopefully we can shed a bit more.

Probably the $2 million signing bonus was a non starter for the Ducks. Maybe the Ducks told the Leafs, after July 1, we might circle back with you depending on how the other UFA backup goalies shake down.

What's frustrating with the Ducks is that they are a legit contender now, yet the ownership group won't up the payroll/budget to take advantage of their window to win a Cup. They should be maxing out on the cap, not taking a $4 million hit on a backup goalie, even though they pay him significantly less than his cap hit.

They need help on offence. Need a scoring winger. Unless one of Ritchie can step up to take that on or if Noesen can overcome 2 injury plagued seasons to be a #2 line scorer for them. Rather have seen them use the cap space for that. Plus, I don't see a reason to keep Stoner.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
Probably the $2 million signing bonus was a non starter for the Ducks. Maybe the Ducks told the Leafs, after July 1, we might circle back with you depending on how the other UFA backup goalies shake down.

What's frustrating with the Ducks is that they are a legit contender now, yet the ownership group won't up the payroll/budget to take advantage of their window to win a Cup. They should be maxing out on the cap, not taking a $4 million hit on a backup goalie, even though they pay him significantly less than his cap hit.

They need help on offence. Need a scoring winger. Unless one of Ritchie can step up to take that on or if Noesen can overcome 2 injury plagued seasons to be a #2 line scorer for them. Rather have seen them use the cap space for that. Plus, I don't see a reason to keep Stoner.

They need 2 scoring wingers.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
One of those good for both sides trades. Is it just me or do those two teams trade a lot with eachother.

Jonathan Bernier for Conditional 2017 pick.
1st and a 2nd for Frederik Andersen.
Korbinian Holzer for Eric Brewer and a 5th.
Jesse Blacker, a 3rd and a 7th for Brad Staubitz and Peter Holland.
David Steckel for Ryan Lasch and a 7th.
Dale Mitchell for Mark Fraser.
Luca Caputi for Nicolas Deschamps.
2011 6th (used to pick Manson) for 2012 6th.
John Gibson and Rickard Rakell for Tyler Biggs.
Conditional 7th for Aaron Voros.
Francois Beauchimen for Jake Gardiner, Joffrey Lupul and a conditional 4th.
2010 5th (used to pick Wagner) for Mike Brown.
Joey MacDonald for a 7th.
Jason Blake and Vesa Toskala for JS Giguere.
Justin Pogge for 2011 conditional 6th.
2010 conditional 6th for Brad May.

Yeah a lot!

Most between two teams in recent memory that I can think of.

Vancouver and Florida trade often too? But doubt it's this much.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I honestly feel like Lou and Babs wanted to have a different goalie situation going forward.

Enough of the Reimer/Scrivens/Bernier **** where there's this uncertainty.

They want to just have a goalie who is the guy.

Lou has already said they will bring in an experienced vet for a backup before the season starts and they are currently exploring that.

I think having Reimer vs. Bernier in this market (I mean how they were inevitably pitted against each other) was just a bad sort of situation and I think Lou is right to want to move those guys on and bring in a new guy that isn't damaged by that and give him the keys and let him not have someone breathing down his neck to take his job in the matter of a single game.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
That Tyler Biggs for rickard rakell and John Gibson thou

To Toronto: 2011 1st round pick (#22 - Tyler Biggs)

To Anaheim: 2011 1st round pick (#30 - Rickard Rakell), 2011 2nd round pick (#39 - John Gibson)

To be fair, it was draft pick for draft picks aka crapshoot for several crapshoots.

Anaheim hit, Toronto busted (thanks to Burke and his truculence idea)

Their trade relationship seems so good though that they seem to not mind slightly losing deals to each other (or winning for their respective teams) as they can help the other the next time around if it's good for business.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Yeah a lot!

Most between two teams in recent memory that I can think of.

Vancouver and Florida trade often too? But doubt it's this much.

Let's see...

Gudbranson and a 5th for McCann, a 2nd and a 4th.
Markstrom and Matthias for Luongo and Anthony.
A 3rd, Reinprecht and Booth for Samuelsson and Sturm.
Duco for Shirokov.
Higgins for Oberg and a 3rd.
Paetsch for Zimmerman.
Peters for Hordichuk.
Ballard and Oreskovich for Grabner, Bernier and a 1st.

Definitely not as many. The Luongo trade was like 2 weeks ago before today so it doesn't qualify.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I understand controlling information, but it's going to eventually come out. Either from the other team, someone from the nhl who can view all the registered trades. and or when we all of a sudden have an extra 7th round pick in next years draft. It's almost just, not answering out of some misguided principal. Need to lose these NHL dinosaurs imo.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I understand controlling information, but it's going to eventually come out. Either from the other team, someone from the nhl who can view all the registered trades. and or when we all of a sudden have an extra 7th round pick in next years draft. It's almost just, not answering out of some misguided principal. Need to lose these NHL dinosaurs imo.

it drives me bananas :whatever:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Conditions are out and are ridiculous;

Leafs will get a 2nd, 3rd or nothing. Likely nothing!

— If Bernier starts half of Anaheim’s playoff games next spring and the Ducks win the Stanley Cup, Toronto receives the Ducks’ 2017 second-round pick. (If Anaheim doesn’t still own that selection, it will transfer its next available second-rounder from a future year.)

— If Bernier starts half of Anaheim’s playoff games next spring and the Ducks lose in the Stanley Cup Final, Toronto receives the Ducks’ 2017 third-round pick. (If Anaheim doesn’t still own that selection, it will transfer its next available third-rounder from a future year.)

— Should Anaheim trade Bernier to a team that starts him in half of its playoff games next spring and wins the Stanley Cup, Toronto receives the Ducks’ second-round pick.

— Should Anaheim trade Bernier to a team that starts him in half of its playoff games next spring and loses in the Stanley Cup Final, Toronto receives the Ducks’ third-round pick.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/breaking-conditional-pick-leafs-bernier-trade/

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Basically looks to be just an extension of that original Andersen deal but if Bernier knocks it out of the park, The Leafs get compensated.

I don't care all that much, good to know the conditions if this is true.

OLUSAF

Sep 8, 2007
I would really like to have been there when these negotiations were happening

Looks like Leafs get nothing for Bernier

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
If Bernier wins a gold medal in the summer Olympics leafs get a 4th round pick.

Mad Brills*

However, though I realized the leafs weren't getting anything at all when he traded with no retention at all.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
They obviously just wanted Bernier gone.

When a starting goalie loses his job to a new guy coming to the team there's nearly always animosity so he had to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad