Seravalli: Tony D to Toronto?

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
The guy has been a problem on all 3 NHL teams he's been on and was a problem in juniors. Toronto isn't fixing that. Maybe a team with massive amounts of veterans can get him to keep his mouth shut but in Toronto with the media circus around the Leafs and the weak leadership their core has shown so far this would end horribly.
Fixing what? We don't even know what the real problem is. He used a slur in juniors. Who hasn't used a slur as a teenager? Kids make mistakes...His political views don't need fixing. They are his views and he is entitled to them. 50% of North America agrees with him on his stances.
Georgiev cost the team that game. DeAngelo was hot, and made a regrettable comment. It happens. Everybody is so sensitive in 2021. People need to learn to forgive and move on... life is too short. Whoever gets Tony D is immensely improving their hockey team. He was fourth in all defencemen in scoring in 2020, which shows his commitment to the game. You can't do that in the NHL without a commitment to the game.
Why does he have to keep his mouth shut? If liberals can do it, so can conservatives. Basketball players voice their opinions all the time, but because it aligns with liberal views it's okay? He can talk about whatever he wants, as long as he comes to the rink focused on hockey.. and he does that.

Reactions: Sinistril

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Fixing what? We don't even know what the real problem is. He used a slur in juniors. Who hasn't used a slur as a teenager? Kids make mistakes...His political views don't need fixing. They are his views and he is entitled to them. 50% of North America agrees with him on his stances.
Georgiev cost the team that game. DeAngelo was hot, and made a regrettable comment. It happens. Everybody is so sensitive in 2021. People need to learn to forgive and move on... life is too short. Whoever gets Tony D is immensely improving their hockey team. He was fourth in all defencemen in scoring in 2020, which shows his commitment to the game. You can't do that in the NHL without a commitment to the game.
Why does he have to keep his mouth shut? If liberals can do it, so can conservatives. Basketball players voice their opinions all the time, but because it aligns with liberal views it's okay? He can talk about whatever he wants, as long as he comes to the rink focused on hockey.. and he does that.

He needs to keep his mouth shut because he's an abrasive asshole his teams don't want to keep.

Reactions: Necrobutcher

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

I'm not a liberal or anything but this goes beyond politics. He's been a problem for every lockerroom he's been in...do you really believe that's from his political views? The guy's got an entitled and crappy attitude which is his biggest problem.

tolwyn

Feb 4, 2015

Of course he can say whatever he wants, but the guy was liking anti-semitic tweets and retweeting qanon garbage. Clearly he wasn't wanted in NYC. Nobody wants a lockerroom cancer on their team.

Reactions: Cawlidge Hawkey

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Dubas is not signing this guy, I can promise you that.

DeAngelo is like one of those light traps. Drawing all the attention from the rest of the team.

I would do it for that reason alone.

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
It's funny that you twist it the way that people should learn how to forgive and not that DeAngelo should learn how not to be a douchebag POS.

This isn't really about politics. Like you said almost 50% of North Americans pretty much agree with views but still he's the only guy in the league going through this kinda troubles. The problem of Tony DeAngelo is Tony DeAngelo.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
It's funny that you twist it the way that people should learn how to forgive and not that DeAngelo should learn how not to be a douchebag POS.

This isn't really about politics. Like you said almost 50% of North Americans pretty much agree with views but still he's the only guy in the league going through this kinda troubles. The problem of Tony DeAngelo is Tony DeAngelo.

"50%" is generous, even. Not that it matters.. any % of people can be axe murderers and it still be bad

doesn't matter tho because I loved seeing this idiot on the ice when my team was up against him. guaranteed a few good opportunities to score against him when he overstays his shift and goofs up within his own blueline

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Honestly, this guy's numbers are too good to not get a second chance from someone. If a team can keep him under control, they are going to get a steal of a contract without having to give up any assets.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Blah blah rumors and all that but I know someone who had a prolonged chat with Dubas a year or two ago and that person told me that one thing Dubas really valued was veteran leadership, a steady locker room, work ethic etc. which you see in his trades and signings (Muzzin, Simmonds, Thornton, Bogo etc)

Really don't see noted headcase Tony D being on his radar

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I feel like he needs to go to an older team with a strong room.

I feel like Boston could be interesting, tons of veterans who I'm assuming have a good hold on the room and I feel like they could use a legit pp qb.

He's not going to Boston and they have a WAY better RHD to play the PP. They are looking for a LHD who can run a PP.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I don't see it happening. This guy has red flags all over him

I would personally lose respect for Kyle, not that I have much left

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
He's not going to Boston and they have a WAY better RHD to play the PP. They are looking for a LHD who can run a PP.

I think overall McAvoy is a top 10-15 Dman in the NHL, but when it comes to running a powerplay Deangelo would by far be the best on the Bruins. Also according to Daily Faceoff your number 1 pp unit has Grzelyck on it. Deangelo is definitely better at running a PP than Grzelyck.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
Leaf Fan here I'd sign Tony D. He has a clouded past, however, he is being paid to play hockey. There has been plenty of bad character people who were effective hockey players.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Cancel culture is so lame. People make mistakes, let the kid play.

People who say cancel culture.

DeAngelo is an unrepentant piece of shit. He has a history of making racist and homophobic comments to HIS TEAMMATES. He has a history of making racist comments on twitter. He got in a fight with his goalie. There should be consequences to being a horrible person, especially if you have shown zero remorse and just say "ive been cancelled by the woke mob." That's not what happened. His entitled bullshit outweighed his value in a sport that does everything it can to look the other way at stuff like this until the world makes it reckon with it.
My hope is that Tony DeAngelo one day realizes that his entitled white guy bullshit is toxic and he changes for the better but up until he went silent last year, everything we know about him is defiance. You see the interview with his father from back in the day and you realize the rot is deep.

His talent should not enable his awful behavior.

All that said, this guys definitely signing in Montreal.

Wouldn't be surprised if Virtanen follows him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad