Tomas Jurco (Re-signed to two year deal, post #301)

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
I have no problems with Jurco's comments. He seems motivated and energized by a new opportunity.

Also: Can we get a "Blashill the Friendly Coach" photo along the lines of Casper the Friendly Ghost?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I feel like some people are overlooking the fact that English is not Jurco's first language. What exactly does " I didn't get enough room to play my brand of offensive hockey" mean? Is he saying that he couldn't create a lot of space for himself in the NHL? He goes on to say that it was the worst season of his career and that he wants to show that he is a creative player who can generate offense. I don't see what is wrong with this at all.

He also never says that he will be gifted anything under Blashill. This is what he says: "In Jeff's team, I was a top 6 player and a game changer as he could rely on me. So, I assume the new coach should trust me. However, This doesn't mean that I'm gonna play a lot automatically. I have to deserve and work on my position within the team under his lead"

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I feel like some people are overlooking the fact that English is not Jurco's first language. What exactly does " I didn't get enough room to play my brand of offensive hockey" mean? Is he saying that he couldn't create a lot of space for himself in the NHL? He goes on to say that it was the worst season of his career and that he wants to show that he is a creative player who can generate offense. I don't see what is wrong with this at all.

He also never says that he will be gifted anything under Blashill. This is what he says: "In Jeff's team, I was a top 6 player and a game changer as he could rely on me. So, I assume the new coach should trust me. However, This doesn't mean that I'm gonna play a lot automatically. I have to deserve and work on my position within the team under his lead"

Very good point. Even though Malik said this one was "expertly translated" as opposed to another he called "roughly translated", not all of these words mean exactly what they are being translated to. It is always going to be paraphrasing to some degree. So we probably should not be killing him over it.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Ever summer one of our European players or prospects gives an interview back home that people get all bent out of shape about. I for one am not about to hang on to every word that appears in these half-ass translations.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ever summer one of our European players or prospects gives an interview back home that people get all bent out of shape about. I for one am not about to hang on to every word that appears in these half-ass translations.

Yup, like that article where it sounded like Tatar could bolt to the KHL years ago.

OMG. How could Babcock allow such things? And what blasphemy by Tatar!

:sarcasm:

Actual Thought*

He should have a send out a text saying "act like a professional" to every player he coaches? Or maybe they just should do that, since they are?

Are you really trying to spin Jurco mouthing off about an old coach 4,000 miles away as Blahsill's fault?

I am trying to say that since Dave Lewis was hired I don't recall Redwings mouthing off about their preferences in a coach or blaming the coach for their inability to do their job.
I find it laughable that so many here believe that somehow it was Babcock's fault that Jurco only managed to score 3 goals in 63 games. Most Redwing players would say they just want to help their team and will work hard to improve and execute whatever role the coach gives them. He didn't do that. He blamed Babcock and claimed it would be different under Blashill. Why?

In what universe does Jurco deserve scoring line minutes? How can he be so sure that Blashill will use him in the role he thinks he deserves? If he has already played for Blashill why does he believe it is okay to speak publicly about what traditionally are and should be, in house things?

Why would you want to defend Jurco? I say if he is a real player he should shut up and score some goals or shut up and play D. Just shut up. If your name isn't Zetterberg, Datsyuk, or Kronwall, your opinion doesn't matter. We probably have 10 kids in the organization that can come up and score 3 goals in 63 games. Dan ****ing Cleary can come in and score 3 goals in 63 games.
"Under Blashill perhaps it will change. He knows me well and knows exactly when I'm most useful to the team". Are you kidding me? When exactly is almost zero production most useful to the team? Shut up and do your job.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I find it laughable that so many here believe that somehow it was Babcock's fault that Jurco only managed to score 3 goals in 63 games.

I agree with you here. Jurco was given an opportunity and did nothing with it, and was fairly demoted gradually over the season to a checking line role.

What is interesting though is Babcock is the one who campaigned for him to be on the team, while it turned out to be he may have been better off in GR. It stinks, but it happens. Jurco was one of the best 12 players in camp so I get why he would want him. Also did well last year for him.

In what universe does Jurco deserve scoring line minutes? How can he be so sure that Blashill will use him in the role he thinks he deserves? If he has already played for Blashill why does he believe it is okay to speak publicly about what traditionally are and should be, in house things?

Well, I'm not sure what you define as scoring line minutes, but my guess is Jurco will be seeing time on the 3rd line this year for the most part. Probably will have considerably better linemates than he had last year though. Why did Jurco think it was okay to say what he did? Probably because he is 22 years old. And 4,000 miles away from Detroit. And Babcock is gone now, so who cares. I don't see how Blashill should take the hit for what he said. Just like I don't think Babcock should be blamed for when Tatar or whoever said some pretty interesting things too. How do we know Blashill hasn't told him that before (what you said), either? These are young people with free will who get asked bait questions by reporters. Things happen. You can't control anything they might say and do.

I bet someone told Sheahan not to drive drunk, but you know what, he did it anyways.

Why would you want to defend Jurco? I say if he is a real player he should shut up and score some goals or shut up and play D. Just shut up. If your name isn't Zetterberg, Datsyuk, or Kronwall, your opinion doesn't matter. We probably have 10 kids in the organization that can come up and score 3 goals in 63 games. Dan ****ing Cleary can come in and score 3 goals in 63 games.
"Under Blashill perhaps it will change. He knows me well and knows exactly when I'm most useful to the team". Are you kidding me? When exactly is almost zero production most useful to the team? Shut up and do your job.

He needs to prove himself with his actions and not his words at this point, more than anything. Absolutely. But if you expect 3 goals in 63 games to be his production moving forward, I'd say you are out to lunch. He is young and talented and I think you will see this year he comes back with a vengeance.

Last edited:

Actual Thought*

I agree with you here. Jurco was given an opportunity and did nothing with it, and was fairly demoted gradually over the season to a checking line role.

What is interesting though is Babcock is the one who campaigned for him to be on the team, while it turned out to be he may have been better off in GR. It stinks, but it happens. Jurco was one of the best 12 players in camp so I get why he would want him. Also did well last year for him.

Well, I'm not sure what you define as scoring line minutes, but my guess is Jurco will be seeing time on the 3rd line this year for the most part. Probably will have considerably better linemates than he had last year though. Why did Jurco think it was okay to say what he did? Probably because he is 22 years old. And 4,000 miles away from Detroit. And Babcock is gone now, so who cares. I don't see how Blashill should take the hit for what he said. Just like I don't think Babcock should be blamed for when Tatar or whoever said some pretty interesting things too. How do we know Blashill hasn't told him that before (what you said), either? These are young people with free will who get asked bait questions by reporters. Things happen. You can't control anything they might say and do.

I bet someone told Sheahan not to drive drunk, but you know what, he did it anyways.

He needs to prove himself with his actions and not his words at this point, more than anything. Absolutely. But if you expect 3 goals in 63 games to be his production moving forward, I'd say you are out to lunch. He is young and talented and I think you will see this year he comes back with a vengeance.

I agree with pretty much all of this. He should do the talking on the ice. Jurco and his comments combined with his lack of performance lead me to question his character. Maybe he will develop that under Blashill's warm embrace just like it was his Mama's bosom but I have my doubts.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Why is it alarm bells if a traditionally offensive player thinks that's his strength?

I guess in the translation he didn't admit to wanting to commit seppuku so the kid must have issues.

Fortunately we don't have to worry about people rushing to be wildly hyperbolic about something.

I think my post does a pretty good job of making my point, and what you're talking about has nothing to do with that.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am trying to say that since Dave Lewis was hired I don't recall Redwings mouthing off about their preferences in a coach or blaming the coach for their inability to do their job.
I find it laughable that so many here believe that somehow it was Babcock's fault that Jurco only managed to score 3 goals in 63 games. Most Redwing players would say they just want to help their team and will work hard to improve and execute whatever role the coach gives them. He didn't do that. He blamed Babcock and claimed it would be different under Blashill. Why?

Two or three years ago the summer was overrun with stories initially leaked by TSN that the players hated Babcock, paramount in that story was his leadership group had grown tired of him. There was no denial by the way.

Franzen went home after the Nashville series to play in the World Championships and immediately uncorked how nice it was to be having fun while playing hockey.

Those have bubbled up and it is about 50/50 in terms of feedback on him by players that leave. It also circulated quickly without any denial and continued publication that Filppula left as a direct result of Mike Babcock.

Believe what you want but there have been plenty of grumbles over the years. Clear back to Yzerman and Shanahan detesting him when he took over the team. Now most will point to their willingness to work with him since, but still there are a number of players that cannot stand Babcock and plenty of reports on it.

Jurco needs to play better, but him being excited to get a coach he thinks understands his game and communicates with him better isn't out of turn either. He thinks it will help as do a lot of people.

Most alarming is the news his back is still a big problem. That was a development I was not hoping to hear at all.

I don't care that he likes Blashill more, virtually everyone in a winged-Wheel will, including almost all of the front office save Holland if you believe a lot of the reports in May that were swirling.

Outside of the back-half being ruined by injury I think what he is driving at was he went on that nice scoring stretch in terms of assists in November and early December and got nothing in terms of ice-time. He was given some chances up the lineup and they didn't pan out, but I do think he was the victim at times of Babcock's curious line selection. Like the aforementioned time where he was hot and saw little reward. He needs to understand that is part of being a professional but it can be head scratching and he is a guy that has watched Blashill play the hot hand a lot and is hoping if he gets hot he will be rewarded.

Also when he was struggling to open his AHL career, Blashill spent a lot of time getting him out of that building his confidence. I think Jurco thinks he will do the same thing for him after a very tough year last year. That this is a guy that found ways to make me very effective and he is looking forward to that. Ultimately for him Babcock didn't do that he needs to own his part, but there is nothing wrong with optimism about somebody you really trust taking a big role in your life again in anything. However, if the same failures exist then at that point you're SOL and need to look in the mirror. Assuming he is somewhat healthy that is just how Jurco will be evaluated this year even as young as he is.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Fortunately we don't have to worry about people rushing to be wildly hyperbolic about something.

I think my post does a pretty good job of making my point, and what you're talking about has nothing to do with that.

I forgot this is the no fun zone.

You said you wanted Jurco to take responsibility, I think he did, and made a joke about the level it would take to make you happy. It had something to do with what you said.

Actual Thought*

Two or three years ago the summer was overrun with stories initially leaked by TSN that the players hated Babcock, paramount in that story was his leadership group had grown tired of him. There was no denial by the way.

Franzen went home after the Nashville series to play in the World Championships and immediately uncorked how nice it was to be having fun while playing hockey.

Those have bubbled up and it is about 50/50 in terms of feedback on him by players that leave. It also circulated quickly without any denial and continued publication that Filppula left as a direct result of Mike Babcock.

Believe what you want but there have been plenty of grumbles over the years. Clear back to Yzerman and Shanahan detesting him when he took over the team. Now most will point to their willingness to work with him since, but still there are a number of players that cannot stand Babcock and plenty of reports on it.

Jurco needs to play better, but him being excited to get a coach he thinks understands his game and communicates with him better isn't out of turn either. He thinks it will help as do a lot of people.

Most alarming is the news his back is still a big problem. That was a development I was not hoping to hear at all.

I don't care that he likes Blashill more, virtually everyone in a winged-Wheel will, including almost all of the front office save Holland if you believe a lot of the reports in May that were swirling.

Outside of the back-half being ruined by injury I think what he is driving at was he went on that nice scoring stretch in terms of assists in November and early December and got nothing in terms of ice-time. He was given some chances up the lineup and they didn't pan out, but I do think he was the victim at times of Babcock's curious line selection. Like the aforementioned time where he was hot and saw little reward. He needs to understand that is part of being a professional but it can be head scratching and he is a guy that has watched Blashill play the hot hand a lot and is hoping if he gets hot he will be rewarded.

Also when he was struggling to open his AHL career, Blashill spent a lot of time getting him out of that building his confidence. I think Jurco thinks he will do the same thing for him after a very tough year last year. That this is a guy that found ways to make me very effective and he is looking forward to that. Ultimately for him Babcock didn't do that he needs to own his part, but there is nothing wrong with optimism about somebody you really trust taking a big role in your life again in anything. However, if the same failures exist then at that point you're SOL and need to look in the mirror. Assuming he is somewhat healthy that is just how Jurco will be evaluated this year even as young as he is.

One thing I can't do is confuse the player with the person. I love the people but they don't pay me to evaluate that. I have to base my decisions on what I see game to game, shift to shift.
Mike Babcock

Blashill seems to confuse the person with the player. It's a worry.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
One thing I can't do is confuse the player with the person. I love the people but they don't pay me to evaluate that. I have to base my decisions on what I see game to game, shift to shift.
Mike Babcock

Blashill seems to confuse the person with the player. It's a worry.

Same guy who said...

"There's no bigger fan of Dan Cleary than Mike Babcock."

And then misused him for 2 years. And lobbied for him to get a contract he didn't deserve.

Again, words vs actions

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit

Well said. Your posts often make me wish there was a like button on this forum. As someone said above, no one is saying Jurco had a great season. The last time I got into this debate, someone accused me of implying Babcock literally told Jurco not to score goals. To this day it's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on this forum. Of course that didn't happen, but is it really that hard to imagine a scenario where Babcock went up to Jurco after one of his failed attempts at a dangle and said "if you try that **** again, you'll be on the first bus out of town"? Something like that can destroy a prospect's confidence.

And really even that argument is moot because someone will inevitably come along and say Babcock is making a player accountable for his mistakes, which is fine. But accountability cuts both ways. If we're gonna insist on saying Jurco needs to accept accountability, we must demand it out of Babcock as well. Babcock has consistently misused certain prospects. He did it with Jurco, he did it with Smith, he even started doing it with Pulkinnen. This is something that goes all the way back to Hudler. TZE may or may not be alluding to that, but it does sort of relate to the argument he made.

Jurco is wasted on a fourth line. His (formerly) well-regarded skill set belongs on a scoring line, even if it's the 3rd. Last summer I said he should go back to Grand Rapids. During parts of the season I said he should be in Grand Rapids. Jurco should have been in Grand Rapids this year. And honestly, that's about as accountable as it gets. If Pulkinnen had stayed up and seen excessive time on the 4th line, people would have gone ape****. Same goes for Nyquist and Tatar. Same will apply to Larkin, Mantha and probably Athanasiou. If you can't put him on the 3rd line, you put him in Grand Rapids. If, for whatever reason you can't do that, you trade him. What you absolutely do not do is stick him on the 4th line, which is the equivalent of a dead end job for a skilled player, and get pissed when he doesn't show you anything, especially in a season contending with back issues and a coach who gets up your *** every time you try to deke.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
BTW, was it just me, or did Jurco seem to hit more posts than anyone else last season?

Easily hit 10+ posts last year. Also his production suffered on 4th line (not that he really deserved being higher) because he had no one that could thread him some passes to save there lives.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
I forgot this is the no fun zone.

I'd imagine your definition of "fun" would change rather quickly were the shoe on the other foot.

You said you wanted Jurco to take responsibility, I think he did, and made a joke about the level it would take to make you happy. It had something to do with what you said.

Well, I guess there's just no arguing with people like you who think all coaches should be muzzled and allow any player to do whatever they want on the ice at all times regardless of system, so long as the player is made happy and content by his individuality.

Hey, you're right! Wildly misrepresenting an argument in order to make a silly, pointless joke is fun! Yes, let's make the whole board just everyone doing this to each other. Good times ahead! :)

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
Babcock has consistently misused certain prospects. He did it with Jurco, he did it with Smith, he even started doing it with Pulkinnen. This is something that goes all the way back to Hudler.

What is 'misuse', exactly? Is it possible to have a system where "properly using" a player actually becomes detrimental to the teams play as a whole?

I think it is. If you are a team that has a moderately defensive system, allowing players who are "best" used by just freewheeling around on the ice like they are Brett Hull in 1991 wrecks that system by creating holes and weaknesses elsewhere.

It is not about doing what is best for this player or that player or even that group of 3-5 players. It is about doing the things that are best to make the whole team better.

If we had some degree of evidence offensive hockey and substantial individual offensive freedom was a winning strategy in the modern NHL I'd be less opposed to it in general and less concerned by individual players plaintively requesting that freedom in specific.

But we don't, so I am. I completely understand why Jurco, as an offensive player, wants a bunch of offensive freedom. I also completely understand that on pretty much any winning team that kind of freedom a) doesn't exist, and b) surely bleeping does not exist for 22 year old second year forwards.

If Jurco is able to sublimate his need for significant offensive freedom for the betterment of the team, great. When I read those quotes, however, the impression I got from him was it's something he's had a problem with for more coaches than just Babcock.

Jurco is wasted on a fourth line.

It is a question of whether he is able to be productive within a system or whether his offense requires him to have complete autonomy out on the ice. The former is very useful, the latter is substantially less so.

Perhaps Blashill will employ a more open offensive system which is more to Jurco's liking in the short term. My hope in that case would be that when they see that system get pantsed in the playoff like that system always gets pantsed in the playoffs, they keep in mind what they were totally cool with players advocating (and I assume getting) now.

Actual Thought*

Same guy who said...

"There's no bigger fan of Dan Cleary than Mike Babcock."

And then misused him for 2 years. And lobbied for him to get a contract he didn't deserve.

Again, words vs actions

I have no idea what you are even talking about.

Prediction. Jurco's career will never be as successful as Cleary's. Blashill's will never win a cup. Both will be forgotten in 3-5 years but will be great friends for many years.
Babcock will go the the HHOF on the 1st ballot.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Well, I guess there's just no arguing with people like you who think all coaches should be muzzled and allow any player to do whatever they want on the ice at all times regardless of system, so long as the player is made happy and content by his individuality.

Hey, you're right! Wildly misrepresenting an argument in order to make a silly, pointless joke is fun! Yes, let's make the whole board just everyone doing this to each other. Good times ahead! :)

You talk about wildly misrepresenting an argument, but in your previous paragraph accuse Bench of saying that all coaches should be muzzled and allow any player to do what they want?

Come on, HD. Bench used hyperbole to make a point regarding people's expectations of a translated interview during the offseason with a loaded question about Blashill and Babcock. Basically "If it doesn't conform to exactly what I want to hear, then it is a problem." Do people forget the infamous Franzen "having fun" quote in 2012 which people completely stripped of context to bash the guy? Same exact thing.

I have no idea what you are even talking about.

Prediction. Jurco's career will never be as successful as Cleary's. Blashill's will never win a cup. Both will be forgotten in 3-5 years but will be great friends for many years.
Babcock will go the the HHOF on the 1st ballot.

Successful as in team accomplishments? Or are we talking individual accomplishments?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad