Top 10 Dman in order out of BUF, OTT, and DET altogether?

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I am genuinely curious why one would want to put any top ten list together and limit the parameters to bottom ten teams?

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
1. Dahlin
2. Sanderson
3. Seider
4. Chabot
5. Power
6. Zub
7. Byram
8. Samuelsson
9. Chiarot
10. Edvinsson
1. Dahlin
2. Seider
3. Sanderson
4. Chabot
5. P0wer
6. Zub
7. Byram
8. Samuelsson
9. Ch1arot
10. Edvinsson

Buffal0>Ottawa=Detr0it
I kinda agree with this one with just 1 modification....I switched 2 and 3....

1. Dahlin
2. Sanderson
3. Seider
4. Chabot
5. Power
6. Zub
7. Byram
8. Samuelsson
9. Chiarot
10. Edvinsson

If Buffalo can ever get a full season out of Byrum and give him top minutes, then he could be really productive !!

Lot mediocre. :D
I wonder based on where Edvinsson was picked if he's Detroit's version of Philip Broberg? :dunno:

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
Broberg? The odds are better that Edvinsson tops this list in a few years than he becomes Broberg.
Thing is though that Broberg FINALLY showed how good he is when he basically replaced Vinny Desharnais in the playoffs and played very well. I can't wait to see what he'll bring to the table next year in a full season ! And I think Simon is in the same boat, once he plays a full season, It'll be interesting to see what he can do as he gets better. That's why I compared the two, similar draft spots taken and similar sizes and and similar lack of offensive abilities so far at least and not because I dislike both because I don't !

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
When do you see asp passing him?
ASP will be coming over to NA next season ('25-'26, or tail end of '24-'25 if Skelleftea doesn't go deep again and repeat SHL titles...). He'll have a nice and cushy spot behind Seider, likely with Edvinsson as his partner (if the Wings keep Edvinsson and Seider apart). So by the end of his ELC.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think he is head and shoulders above Chabot, with or without factoring cap hit.

No way. Hronek was struggling when he hit the 22-23+ minute a night mark, before Seider joined the team. Chabot can still handle a good amount of ice time without needing a top tier partner with him. Hronek also seems to hit a wall in mid December-ish area most seasons.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
2 maybe 3 more years I think Detroit is going to be a wagon on defense. Seider played the hardest minutes of any dman in the league and if Edvinsson and ASP live upto expectations, their still have other decent prospects in the pipeline or could be through other acquisitions.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Let me guess.. in a few years the top 3 on this list will be.

1. Edvinson
2. Asp
3. Seider
Why not engage directly with an Edvinsson/Broberg comparison instead of jumping to hyperbole?

Sure, I'll try to respond in a manner that you are capable of comprehending.

Applying your analytical technique, sure sounds like he's regressing. In your own words, what he did prior to this season is irrelevant, no?
Not sure why you feel a need to be condescending.

Even if you can argue that Seider had struggles, it was by no means a disaster of a season or clear-cut regression. Career high in goals, the #1D on an improved team, the analytical community literally writing articles about his useage breaks their models, etc.

With that said, I'm not bothered by people ranking Dahlin and Sanderson ahead of Seider. Because I'm reasonable enough to see that Seider didn't objectively have the kind of performance that should rank him way ahead of those.
The question is why is Samuelsson's performance viewed to be on such a high level that it's untouchable for an Edvinsson, Chiarot or even Määttä? Why is Nick Jensen viewed as a higher-tier d-man than those I mentioned? Why is Seider's supposed "regression" the only one that matters?

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Jensen is better than Chiarot… there is a clear top 9, imo, and while Detroit only has Seider in that top 9, they have by far the most guys who can and should rocket up that list (Edvinsson, ASP, Buium, Wallinder, Gibson to a lesser degree, etc)

Seider and Chabot are both guys who have regressed a bit but could benefit massively from some stability.

Personally I like Buffalos group in the short and long term but Detroit and Ottawa should close the gap a bit over time (and both have the potential to build very solid backend groups)
Buffalo has by far the best group although Sanderson/Seider are 2/3 in no particular order but Dahlin is the top dog here.

Chabot/Power/Bryam are all on the next tier with pros and cons to all of their game but Power is probably the guy to take since he can at least stay in the lineup.

Detroit has a couple of really good young guys who could crack top 5 if we take this poll in 3-4 years but they have to get there and it might take a while.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
My brain almost broke reading that. Chiarot played just below 20 mins a game without PP time, on a better team than Buffalo. Sure he'd play less on a better team, but Samuelsson certainly would too.

Samuelsson, even reading Sabres fans opinions, had a really bad season. Even if you rate his defense highly, is it so good that it outweighs the fact he provides next to zero offense and can't stay healthy?
Samuelsson could never really get going - wear and tear from injuries are his main issue. Wouldn’t say he was a train wreck this year or anything. Was a letdown for sure but it’s clear why.

—————————————————-

Also I think Power is going to take a big step this year. I’ve stayed pretty firm that he’s going to be on the Victor Hedman development curve. Takes a few seasons to really tune his all around game, find his size at the NHL level and get a bit of bite to really spread his wings..

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
1. Dahlin

2. Sanderson
3. Power
4. Seider
5. Chabot

6. Zub
7. Samuelsson
8. Jensen

9. Byram
10. Edvinsson

Imgoingtowork

Apr 15, 2024
Europe
Samuelsson could never really get going - wear and tear from injuries are his main issue. Wouldn’t say he was a train wreck this year or anything. Was a letdown for sure but it’s clear why.

Never heard this name before.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Samuelsson is definitely better than just some depth guy if healthy. He's a very important defenseman for Buffalo and absolutely a rock solid top four mainstay - he’s very much the equivalent of Zub for the Sabres. You can rank guys higher based on talent but without a right healthy Samuelsson or Zub - both those bluelines lose an incredible amount of heady, reliable defensive work…something that can be in short supply without them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad