Tomas Jurco (Re-signed to two year deal, post #301)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think the very notion "fans" are hoping, expecting, praying that datsyuk or franzen or some other guy get hurt enough so as to go on LTIR and thus save us cap space is atrocious

KH needs to make a move regardless of injury situation so as to free up roster room for one of our dmen to develop further in the NHL, not only when an injury happens
No one is hoping for that. We already know Datsyuk will some some time and we don't know if Franzen will be good to go from day 1 either. So that's just reality. I also prefer that we keep our NHL team as strong as possible right now (I really like our chances this year) instead of making our team worse to try and develop lesser players. That is a rebuilding move, I say we go for it this year.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
No one is hoping for that. We already know Datsyuk will some some time and we don't know if Franzen will be good to go from day 1 either. So that's just reality. I also prefer that we keep our NHL team as strong as possible right now (I really like our chances this year) instead of making our team worse to try and develop lesser players. That is a rebuilding move, I say we go for it this year.

How is that rebuilding if Ouellet is better or at the same level as Kindl and younger

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Getting rid of Kindl would be nice but it still doesn't help us develop any of the kids very much.

Bottom pair in the NHL is better then playing in the ahl with nothing to learn

Im guessing you were totally fine with sending Mrazek back down to the minors because He wouldnt get enough games with a Healthy Howard in net? (not trying to sound rude)

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

come on now

we're not winning anything this year, ohs ure their is a chance but dallas and winnipeg also have "a chance."

we're building for the future and our efforts should be more heavily directed towards that end

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Bottom pair in the NHL is better then playing in the ahl with nothing to learn

Im guessing you were totally fine with sending Mrazek back down to the minors because He wouldnt get enough games with a Healthy Howard in net? (not trying to sound rude)

What you're talking about there though is more along the lines of moving Quincey. That way Kindl and Ouellet could rotate until somebody wins the job.

Quincey and Smith are probably not going to be press boxed very often. If you're about carrying Ouellet, he needs to win the sixth spot or at least be rotational for it to make any sense and not have him missing development time by sitting in the press box. It is a part of why I am in favor of moving Quincey. It allows one of Marchenko and Ouellet to see roster time especially with injuries (where both would likely see time) that are likely to happen. Since Quincey is not in the future plans he is the odd man out for me. Smith might join him but I am intrigued to see what Blashill's plans are before he is banished.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Jurco on his back:

Last summer, at the request of the team, you intensified your training somewhat. Is that how your back problems emerged, from this change?

"The back problems have a longer history. During the season, it got worse so I had to undergo various tests. They showed that I have a shifted disc. It certainly wasn't the result of summer training. I did exactly what the team wanted me to. But now my training with Dan Kicura has changed a little bit. Rather than power work I'm working on speed and agility, which I wasn't satisfied with during the past year. Moreover, I still can't do everything with the back."

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comment...the-win?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
who cares

kindl will have zero, 0%, effect on us winning anything this year

so if ouellet is worse well then it changes nothing

Except that as of right now, anyway, Kindl's the #7 dman. I'm not sure it helps any prospect to come up and sit in the pressbox, and there's no way Ouelett's shown himself to be any better than Detroit's current top 6.

What Kronwall did in the AHL, what Ericsson did in the AHL, heck, even what Smith did in the AHL... those are the things a defenseman has to do at that level to earn an early look. Ouelett's done none of those things. I don't think any of those guys down there have done anything close to it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Q:Authoritative coach Mike Babcock, who's headed to Toronto this summer, viewed you only as a 4th liner on this team. You got on ice for 6 to 7 minutes per game. How did you bear with this?

A:I had to focus on not making a mistake and my task was only to not allow a goal. I wanted to play in the NHL ever since I was a little boy, that' why I had to swallow it. As you could have also seen at the Worlds in Czech Republic, I didn't get enough room to play my brand of offensive hockey in Detroit. That's why I'd rather forget this past season, as It was the worst one in my career. I want to enjoy myself on the ice again and show that I'm a creative player, who can generate something and who can score.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comment...n-paper?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Sounds like he is whining about being expected to develop his game. "I am this kind of player and I don't want to be anything else".

If Blashill doesn't expect his forwards to play both ends of the ice this team is in trouble. I don't like players whining about their assigned roles. Kinda makes me lose some respect for Jurco.

I view this very differently. I think he's just saying that he doesn't think his role is what his skill set makes him best suited for. If Ovechkin had been on our team but played on the fourth line because his defense wasn't good enough and Babcock wanted him to focus entirely on that aspect of the game, he'd probably be very frustrated. Part of being a good coach is using your players in roles that fit their skill set. Jurco feels his skill set would be better used in another role. I agree with him. A team full of Glendenings would be a lottery team. There's no reason to force guys to play the game in a way they aren't effective.

Actual Thought*

I view this very differently. I think he's just saying that he doesn't think his role is what his skill set makes him best suited for. If Ovechkin had been on our team but played on the fourth line because his defense wasn't good enough and Babcock wanted him to focus entirely on that aspect of the game, he'd probably be very frustrated. Part of being a good coach is using your players in roles that fit their skill set. Jurco feels his skill set would be better used in another role. I agree with him. A team full of Glendenings would be a lottery team. There's no reason to force guys to play the game in a way they aren't effective.

Bowman forced Yzerman to learn to play a two way game. Jurco is no Yzerman. He is a one dimensional you tube sensation who seems to believe his own myth. I would rather he was willing to do whatever he is asked to help the team. When players start dictating the terms is when you lose a lot of games.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Agreed. I don't think Jurco is saying he doesn't want to play any defense. He wants "room" to do more than just play defense.

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Bowman forced Yzerman to learn to play a two way game. Jurco is no Yzerman. He is a one dimensional you tube sensation who seems to believe his own myth. I would rather he was willing to do whatever he is asked to help the team. When players start dictating the terms is when you lose a lot of games.
Obviously defense is a necessary part of the game, and Stevie Y becoming a great two way player was very beneficial. That's because Bowman turned him into a two way player. Babcock took a 1 dimensional offensive player and forced him to be a 1 dimensional defensive player. Completely stripping the offensive aspects of his game is never a good idea. Bowman didn't make Yzerman stop playing offense. He made him start playing defense. Babs made Jurco stop playing offense. (And he was willing to do what was asked of him. He played 0 offense and hard D. He's just frustrated with doing that because he thinks he can be more valuable than a less effective Glendening).

As far as YouTube goes, Jurco doesn't even do those types of moves anymore. He still has the potential for great puck control but I've never seen him suggest that flipping the puck up on his stick and playing lacrosse is a good idea.

And yes, coaching is necessary and players can't just pick their role. That doesn't mean players can't be frustrated and attempt to appeal to the coach for a larger or more fitting one when the role isn't working.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan

That's ridiculous. He was willing to do what he was asked to do by the team—he played a good defensive game last season in a completely new role. I feel he proved to be anything but one dimensional last season.

Comparing a 22 year old Jurco in his rookie/sophomore campaign with the team to a 10 year veteran Captain Steve Yzerman, who had won absolutely nothing to that point in his career, is like comparing apples and watermelons.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
From http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...6-year---26-million-extension-204826636.html:
"I don't want to be known as only the shutdown guy like it's been for the past few years," Couturier said in April. "I want to take a step forward offensively and be one of the go-to guys when we're down a goal and need a goal or need some offense.”
I'm not saying Jurco is anything like Couturier. But the comments are similar. Couturier even uses the word "only," just like Jurco, in describing his former role.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Okay, now Jurco knows more how to defend and I think his skills have not disappeared anywhere. We'll see better Jurco in the future, when Blashill will also fix his confidence.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

I recall being very impressed with Jurco's defensive ability last season. I wouldn't call him one dimensional

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Load of ****. Half of you have very hazy memory.

Jurco was good for missing easy passes, mishandling pucks, and getting lost. In fact the only redeeming factor was that he would use his body occasionally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad