Top 10 Dman in order out of BUF, OTT, and DET altogether?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Jensen is better than Chiarot… there is a clear top 9, imo, and while Detroit only has Seider in that top 9, they have by far the most guys who can and should rocket up that list (Edvinsson, ASP, Buium, Wallinder, Gibson to a lesser degree, etc)

Seider and Chabot are both guys who have regressed a bit but could benefit massively from some stability.

Personally I like Buffalos group in the short and long term but Detroit and Ottawa should close the gap a bit over time (and both have the potential to build very solid backend groups)

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
man if chariot makes the list then all three of these teams suck

1. Dahlin
2. Sanderson
3. Seider
4. Power
5. Chabot
6. Zub
7. Byram
8. Samuelsson
9. Edvinsson
10/11. Jensen/Clifton

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Jensen is better than Chiarot… there is a clear top 9, imo, and while Detroit only has Seider in that top 9, they have by far the most guys who can and should rocket up that list (Edvinsson, ASP, Buium, Wallinder, Gibson to a lesser degree, etc)

Seider and Chabot are both guys who have regressed a bit but could benefit massively from some stability.

Personally I like Buffalos group in the short and long term but Detroit and Ottawa should close the gap a bit over time (and both have the potential to build very solid backend groups)
Couple points. 1. Gibson is with Nashville and 2. Seider hasn't regressed, his deployment is ridiculous. No defenseman would thrive in such a role.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Couple points. 1. Gibson is with Nashville and 2. Seider hasn't regressed, his deployment is ridiculous. No defenseman would thrive in such a role.
Thanks for the correction on Gibson. Forgot about that.

“Regressed” is a harsh word for both players - they were both crushed under unreasonable demands. I guess it is more accurate to say that his results have regressed, because I agree that the player is not the problem. Still, it can take time for a player to shed the bad habits of impossible deployment

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
1 - Dahlin
2 - Seider
3 - Sanderson
4 - Chabot
5 - Power
6 - Byram
7 - Zub
8 - Samuelsson
9 - Jensen
10 - Chiarot

Detroit is kind of a weird inclusion. Seider is obviously going to be in everyone’s top 3, but otherwise their entire defense is made up of overpaid bottom pairing dmen, and unproven rookies. They’ve only got one guy who really has a case for the top 9 on the list

Reactions: K1900L

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
1 - Dahlin
2 - Seider
3 - Sanderson
4 - Chabot
5 - Power
6 - Byram
7 - Zub
8 - Samuelsson
9 - Jensen
10 - Chiarot

Detroit is kind of a weird inclusion. Seider is obviously going to be in everyone’s top 3, but otherwise their entire defense is made up of overpaid bottom pairing dmen, and unproven rookies. They’ve only got one guy who really has a case for the top 9 on the list
While I don't think any of them should crack the top 7, I'm not sure what people are seeing in Samuelsson or Jensen to put them in a tier above Edvinsson and Chiarot.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
While I don't think any of them should crack the top 7, I'm not sure what people are seeing in Samuelsson or Jensen to put them in a tier above Edvinsson and Chiarot.

Samuelsson looks like a poor man's Slavvin, which isn't a slight to him. Plays over 20 mins a game without pp time, which is usually only really good defensive D who play that much. He is much better than Chiarot. Chiarot on a good team would be lucky to get 3rd pair and 15-17 minutes a night. I agree with Jensen as he has never been anything special. Also, Samuelsson can still improve at only 24, while Chiarot is a finished product and not a good one at that. Ditto on Jensen.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Because Samuelsson is proven good defensive defenseman and Edvinsson is not, yet. I probably rather have Samuelsson over Chiarot.

Jensen is Sens Määttä so not sure why he's up there.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Samuelsson looks like a poor man's Slavvin, which isn't a slight to him. Plays over 20 mins a game without pp time, which is usually only really good defensive D who play that much. He is much better than Chiarot. Chiarot on a good team would be lucky to get 3rd pair and 15-17 minutes a night.
My brain almost broke reading that. Chiarot played just below 20 mins a game without PP time, on a better team than Buffalo. Sure he'd play less on a better team, but Samuelsson certainly would too.

Samuelsson, even reading Sabres fans opinions, had a really bad season. Even if you rate his defense highly, is it so good that it outweighs the fact he provides next to zero offense and can't stay healthy?

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
1. Dahlin
2. Seider
3. Sanderson
4. Chabot
5. P0wer
6. Zub
7. Byram
8. Samuelsson
9. Ch1arot
10. Edvinsson

Buffal0>Ottawa=Detr0it
On the point of only Edvinsson and Chiarot, Edvinsson played like a top 4D every minute he spent in Detroit. Chiarot is arguably the worst player in the NHL.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think the lists are pretty appropriate right now. I'll stake my claim that Edvinsson is top 4 on all these lists in 2 years though.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
My brain almost broke reading that. Chiarot played just below 20 mins a game without PP time, on a better team than Buffalo. Sure he'd play less on a better team, but Samuelsson certainly would too.

Samuelsson, even reading Sabres fans opinions, had a really bad season. Even if you rate his defense highly, is it so good that it outweighs the fact he provides next to zero offense and can't stay healthy?

Chiarot played 20 on a not good Wings team. I said on a good team he wouldn't play 20. Chiarot provides zero offence as well, so not sure what you are on about. Samuelsson is young and can improve, while Chiarot is already over-exposed and on the downturn.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I think the lists are pretty appropriate right now. I'll stake my claim that Edvinsson is top 4 on all these lists in 2 years though.
I mean there's basically one spot up for grabs because he's not surpassing the top 3 anytime soon.

I'd still place my bets on Power to be #4.

Side note but I don't think a lot of people realize Byrams play is nowhere near the reputation these forums have given him. He's a borderline top 4 D to me.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I mean there's basically one spot up for grabs because he's not surpassing the top 3 anytime soon.

Side note but I don't think a lot of people realize Byrams play is nowhere near the reputation these forums have given him. He's a borderline top 4 D to me.

I actually think Byram is one of those guys with the tools to put it all together if he can stay healthy.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Dahlin
Seider
Sanderson
Power
Chiarot
Chabot
Petry
Zub
Jokiharju
Hamonic
Wat

Byram reminds me of Chychrun so much. Athletically gifted and great offensively, can't stay healthy, terrible defensively, not very smart either. With Dahlin and Power already on the Sabres, I don't think Byram is that good of a fit. Sure he had 9 points in 18 games with them, but like that's not very impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $30,594.00