Value of: Tomas Hertl

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Well...He holds all the cards now. I mean, past the 3 teams on his list. You are saying that he would rather reject a trade and a playoff run with a team he selects than play. Which doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe he has a young family and doesnt want to be traded to the far away. The reverse is true of Giroux who could force a trade to teams a short shuttle flight from home. He could have a playoff run and not have to move away from his family.

Nah. I was agreeing with you in the sense that he does not need to 'open' up his list anymore than he wants. Whether it is sticking to 3 teams OR making that list 5.

At the end of the day, he most likely wants to re-sign where he gets traded to. I have followed Hertl since he got drafted (was a Sharks fan) and he is a very good kid. He has taken discounts to stay with the Sharks and I don't think he is there for the highest payday. He probably has preferences based on geographic regions and team quality (playoffs) but will likely not just go after the money.

I would not be surprised if he would seriously look at one of the east coast teams since he is from the Czech republic (for travel purposes).

Reactions: txpd

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Byram and Newhook will also need raises and they have no goalies under contract.

Getting rid of Girard and EJ solves this problem. Byram and Newhook won't be getting any crazy pay raise, very likely a bridge deal like another poster said. Byram is out again for personal reasons, the guy can't stay healthy, I'd love to be optimistic about Byram getting a juicy contract because when he's in the lineup he is a game changer, but the kid unfortunately can't even remain in the lineup for more than 2 weeks at a time.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Matt Duchene is a fair comp here. Production and position are there; he had 58 points in 50 games at the time of his trade to Columbus. No trade protection, though.

1st (from a WC type team going for it)
Conditional 1st (the now outlawed poison pill for re-signing; did not transfer)
Abramov (B+ prospect? He failed to make Pronman's Top 50 list mid-season 2019, FWIW)
Davidsson (B prospect)

No big piece, but good value. Spitballing, an equivalent may be New York's 1st, Kravtsov and another B-prospect. A true contender may have to bump up the prospect to compensate for the lower expected 1st rounder.

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
Matt Duchene is a fair comp here. Production and position are there; he had 58 points in 50 games at the time of his trade to Columbus. No trade protection, though.

1st (from a WC type team going for it)
Conditional 1st (the now outlawed poison pill for re-signing; did not transfer)
Abramov (B+ prospect? He failed to make Pronman's Top 50 list mid-season 2019, FWIW)
Davidsson (B prospect)

No big piece, but good value. Spitballing, an equivalent may be New York's 1st, Kravtsov and another B-prospect. A true contender may have to bump up the prospect to compensate for the lower expected 1st rounder.

Duchenne wasn't a rental

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Do Sharks fans think Washington's first round pick + Hendrix Lapierre gets the trade done, assuming Hertl is willing to come to Washington? Would the first round pick + Connor McMichael get it done? Or does Washington perhaps need to add a bit more?

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Do Sharks fans think Washington's first round pick + Hendrix Lapierre gets the trade done, assuming Hertl is willing to come to Washington? Would the first round pick + Connor McMichael get it done? Or does Washington perhaps need to add a bit more?
I'd do it as a sharks fan. I'm a massive Lapierre fan though.

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
Interesting offer but I would prefer McMichael. New CBA changes things as I feel old days would include 2023 3rd that turns into a first if he stays in Washington long term.

I would say first,McMichael and add on Alexeyev or Garrett Pilon

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
From Yahoo fantasy news:
Yesterday, 6:37 pm
Tomas Hertl may be getting a contract offer from San Jose over the next month, according to TSN's Pierre LeBrun.
Advice: “I expect the San Jose Sharks to circle back around over the next month here and perhaps make an offer to Tomas Hertl," LeBrun said Thursday on TSN's Insider Trading. Hertl can become an unrestricted free agent after this season. He has been productive in 2021-22 with 20 goals and 31 points in 38 games.

Keeping him would be a home run if Dougie can pull it off.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
From Yahoo fantasy news:

Keeping him would be a home run if Dougie can pull it off.
As much as I like him, I am not sold on the sharks being good enough to make use of him in his prime. I feel like getting a bluechip asset and a first would help us get back on the path to winning faster.

Reactions: WSS11

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I would do either and be happy.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I would do either and be happy.

I hope Washington considers something like this. Peter Laviolette doesn’t trust McMichael for whatever reason, and I don’t see Lapierre being a major factor in DC for the next few years. If Washington can sign Hertl to an extension it’d be a no-brainer. Even as a rental I think Washington needs to consider it, especially with Backstrom coming off a serious injury that may never leave him the same player.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
As much as I like him, I am not sold on the sharks being good enough to make use of him in his prime. I feel like getting a bluechip asset and a first would help us get back on the path to winning faster.
Maybe bluechip is being used loosely here, but usually bluechip prospects aren't traded for rentals.

I mean there are exceptions, but i think getting a 1st, a non-bluechip prospect and younger roster player is a realistic return.

Or if a true blue chip is included, the pick probably goes down.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada

If a team gives up a lot to get a prime rental, they will want an extension so if you don't mind the risk of losing him for good, roll the dice.

I still think you guys can be competitive and back to the top echelon with a re-signed Hertl and a few additional pieces.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Maybe bluechip is being used loosely here, but usually bluechip prospects aren't traded for rentals.

I mean there are exceptions, but i think getting a 1st, a non-bluechip prospect and younger roster player is a realistic return.

Or if a true blue chip is included, the pick probably goes down.
If thats all we can get then resigning is easily the better option. We are not interested in a late first, Studnicka and Debrusk.

Reactions: Gecklund

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
If a team gives up a lot to get a prime rental, they will want an extension so if you don't mind the risk of losing him for good, roll the dice.

I still think you guys can be competitive and back to the top echelon with a re-signed Hertl and a few additional pieces.
I think if the sharks trade him, hes not coming back. So if him resigning gets us more assets, then you take it.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
If thats all we can get then resigning is easily the better option. We are not interested in a late first, Studnicka and Debrusk.
I'm not even saying Bruins, I'm saying historically, he's a rental. Any team asking isn't likely going to send you a bluechipper.

Not many bluechip are sent out for a rental.

Of course the best option for SJ would be to re-sign him. That's between Hertl and the team though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad