Top 20 Quebecers in the NHL

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It’s a far cry from the past, there’s no doubting that.

I think a lot rests on Lafreniere. As should be expected. He turned into a great top six complimentary player last season, a standout at even strength. Does he have enough creativity in his locker to take that next step as a PP mainstay and star scorer? If he does, that’s huge.

Also the bright side - I think Lapierre has a ton of momentum and will shoot up this list quickly. Luneau and Bourque should establish themselves as NHLers this year with top six/top four upside.

And importantly - I think the 2025 draft is shaping up to be a good one for the province, the best in a long time. I think Desnoyers and Guite both could threaten to be lottery picks and Carbonneau is positioning himself not only as another potential first rounder but potentially another top 20 pick. If Quebec produces three top 15-20 picks in what is shaping up to be a good draft crop, that’s a big step in the right direction.

A little victory, for sure, compared to past glories. But a step. Now we need that classic butterfly star in net. A few years ago, Gabriel D’Aigle looked like the phenom that was promised…but he appears to be falling flat, hard, as his draft year arrives. That 6-8 kid Denault is probably worth monitoring though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stan Galiev

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Soccer has surpassed hockey in the Province :

''Football (Soccer) has always been popular in Québec and has emerged as the youth sport of choice for parents across the province. Both boys (97,000) and girls (42,000) football registrations continue to surpass that of hockey. According to Hockey Canada's annual report, 69,000 boys and 6,840 girls played youth hockey in the 2022-23 season.''

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Looking at that list and it’s kind of sad how the Quebec born players have fallen off. These guys used to be the best and a clubs key to winning Cups. Now Lafreniere is their second best? A once great hockey heritage is looking dead. Very sad.

Reactions: ultra63

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I'm confident in the next group of Quebec players, even though it lacks a superstar :

Hendrix Lapierre
Mavrik Bourque
Joshua Roy
Tristan Luneau
Ethan Gauthier
Zachary Bolduc
Jordan Dumais
Nathan Gaucher
Maveric Lamoureux
Sasha Boisvert
Justin Poirier
Caleb Desnoyers
Émile Guité
Alex Huang
Justin Carbonneau
Zachary Morin
Maddox Dagenais
I wish I had the same confidence. Not a strong list of prospects unfortunately.

RussianShark

Cheech
Mar 15, 2009
Stanley's
I think California might have a better top 10 at this point:

Auston Matthews
Jason Robertson
Thatcher Demko
Trevor Moore
Dustin Wolf
Cam York
Nick Robertson
Jason Zucker
Matt Nieto
Devin Cooley

Maybe I should have just said top 5. But even that would have been a ludicrous thought a decade ago.

Reactions: Figgy44 and ultra63

JonathnTaylorTavares

Feb 4, 2019
Paper in Montreal just made its annual list, its pretty much the worst its ever been

20- Hendrix Lapierre
19-Alex Killhorn
18-Anthony Beauvillier
17-Mathieu Joseph
16-Nicolas Roy
15-Yanni Gourde
14-Marc Andre Fleury
13-Samuel Girard
12-David Perron
11-Pierre Luc Dubois
10-Anthony Duclair
9-Samuel Montembault
8-Jonathan Drouin
7-Thomas Chabot
6-Jonathan Huberdeau
5-Kristopher Letang
4-Mike Matheson
3-Philip Danault
2-Alexis Lafreniere
1-Jonathan Marchessault
I take 12-20 and anyone else ever born in Quebec over PLD

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Team Nova Scotia/PEI kills them despite the 9 to 1 population advantage.

Forwards

Sidney Crosby Nathan MacKinnon
Brad Marchand
Alex Killorn
Morgan Barron
Liam O’Brien
Matthew Highmore
Drake Batherson
Ryan MacInnis
Logan Shaw
Zack MacEwen

Defense
Ryan Graves
Justin Barron
Noah Dobson (
Brandon Carlo
Luke Green
Mac Hollowell

Goalie
Zach Fucale

Reactions: ultra63

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Forwards

Brad Marchand
Alex Killorn
Morgan Barron
Liam O’Brien
Matthew Highmore
Drake Batherson
Ryan MacInnis
Logan Shaw
Zack MacEwen

Defense
Ryan Graves
Justin Barron
Noah Dobson (
Brandon Carlo
Luke Green
Mac Hollowell

Goalie
Zach Fucale

Three generation-defining players all coming out of the greater Halifax area in 8 years is insane.

Magic 8 Ball

Sep 27, 2021
The Netherworld

Forwards

Brad Marchand
Alex Killorn
Morgan Barron
Liam O’Brien
Matthew Highmore
Drake Batherson
Ryan MacInnis
Logan Shaw
Zack MacEwen

Defense
Ryan Graves
Justin Barron
Noah Dobson (
Brandon Carlo
Luke Green
Mac Hollowell

Goalie
Zach Fucale
Pretty sure Fucale is Quebecois, unless we're including players who played in NS/PEI

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
A list of factors that partly explain the OP:

1) The basic skill level in the NHL has went up immensely in the past twenty years and Hockey Quebec hasn't followed suit. The organization is archaic and in a sad state of affair. Everybody else in the world seem to have upped their focus on forging better young players, though. There are more and more gifted prospects from the US, for example.

2) There used to be a time when goaltenders made in Quebec (tm) were ahead of the others, but I believe that everyone else have learned from goalies like Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur and that they've moved beyond. Like apprentices that learned from their masters until they irremediably surpassed them. ;)

3) As others have pointed out, parents do not send their kids into hockey as much anymore here. Other sports are favored, because hockey comes with monetary constraints and higher risk of grave injuries.

4) It is also possible that we are in a lull as far as extremely gifted Quebecois hockey players are concerned. There's bound to be some again eventually, even with a smaller number of kids from Quebec playing hockey.

When a team is brought to Quebec City again, and the rivalry between Quebec and Montreal is revived anew, more local kids will want to play the sport again.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad