Tomas Jurco (Re-signed to two year deal, post #301)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Load of ****. Half of you have very hazy memory.

Jurco was good for missing easy passes, mishandling pucks, and getting lost. In fact the only redeeming factor was that he would use his body occasionally.

His expected role and minutes make it hard to say with authority that's how he'll shake out this year though. And Jurco himself has said it was his worst season of his life, so not like he's hanging his hat at the end of the day going "Nailed it."

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Im definitely hoping he turns it around.

He didnt start out on the grind line though. He worked his way down to it.

I agree.

Also, when I start hearing stuff from a young player like "As you could have also seen at the Worlds in Czech Republic, I didn't get enough room to play my brand of offensive hockey in Detroit. That's why I'd rather forget this past season, as It was the worst one in my career. I want to enjoy myself on the ice again and show that I'm a creative player, who can generate something and who can score"... man, the alarm bells just start clanging and banging.

There's nothing there taking responsibility for his play. Nothing about learning, or doing different things or getting better. Translation, context, there are a lot of explanations for that absence, but it could also be that Jurco's the next coming of Dick Axelsson or something.

Jurco's got a pretty narrow window here to stick with the team. He (and Pulkkinen, and pretty much any 22-24 year old forward) only has maybe a year or two before he'll start getting real pressure from the next crop of prospect forwards for those NHL spots.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Why is it alarm bells if a traditionally offensive player thinks that's his strength?

I guess in the translation he didn't admit to wanting to commit seppuku so the kid must have issues.

Actual Thought*

Obviously defense is a necessary part of the game, and Stevie Y becoming a great two way player was very beneficial. That's because Bowman turned him into a two way player. Babcock took a 1 dimensional offensive player and forced him to be a 1 dimensional defensive player. Completely stripping the offensive aspects of his game is never a good idea. Bowman didn't make Yzerman stop playing offense. He made him start playing defense. Babs made Jurco stop playing offense. (And he was willing to do what was asked of him. He played 0 offense and hard D. He's just frustrated with doing that because he thinks he can be more valuable than a less effective Glendening).

As far as YouTube goes, Jurco doesn't even do those types of moves anymore. He still has the potential for great puck control but I've never seen him suggest that flipping the puck up on his stick and playing lacrosse is a good idea.

And yes, coaching is necessary and players can't just pick their role. That doesn't mean players can't be frustrated and attempt to appeal to the coach for a larger or more fitting one when the role isn't working.

That's ridiculous. He was willing to do what he was asked to do by the team—he played a good defensive game last season in a completely new role. I feel he proved to be anything but one dimensional last season.

Comparing a 22 year old Jurco in his rookie/sophomore campaign with the team to a 10 year veteran Captain Steve Yzerman, who had won absolutely nothing to that point in his career, is like comparing apples and watermelons.

The mere fact he is declaring what his role will be under Blashill is concerning. The fact he is complaining publicly and Blaming Babcock for the fact that he sucked offensively is concerning. He would have gotten more minutes and more opportunity if he had shown even a tiny bit of offensive ability which he completely failed to do. He scored 3 ****ing goals and he is qualified to complain about his role? No. He sucked. I would rather he took a little responsibility for the fact that he sucked. Great players don't blame their coach when they fail to do their job. It baffles me how so many here are opposed to holding prospects accountable. I also don't like that Jurco is happy Blash is taking over because he will never ask him to move outside of his comfort zone. The more I here from these guys the more I think Blashill is destined to fail. He is way too friendly with the players.

Actual Thought*

Why is it alarm bells if a traditionally offensive player thinks that's his strength?

I guess in the translation he didn't admit to wanting to commit seppuku so the kid must have issues.

He doesn't seem to take responsibility for his abysmal play. As Mijatovic said "He didn't start on the grind line he worked his way down to it".

It wasn't Babcock's fault he sucked. Babs just held him accountable and he didn't like it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He doesn't seem to take responsibility for his abysmal play. As Mijatovic said "He didn't start on the grind line he worked his way down to it".

It wasn't Babcock's fault he sucked. Babs just held him accountable and he didn't like it.

I think that's the slant you guys are putting into the quote. He said it was the worst season of his career, which doesn't sound like a guy thrilled with his play.

I also think it's reasonable for him to say he wants to play a more creative offensive game than he was asked to do on the 4th line. The Wings didn't draft him to be a bottom 6 banger, so the idea that he's an only adequate 4th liner, and feels more comfortable creating offense, isn't really a huge surprise. If anything, him being a really good grinder would be the surprise.

So he says something I find pretty obvious and he's nailed for being a problem child already. Come on. I guess he doesn't have great PR savvy like Dan Cleary, who would surely have said exactly the right thing about all the details of his game he needs to improve.

Do we want players that have offensive swagger and confidence or not? I hate that the Wings culture has tried to beat it out of players in favor of safe plays.

Actual Thought*

I think that's the slant you guys are putting into the quote. He said it was the worst season of his career, which doesn't sound like a guy thrilled with his play.

I also think it's reasonable for him to say he wants to play a more creative offensive game than he was asked to do on the 4th line. The Wings didn't draft him to be a bottom 6 banger, so the idea that he's an only adequate 4th liner, and feels more comfortable creating offense, isn't really a huge surprise. If anything, him being a really good grinder would be the surprise.

So he says something I find pretty obvious and he's nailed for being a problem child already. Come on. I guess he doesn't have great PR savvy like Dan Cleary, who would surely have said exactly the right thing about all the details of his game he needs to improve.

Do we want players that have offensive swagger and confidence or not? I hate that the Wings culture has tried to beat it out of players in favor of safe plays.
This is such nonsense. The Wings have created a culture of accountability. Nobody told Jurco he couldn't be an offensive player. They told him he had to be defensively responsible first and offensive second because that is how you win. He failed and now he is blaming the coach who is considered the best coach in hockey everywhere but here. Cleary did what was asked of him and never publicly complained. As a matter of fact Redwings in general have done their jobs without publicly complaining until Blashill was named coach. This sudden lack of staying on message coupled with the joy players have expressed over the "nice" coach coming is very concerning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actual Thought*

Ferarro scored 1 goal in 3 reg. season games. Jurco scored 3 in 63 reg. season games.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
- Kenny signed Mike Green, and (so far, knock on wood) has avoided re-signing Cleary. He also signed Richards to a very low risk contract and bought out Weiss. Re-signed Nyquist to a reasonable contract.

- Cleary is no longer on roster.

- Quincey was halfway decent last season.

- With the signing of Green, Ericsson may (hopefully) see a reduced role more fitting to his skill level. Not saying Green replaces him defensively, just that he pushes him down the depth chart a bit.

- Kindl doesn't really play, hard to complain about him too much other than we wish to be rid of his contract.

So with all that (and more), I guess Jurco is the new whipping boy for people to turn on?

Man, I hate the off-season.:shakehead

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
As a matter of fact Redwings in general have done their jobs without publicly complaining until Blashill was named coach. This sudden lack of staying on message coupled with the joy players have expressed over the "nice" coach coming is very concerning.

Where did Blashill condone these comments? It's the first time in 10 years there has been a coaching change, obviously a guy is not going to make these types of comments about a coach that is still there publicly. Was Blashill supposed to be in Slovakia to tell him to shut up? Like what was he gonna do?

And players being happy about a new coach. Yeah, that's awful dude.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The mere fact he is declaring what his role will be under Blashill is concerning. The fact he is complaining publicly and Blaming Babcock for the fact that he sucked offensively is concerning. He would have gotten more minutes and more opportunity if he had shown even a tiny bit of offensive ability which he completely failed to do. He scored 3 ****ing goals and he is qualified to complain about his role? No. He sucked. I would rather he took a little responsibility for the fact that he sucked. Great players don't blame their coach when they fail to do their job. It baffles me how so many here are opposed to holding prospects accountable. I also don't like that Jurco is happy Blash is taking over because he will never ask him to move outside of his comfort zone. The more I here from these guys the more I think Blashill is destined to fail. He is way too friendly with the players.

The lengths you seem willing to go to in order to bash Blashill are getting fairly hilarious. :amazed::shakehead

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010

I must have missed where Jurco said that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Of course Blashill is gonna put a guy like Jurco to TOP6, because he is too friendly and player wants to be there. Maybe Blashill will put Datsyuk on the 4th line, because he never complains about everything. :shakehead:

My god these off-season discussions. Sky is falling about nothing.

Jurco's comments were imo very very realistic about himself. Not whining. I like that he wants more, a bigger role, and is gonna fight for it for sure. he knows what he is and what he can bring on the team. There was just better and experienced players in front of him with big minutes and he wasn't a liability on his 4th line duties. So it was a fit on that situation. he brought a nice different dimension there others couldn't.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Of course Blashill is gonna put a guy like Jurco to TOP6, because he is too friendly and player wants to be there. Maybe Blashill will put Datsyuk on the 4th line, because he never complains about everything. :shakehead:

My god these off-season discussions. Sky is falling about nothing.

Jurco's comments were imo very very realistic about himself. Not whining. I like that he wants more, a bigger role, and is gonna fight for it for sure. he knows what he is and what he can bring on the team. There was just better and experienced players in front of him with big minutes and he wasn't a liability on his 4th line duties. So it was a fit on that situation. he brought a nice different dimension there others couldn't.

I know, people freaking out because he wasn't happy last year being Kopecky 2.0. He doesn't want to be a 4th line grinder - that's a good thing! If he has an NHL career as a 4th liner, he is a bust and his career will be as an underachiever.

Fact is, he came to pre-season, and in his own words, "left his hands at the airport". Then came the inevitable loss of confidence, loss of trust from Babcock, and lots of time on the 4th line.

Personally I think that long term it will do him good. He now has a base established of knowing how to play responsible hockey that he can build on with his skill set (and hopefully work even harder in the off season).

He's definately on my list of "players that need to regain their confidence now Babs has gone"

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Wait, a guy who has some offensive tools doesn't want to be a grinder all the time? He is frustrated?

968full-eddard-stark.jpg

Actual Thought*

Ferraro on pace for 27 goals, obviously.

I was just illustrating how pathetic Jurco's performance was. For a guy who sees himself as an offensive player he sure didn't create any offence and he blames the coach. Why would Babcock reward him with minutes or linemates? He was terrible. You can't hold your players accountable when you reward a guy like Jurco for being bad. People who believe Blashill is the magic elixr that will make all prospects suddenly great are in for a rude awakening. Jurco isn't anywhere close to being a top 6 player on ANY team in the NHL. If he continues to play like he has he will be lucky to play out his contract on an NHL roster.

Actual Thought*

Where did Blashill condone these comments? It's the first time in 10 years there has been a coaching change, obviously a guy is not going to make these types of comments about a coach that is still there publicly. Was Blashill supposed to be in Slovakia to tell him to shut up? Like what was he gonna do?

And players being happy about a new coach. Yeah, that's awful dude.

Maybe when he is texting his buddies he could say "Act like a professional"?

Oct 18, 2006
I was just illustrating how pathetic Jurco's performance was. For a guy who sees himself as an offensive player he sure didn't create any offence and he blames the coach. Why would Babcock reward him with minutes or linemates? He was terrible. You can't hold your players accountable when you reward a guy like Jurco for being bad. People who believe Blashill is the magic elixr that will make all prospects suddenly great are in for a rude awakening. Jurco isn't anywhere close to being a top 6 player on ANY team in the NHL. If he continues to play like he has he will be lucky to play out his contract on an NHL roster.
Remember when Nino Niederreiter had 1 goal and 1 total point in 55 games in 2012? Yeah, sometimes youngsters struggle, for one reason or another. Nino had 24 goals last season. Let's not throw Jurco under a bus yet, is still extremely young.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe when he is texting his buddies he could say "Act like a professional"?

He should have a send out a text saying "act like a professional" to every player he coaches? Or maybe they just should do that, since they are?

Are you really trying to spin Jurco mouthing off about an old coach 4,000 miles away as Blahsill's fault?

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Due to injuries, Jurco will probably get minutes on the third, as well as on fourth, line this season, I think. But I also think that it is not outside the realm of possibilities to imagine that Ferraro will give him competition for that role and may even win it. In fact, I'd say that the length of Jurco's contract is a reflection, not only of his ability, but also of how much competition the Wings expect him to face, not just from Ferraro, but also from Nastasiuk, who could earn a call up this season. And both of those two are right-handed shots, something the Wings will likely be in a hurry to add.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Due to injuries, Jurco will probably get minutes on the third, as well as on fourth, line this season, I think. But I also think that it is not outside the realm of possibilities to imagine that Ferraro will give him competition for that role and may even win it. In fact, I'd say that the length of Jurco's contract is a reflection, not only of his ability, but also of how much competition the Wings expect him to face, not just from Ferraro, but also from Nastasiuk, who could earn a call up this season. And both of those two are right-handed shots, something the Wings will likely be in a hurry to add.

Nasty won't win a call up this season. He simply does not have the foot speed at this point to play in the NHL. It may develop with time, but it isn't there yet. I like Ferraro but Jurco was much more impactful at the NHL level last year.

Not long ago every third comment on this board *****ed about Holland's insistence on over-ripening prospects. What happens when he finally brings a guy up to the big club relatively early? People flip out that he struggled and want to throw him on the first flight back to Bratislava.

I for one am very happy that he isn't satisfied being a defensive fourth liner. Few things are more pathetic than a lack of ambition.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
As you could have also seen at the Worlds in Czech Republic, I didn't get enough room to play my brand of offensive hockey in Detroit.

This quote is a bit troubling to me. Unless I am misunderstanding him, he didn't like his defensive role in Detroit, but he got to show off his offensive game playing in the worlds? Where he got no goals and 1 assist? Wow, glad they let you unleash your skill.

He is young. Younger than we are used to seeing in Detroit. I hope he grows and becomes this great offensive threat... but I just don't see it in him. I hope I'm wrong

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Jurco is a whole lot of bleh at the moment. Normally i would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he finds his game within 2-3 seasons, but when you have guys like Larkin that are better than Jurco or players like Mantha with higher upside, i start to think that the Wings should trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad