Proposal: Top 6 C to Detroit

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
Do you honestly think Vlasic, who's sucked for a couple years now, is going to rebound at 36 or 37? To the degree that somebody would trade to pay him $7M?

It is possible that a new start in a new team rebounds him. It happens all the time that a player gets his mojo back.

If we trade Hertl it means we don't plan on being competitive, so we won't need the cap space that Vlasic takes up. We won't trade our literal best player to free up cap space.

If Hertl is not going to sign and he will leave for free in the summer then this trade makes sense.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
If Hertl is not going to sign and he will leave for free in the summer then this trade makes sense.
You can say that about any player in their final year of contract. We don't know where Hertl would prefer to sign/re-sign, so we can't bank everything on that. If the team trades Hertl, that means we're rebuilding, in which case it doesn't matter if Vlasic eats up some cap space, since we won't be spending up to the cap to ice a competitive team. If Hertl is still a shark post-trade deadline, that means we're going to try and push for a playoff spot. At that point, whether or not we make the playoffs, it becomes Hertl's decision if he wants to stay or not during the resign phase.

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
So I guess the wings arent ass anymore? Feels weird to even say that but....

What would it cost for....

young(ish) 23-28 year old C who is good on Faceoffs, good lockeroom guy
Someone like horvat/Miller type guy

Who is available on the wings:
Hronek
Bertuzzi
Fabbri
Zadina
Rasmussen
Suter
Namestikov
Draft picks (2nd rounders+)
recent prospects (Berggren, Wallinder, Johansson, Buium, Neiderbach)
DET: can take a cap dump or retain on players to increase return

Anyone would be available at this price?

I disagree with the proposed strategy. I think this proposal hurts Detroit.
“Young (ish) 23-28 year old C”. I smiled after reading this. 26-28 is too old for Detroit. Players can leave for free after several seasons (UFA).
Detroit doesn't need Horvat and Miller. It is necessary to take into account the development strategy of the team. You need to leave Zadina at the club.

I think there are three possible ways to get 1/2C:
Exchange with the team leading the fight for the Stanley Cup (1/2C ELC).
Exchange with another team (1/2C ELC). A player who has untapped potential.
Choosing a good center for the 2022 draft.

You can only strengthen your team in the 2022/23 season for money (UFA 2022). :nod:

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Paddys Pub

Jul 18, 2016
Port Coquitlam
You understood my point. Top 4 dmen and top 6 wingers aren’t meh. Sure they’re not enough for a guy like Horvat but you’re greatly exaggerating.

Why offer a bunch of stuff knowing it isn’t enough? That’s my point. Are they pooh? Maybe not. Should they be in the conversation in a realistic trade? Not for me.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I am a big wings fan. But also very realistic about what we can acquire:

Baring some kind of surprise blockbuster move, Detroit has had a clear vision up till now. Collect players age 26 or under, collect draft picks, build through youth.
The only exception so far has been moving a 2nd for Leddy this year, and I see that as a calculated decision of Add a really good LD to help teach Hronek and Seider, while retaining the ability to flip him for at least a 2nd round pick in 2o22 (i.e. we had too many picks and needed to move one to 2022, and using Leddy as a place holder allows us to do that).

We simply do not have the assets to trade anything "Good" for a Center. Our obvious best choice is simply use our 2022 1st on a C prospect. The last 3 drafts Detroit really has not had a good choice to draft a C.

I not so secretly want Detroit to stumble back into a non playoff team this year. I love seeing our rookies playing well. But if we keep winning, we will quickly find out that 5 good players does not make a good NHL team. We still need a few more NHL guys from our prospect pool to start producing at the NHL level.

Bottom line, making a trade for a 26-29 yr old C I think is a general mistake considering I still think we are 3-4 years from being a real contender (If we ever get that good).

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I thought most young teams take a couple steps forward and then take a couple steps back, then learn how to win by bringing in a couple vets who've had success and then make the push for a cup. I guess DRW are going the "make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round" route for the next decade?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I thought most young teams take a couple steps forward and then take a couple steps back, then learn how to win by bringing in a couple vets who've had success and then make the push for a cup. I guess DRW are going the "make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round" route for the next decade?

Honestly this is more about stabilization than anything. He haven't had a true number two center since 2016 and it has impacted the development of some of our wingers (at least in my opinion). I personally don't see it as an attempt to specifically make the playoffs this year and I am not sure the Wings are a number two center away from making the playoffs either.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Then instead of going after a high priced 2nd center (around the same age as Larkin) I would look to an aging vet. Getting a guy that will retire in a few years and has had playoff success would be far better IMO. May not be a true 2nd center but teams would be willing to move them over someone in their late 20s early 30s for a heck of a lot less. Plus you will get a mentor for those wingers without giving up good high picks over the next few years.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
What would wings offer for a slightly used Sean Monahan - he certainly fits the description

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I am a big wings fan. But also very realistic about what we can acquire:

Baring some kind of surprise blockbuster move, Detroit has had a clear vision up till now. Collect players age 26 or under, collect draft picks, build through youth.
The only exception so far has been moving a 2nd for Leddy this year, and I see that as a calculated decision of Add a really good LD to help teach Hronek and Seider, while retaining the ability to flip him for at least a 2nd round pick in 2o22 (i.e. we had too many picks and needed to move one to 2022, and using Leddy as a place holder allows us to do that).

We simply do not have the assets to trade anything "Good" for a Center. Our obvious best choice is simply use our 2022 1st on a C prospect. The last 3 drafts Detroit really has not had a good choice to draft a C.

I not so secretly want Detroit to stumble back into a non playoff team this year. I love seeing our rookies playing well. But if we keep winning, we will quickly find out that 5 good players does not make a good NHL team. We still need a few more NHL guys from our prospect pool to start producing at the NHL level.

Bottom line, making a trade for a 26-29 yr old C I think is a general mistake considering I still think we are 3-4 years from being a real contender (If we ever get that good).

It's still hilarious to me that we acquire Leddy to teach Seider, and ended up moving Seider 10 games in to cover for DeKeyser.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
I have a feeling the wings have been winning at an unsustainable rate and reality will set in soon. Hoping we drop out of the playoffs to 22nd OA and win the lottery and grab Wright lol we are long overdue

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Red wings needs to draft 2 centers in the first round next draft, that's all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad