Top 5 best GMs currently

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
There's certainly more to building a team than you seem to realize. It's about building the right culture and setting up the cap long term, as well as acquiring talent. You wouldn't know that that looks like.

He hasn't proven to have done any of those things the team can't get out of the basement. Pretty rich though to chirp about talent and culture to a team that is in the playoffs every season

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He hasn't proven to have done any of those things the team can't get out of the basement. Pretty rich though to chirp about talent and culture to a team that is in the playoffs every season
As I literally just said, let's see how things look this season, because this is the season to prove it for Hughes (after the moves this summer). I expect a similar step for the Sharks by next year.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You are claiming he has built some amazing culture and collecting all these amazing players. You also said you were biased.

I am saying he hasn't proven to do any of those things. Laughable to put him as a top 5 GM
You know what you can do? Share your opinion instead of arguing with mine. I'm sure it will be... Something. Like I said, let's see how this season goes in particular as a reflection on what Hughes has done.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The transformative change in culture, standards and competency from Jim Benning to Patrik Alvin was very eye opening for Canuck fans. There's a few lemons with us but you'll probably see most Canuck fans want to mention Patrik Alvin here. Not entirely different with Habs fans and their satisfaction with Kent Hughes.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Not one person has chevy on their list. That’s crazy to me. He has star prospects, players and even a coach wanting out left right and center and here’s Chevy turning lemons into lemonade.

Chevy is playing beagm on all star mode, while brisebois and zito are playing on easy mode
Shit if he's playing BeAGM at all in the NHL he should be fired.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Nope, not in my opinion.

Brisebois had as much fingerprints on those cup winning teams as Yzerman did.
He has been an AGM with Tampa since 2010.
He hired Jon Cooper for Syracuse and before being promoted to GM in 2018 he had assisted in all aspects of player personnel decisions, analytics, player development, contract preparation and negotiation, as well as salary arbitration for the Lightning and Syracuse

They do not win without the fairly bold moves he made after becoming GM either.
Fair Point, he did help but ultimately it was Yzerman who oversaw all major moves right until they won the Cup. One of Brisebois' first major moves was trading away JT Miller for picks, and acquiring 4th liners and 6th dmen for 1st round picks (Jeannot, Savard, Maroon), I wouldn't say those moves were that of a top 5 GM. But he did make the Hagel move.

Anyway my point is that the nucleus of the Cup teams had Yzerman written all over them, I don't think Brisebois deserves half the credit for that. Let's see what he does to start rebuilding the Bolts now that they are aging out.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
The transformative change in culture, standards and competency from Jim Benning to Patrik Alvin was very eye opening for Canuck fans. There's a few lemons with us but you'll probably see most Canuck fans want to mention Patrik Alvin here. Not entirely different with Habs fans and their satisfaction with Kent Hughes.
Neither has done enough to get top 5. Alvin can get there. Just not yet.

Reactions: TS Quint

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
What have they proven they can do but put together a losing team? Anyone can be bad and draft players
Looks like a list of GMs you wouldn’t want.

Hughes and Grier are both bottom 10 until they can prove they can turn a team around.

Allvin is a middling GM right now, the next couple years are huge for him.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
You know what you can do? Share your opinion instead of arguing with mine. I'm sure it will be... Something. Like I said, let's see how this season goes in particular as a reflection on what Hughes has done.

Sure. No order:

Nill, Fitsgerald, McCrimmon, Trotz, Sakic (I think it is really him still running the team)

• Wow
Reactions: RCGP2 and Laus723

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Right now Fitz is probably in the middle of the ranking. He's a lot like Hughes and Grier but he did put together a team that made the playoffs and after a rough last season he addressed everything and plugged all the holes in the ship. This season will show if the ship sails or sinks.

In his four years of being a GM the only mistakes I can think of the Alexander Holtz pick and Chase Stillman pick as mistakes. Overall not bad.

Current top five GMs are

Sweeney (Boston)
Nill (Dallas)
Zito (Florida)
McCrimmon (Vegas)
Cheveldayoff (Winnipeg)

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Not one person has chevy on their list. That’s crazy to me. He has star prospects, players and even a coach wanting out left right and center and here’s Chevy turning lemons into lemonade.

Chevy is playing beagm on all star mode, while brisebois and zito are playing on easy mode
He also waited out Winnipeg's best cup window without making significant moves outside of the failed addition of Kevin Hayes, I think he's always been too tentative

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
T
I have a hard time putting guys like Allvin or McFarland in these lists because I think they have Presidents who are HEAVILY involved in hockey ops and their influence goes a really long way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad