Top 5 best GMs currently

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Trotz could be there too. Possibly B. Armstrong soon. I feel like I'm forgetting someone major too.

Trotz depends on what you're looking for. They'll be ultra competitive for the next three years, but everybody they've got money tied up in is already 30, if not entering mid 30s.

He hasn't proven to have done any of those things the team can't get out of the basement. Pretty rich though to chirp about talent and culture to a team that is in the playoffs every season

True, Toronto is on an epic 4 year playoff streak.

Reactions: viceroy

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Imagine thinking it's everyone else and not the common factor. Enjoy Laine. 8.7 million for nothing.
Thanks, we will! I'm sure you'll go into hiding if he does well.

Trotz depends on what you're looking for. They'll be ultra competitive for the next three years, but everybody they've got money tied up in is already 30, if not entering mid 30s.

Trotz is an interesting one. I like Nashville and like how he's handled the franchise thus far. :dunno:

I don't grade GMs entirely on winning the cup, since often one GM builds the team, then another takes over and they suddenly win without any real major changes.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Leafs have made the playoffs since 2016. I know the lame chirp of 2020 bubble. They made the playoffs that year by the official NHL declaration. Those games also counted as playoff stats as well, further cementing the fact.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Leafs have made the playoffs since 2016. I know the lame chirp of 2020 bubble. They made the playoffs that year by the official NHL declaration. Those games also counted as playoff stats as well, further cementing the fact.
And yet have won less playoff series than Montreal (who you're trying to chirp) over that time. Montreal who, by your definition of the 2020 bubble, has technically only made the playoffs once in the last 7 years.

Point being, I'm not even defending Montreal. I'm just laughing at a Toronto fan touting any "winning culture" considering their rep of constant underachievement.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
And yet have won less playoff series than Montreal (who you're trying to chirp) over that time. Montreal who, by your definition of the 2020 bubble, has technically only made the playoffs once in the last 7 years.

Point being, I'm not even defending Montreal. I'm just laughing at a Toronto fan touting any "winning culture" considering their rep of constant underachievement.

Does anyone take those weird covid season / bubble years that seriously? We saw some funky things, but teams were only playing against the same 5 other teams.

During real hockey, 82 games and such, the Habs have been mostly a failure at consistently making the playoffs. They would have a single playoff appearance where they didn't win a round in that same 2016-present time frame.

Leafs have very easily been the more successful club. They are just an easy target right now. After they go deep and win the cup some of these poor narratives with stop

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Does anyone take those weird covid season / bubble years that seriously? We saw some funky things, but teams were only playing against the same 5 other teams.

During real hockey, 82 games and such, the Habs have been mostly a failure at consistently making the playoffs. They would have a single playoff appearance where they didn't win a round in that same 2016-present time frame.

Leafs have very easily been the more successful club. They are just an easy target right now. After they go deep and win the cup some of these poor narratives with stop
If they win the Cup, all the narratives will stop lol, but you just massively moved the goalposts...and the guy you posted is correct. Montreal has won more rounds.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

Oh I definitely don't take Montreal's SCF appearance seriously.

Again, I'm just laughing at the idea that Toronto has some sort of aura of a "Winning culture" because they make the playoffs and underachieve year after year after year.

Reactions: TS Quint

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
T

I have a hard time putting guys like Allvin or McFarland in these lists because I think they have Presidents who are HEAVILY involved in hockey ops and their influence goes a really long way

How have you evaluated that Rutherford's involvement is heavier than other President of Hockey Ops? There isn't really any way to substantiate the claim.

When Rutherford hired Alvin there was a lot of this rhetoric going on that Rutherford was still pulling the strings in hockey ops but there's really nothing about Patrik Alvin's competency that would suggest he's a puppet.

The real puppetry was Francesco Aquilini and his meddling with Jim Benning. The meddling relationship between Aquilini and hockey ops was dismantled the moment Rutherford was hired. Both Rutherford and Alvin have been a revelation - and Alvin deserves praise on his own merits, and not an ignorant take that he's not a decision maker.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
Wasn’t there rumors, or confirmed comments, that Michkov wouldn’t have gone to Montreal, or several other locations? Therefore eventually forcing a trade due to his contract status? I could be way off, and maybe it only pertained to Arizona, but I thought Philly and a few other teams were on his “willing to go to” list.
No. Michkov was fine coming to Montreal. It was Arizona he wasn't fine with (do you blame him?).

Reactions: Laus723

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Not one person has chevy on their list. That’s crazy to me. He has star prospects, players and even a coach wanting out left right and center and here’s Chevy turning lemons into lemonade.

Chevy is playing beagm on all star mode, while brisebois and zito are playing on easy mode
As a frequent rider on the “Fire Chevy” bandwagon, I will admit that he’s done extremely well in some low leverage situations and has pulled off some impressive hauls as a both a buyer (eg. acquiring Stastny in 2018) and a seller (eg. Copp TDL deal in 2022).

Your comment about playing on hard mode can’t be emphasized enough. One of the least desirable markets in the NHL, can’t attract top UFAs and on just about every NMC/NTC.

He can’t be in any credible top 5, or even top 10 IMO. He has three playoff series wins in 13 years at the helm. In a vacuum his trades/signings have mostly been good, drafts have been okay (2016-2021 is looking pretty barren), but end results are about as mid as it gets.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
He also waited out Winnipeg's best cup window without making significant moves outside of the failed addition of Kevin Hayes, I think he's always been too tentative
Stastny rental in 2018. DeMelo was a sneaky good acquisition in 2020 still paying dividends. Toffoli and Monahan rentals this year. In a market no one wants to play in. To me that’s a huge misconception about Chevy, ie that he’s not active enough in loading up.

The results haven’t been there, but to me it’s not a question of being tentative.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Not sure if Craig Conroy exactly fits a best GM description but he's doing a fine job of dismantling the mediocre Flames and trading older assets for younger players, prospects, and picks. At best, he should garner some praise for his ability to talk ownership into letting him do it because if there ever was an ownership group more adverse to going ahead with a serious rebuild I'd be interested in knowing who they are.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Bill Armstrong needs more respect in this thread. The work he's done rebuilding Arizona/Utah has been masterful.

Took over a franchise devastated by John Chayka, one of the worst GMs in history, and 3 years later the team may be contending for a playoff spot and has a fantastic future.

Knew this was going to happen, was hoping he would stick it out with St Louis and take over from D Armstrong

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Brisebois over Allvin for sure. Allvin might get there but I don’t think there is enough track record to justify him over Brisebois’ cups in Tampa
Allvin has basically just found ex Pens staff and players to sign which feels more like JR pulling strings. I don't put him in that group at all yet.

Zito, Nill, Armstrong (Blues), the last two are a toss up between 3-5 others I think. Hughes would be one but that pick of a pos that shouldn't have a career stops me from ever picking him as a top 5.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Grier? Really?
He's done a fantastic job of turning a bleak future into one of the best looking up and coming teams in a very short time. His "team building" has been fantastic so far. Of course now (soon) we need to see results. I find too many here focus entirely on "this GM won a Cup recently" even if they didn't build the team. Maybe I'm weighting the "built the team" aspect a little heavily, but as I said, I'm biased. And again, we'll need to see results, but I think he's done an incredible job of fixing the cap, finding talent at all positions, and rebuilding the culture thus far.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Allvin has basically just found ex Pens staff and players to sign which feels more like JR pulling strings. I don't put him in that group at all yet.

Zito, Nill, Armstrong (Blues), the last two are a toss up between 3-5 others I think. Hughes would be one but that pick of a pos that shouldn't have a career stops me from ever picking him as a top 5.

I like your list, I think Sweeney definitely has to be thrown in there too with that group of 3.

It's so hard to understand everything from an outside perspective as we never really hear the inside of the conversations that are shown as blemishes on some GMs unless they are just outwardly idiotic.

There's a few GMs that aren't as tenured that have also been doing a good job. But I think you need to wait 5-10 years until you see how their asset accumulation really develops. It's easy to look at Hughes' trades in Mtl and say he's been great, but it really hasn't amounted to anything yet. Same with B Armstrong in Utah.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Don Sweeney should be in the top 5. 700 games into his tenure, his team has the best record.

View attachment 903093

Don Sweeney has been pretty mediocre at draft table since taking over before 2015 draft

Really hasn't hit much of anything at draft in years also some of his trades have been pretty poor

Also, that 2015 1st round (his first draft) was a really bad start for his career as GM

His first major trade (Hamilton trade) netted 1st + 2 2nd's and he whiffed badly on picks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad