Value of: Top Dollar for Lafreniere

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Curious to see if Lafreniere’s early struggles can be blamed on the Rangers’ impotent 5v5 play, log jam at LW and coaching carousel and whether other franchises think he still has untapped value.

Wanting to see what’s the top value Laf could fetch. Or what you’d be willing to move if Laf came with a pick/another young player, etc. What’s the most he could bring back heading into D+4 right now.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I think the best option for getting value for Laf, if the Rangers want to move on, is to trade for another young player who hasn't hit their potential yet (e.g.- someone like Kirby Dach, Newhook, Turcotte etc.).

If the trade was just for picks, I think it would always end up looking bad on the management.

Trading for a vet to fill a specific role is obviously another option, but I feel like the Rangers would need a value contract coming back, which certainly makes it a tougher trade to make.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I mean Dach and Newhook are probably the comparable trades.

Dach: Picks #13 + #66
Newhook: Picks #31 + 37

I think you’re looking at a first plus another pick in straight draft value. As underwhelming as he’s been, Laf has still been more productive than the other two and may have some residual value from his pedigree. That said, his larger sample size may also work against his value in that it is more games without the expected breakout (whether completely his fault or not).

Lafreniere: 91 points in 216 games
Dach: 59 points in 152 games
Newhook: 66 points in 159 games

Best guess from me would be a pick in the 15-20 range and then a 2nd/3rd rounder as a sweetener.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I think the best option for getting value for Laf, if the Rangers want to move on, is to trade for another young player who hasn't hit their potential yet (e.g.- someone like Kirby Dach, Newhook, Turcotte etc.).

If the trade was just for picks, I think it would always end up looking bad on the management.

Trading for a vet to fill a specific role is obviously another option, but I feel like the Rangers would need a value contract coming back, which certainly makes it a tougher trade to make.
There is zero percent chance Montreal would trade Dach for Lafreniere. Dach is far better.

Turcotte is a long shot to even be an nhl regular, so New York wouldn’t do that.

Lafreniere is an awful 1oa, but not a terrible nhl player. Bad second liner but okay third liner. Value would be a late 1st or early 2nd. Problem is you can find guys like that pretty easily in free agency without giving up picks.

I mean Dach and Newhook are probably the comparable trades.

Dach: Picks #13 + #66
Newhook: Picks #31 + 37

I think you’re looking at a first plus another pick in straight draft value. As underwhelming as he’s been, Laf has still been more productive than the other two and may have some residual value from his pedigree. That said, his larger sample size may also work against his value in that it is more games without the expected breakout (whether completely his fault or not).

Lafreniere: 91 points in 216 games
Dach: 59 points in 152 games
Newhook: 66 points in 159 games

Best guess from me would be a pick in the 15-20 range and then a 2nd/3rd rounder as a sweetener.
Dach is a far better skater, a better passer, and has higher iq. Lafreniere may have a better shot, but he can’t create space to get it off. I don’t think there’s a single gm in the league who would pick Lafreniere over Dach.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Considering Ottawa is going to most likely lose tarasenko and kubalik after the season I would do a first plus a prospect, as long as the Sens pick isn't top 15 and laf has a decent season

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
There is zero percent chance Montreal would trade Dach for Lafreniere. Dach is far better.

Turcotte is a long shot to even be an nhl regular, so New York wouldn’t do that.

Lafreniere is an awful 1oa, but not a terrible nhl player. Bad second liner but okay third liner. Value would be a late 1st or early 2nd. Problem is you can find guys like that pretty easily in free agency without giving up picks.

Dach is a far better skater, a better passer, and has higher iq. Lafreniere may have a better shot, but he can’t create space to get it off. I don’t think there’s a single gm in the league who would pick Lafreniere over Dach.
Cool man. I’m not comparing Laf to Dach as a player. Of course the Habs don’t trade Dach for Laf at this point.

Newhook does really nothing that exceptional offensively, gets pushed around physically and declined in his play last year and at this point is basically Tyson Jost with better wheels and he got the “late first” plus a very high second.

You can pick a trade to suit your narrative - we are all just guessing here. I think he can grab a second half of the round first plus as an asset still.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Cool man. I’m not comparing Laf to Dach as a player. Of course the Habs don’t trade Dach for Laf at this point.

Newhook does really nothing that exceptional offensively, gets pushed around physically and declined in his play last year and at this point is basically Tyson Jost with better wheels and he got the “late first” plus a very high second.

You can pick a trade to suit your narrative - we are all just guessing here. I think he can grab a second half of the round first plus as an asset still.
Gotcha, I guess I misunderstood. And agreed about Newhook.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
LaF has disappointed as a 1OA, but an honest assessment is his success has been restrained by inferior skating, which has improved from sub par to par. Between this and chemistry found with kid line of Chytil + Kakko, there is basis to believe my projection of him as another Steve Vickers level product.
He is a marketing coup for Canada based teams.

We should expect a premium return, but not a crazy overpay.
The other side must admit that we have no reason to deal him short of an offer too good to refuse, and do so in currency acceptable to NY.

At present, I believe the Oil, who want to max the McDrai years, would pay to add him as a foundation piece.

Rangers need to add some speed and youth. NY has not listened to bern, and done stupid win now rentals favoring vets over youth, and needs to compensate for this.

EDM can do
late 1st
Broberg
Holloway
McLeod
Lajoie

for

LaF
Jones
Leschyshn
Blidh
Belzille

Rs wi every aspect of this except for surrendering LaF, which is fine b'c it is a huge marketing coup to land LaF over Habs, Leafs, etc etc
and more importantly, LaF looks like he could trigger nicely w/McD/Drai.

Other pieces are a wince for Oil taking back less value in return, but they are expendable.

Until bread is dealt, Rs then get to do:
Ottman - Chytil - Kakko
Kreider - Zib - Holloway
Wheeler - Trocheck - Panarin
Cuylie - Goodrow - Pitlick

with other moves to follow

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
LaF has disappointed as a 1OA, but an honest assessment is his success has been restrained by inferior skating, which has improved from sub par to par. Between this and chemistry found with kid line of Chytil + Kakko, there is basis to believe my projection of him as another Steve Vickers level product.

The other side must admit that we have no reason to deal him short of an offer too good to refuse, and do so in currency acceptable to NY.

At present, I believe the Oil, who want to max the McDrai years, would pay to add him as a foundation piece.

Rangers need to add some speed and youth. NY has not listened to bern, and done stupid win now rentals favoring vets over youth, and needs to compensate for this.

EDM can do
late 1st
Broberg
Holloway
McLeod
Lajoie

for

LaF
Jones
Leschyshn
Blidh
Belzille

Rs wi every aspect of this except for surrendering LaF, which is fine b'c it is a huge marketing coup to land LaF over Habs, Leafs, etc etc

Other pieces are a wince for Oil taking back less value in return, but they are expendable.

Ottman - Chytil - Kakko
Kreider - Zib - Holloway

This is what I like to see on a Sunday morning

Great post as always bern

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Dach-level return would likely be the best offer ATM.

I personally think Laf is breaking out this year. I wanted Ottawa to offer-sheet him instead of signing Tarasenko. But now I believe his price will go up significantly by July 2024, and be too costly to acquire.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

EDM can do
late 1st
Broberg
Holloway
McLeod
Lajoie

for

LaF
Jones
Leschyshn
Blidh
Belzille

Ottman - Chytil - Kakko
Kreider - Zib - Holloway

The addition of Blidh puts it over the edge

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

EDM can do
late 1st
Broberg
Holloway
McLeod
Lajoie

for

LaF
Jones
Leschyshn
Blidh
Belzille

Ottman - Chytil - Kakko
Kreider - Zib - Holloway

Terrible for edmonton

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County

EDM can do
late 1st
Broberg
Holloway
McLeod
Lajoie

for

LaF
Jones
Leschyshn
Blidh
Belzille

Ottman - Chytil - Kakko
Kreider - Zib - Holloway

You may want that type of return, but the bolded would require a team to be pushing for Laf and inquiring about him. This thread is the opposite, the Rangers looking to trade him for best value.

Why is Edmonton paying a premium when it was the Rangers soliciting them to take Laf?

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Dach-level return would likely be the best offer ATM.

I personally think Laf is breaking out this year. I wanted Ottawa to offer-sheet him instead of signing Tarasenko. But now I believe his price will go up significantly by July 2024, and be too costly to acquire.

Not if his preseason play in any indication. Oof.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You may want that type of return, but the bolded would require a team to be pushing for Laf and inquiring about him. This thread is the opposite, the Rangers looking to trade him for best value.

Why is Edmonton paying a premium when it was the Rangers soliciting them to take Laf?
It is a fair pt to note OP posture is Rs are looking to unload LaF and what is the max NY can get in that scenario.
It is fair to counter w/the construct I posted.
LaF as emerging Steve Vickers type, and factually true NY does not need to unload.
So respect courtesy to OP, but his premise is flawed and we do not have to accept less.

As I said, for EDM it is overpay, but it is currency they can live with.
.None of the guys I specified are stars. They have potential, but can afford to cough up.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad