Value of: Tom Wilson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Pretty sure he just said he wants to play for no other team than Washington

Reactions: ujju2

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
What about DeBrincat for Wilson as a base

Investing in a 29 year old power forward who just missed 50 games last season due to injury seems like a bad idea. If a contender wants him for one season I could see it, for a bubble team to try and add him to there core for long term seems like a terrible idea.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Investing in a 29 year old power forward who just missed 50 games last season due to injury seems like a bad idea. If a contender wants him for one season I could see it, for a bubble team to try and add him to there core for long term seems like a terrible idea.
Tom Wilson is a 29 year old Power Forward with one major injury to speak of in his entire career.

Josh Anderson is a 29 year old Power Forward who has played essentially one full season in eight seasons in the NHL.

Wonder if you likewise think a bubble team adding Anderson (an objectively inferior player with the added bonus of being on a worse contract) is also a “terrible idea?” If you agree, great, you can join the rest of the sane on HFBoards, however, I should warn you that stated position is anathema to HfHabs.

Last edited:

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Pretty sure he just said he wants to play for no other team than Washington

Eh, players say lots of things, could maybe be convinced to try somewhere new.

I’ll be interested to see if he holds up or Clarksons. Seemed kinda quiet last year, but that’s a big injury to return from.

Reactions: Coffees

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Eh, players say lots of things, could maybe be convinced to try somewhere new.

I’ll be interested to see if he holds up or Clarksons. Seemed kinda quiet last year, but that’s a big injury to return from.
Again, pay attention. Since the injury Tom Wilson played 30+ games to close the season. To my eye (and I’ve seen similar sentiment among other Caps fans) Wilson looked tentative initially but as the season wore on he seemed to get back up to near full speed. He looked a tick slower but I’d imagine a full Off-Season will help and he’ll be right back to where he was before or close to it.

He also score at the highest rate of his career in those 30+ Games.

I’d say Wilson is just fine physically, the guy is known to keep himself in phenomenal shape. I’d put the chances that he “Clarksons” at almost nil, he’s in remarkably better shape than Clarkson ever was and plays a much more cognitive and strategic game than Clarkson did. It’s highly doubtful Wilson is going to fall off any time soon.

Reactions: ujju2

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Tom Wilson is a 29 year old Power Forward with one major injury to speak of in his entire career.

Josh Anderson is a 29 year old Power Forward who has played essentially one full season in eight seasons in the NHL.

Wonder if you likewise think a bubble team adding Anderson (an objectively inferior player with the added bonus of being on a worse contract) is also a “terrible idea?” If you agree, great, you can join the rest of the sane on HFBoards, however, I should warn you that stated position is anathema to HfHabs.

1) Since he became a full time player Anderson has played 78, 63, 82, 26 (of 70), 52 (of 56), 69, 69 for 439 out of 536 potential games.

In the same time frame Wilson has played 82, 78, 63, 68 (out of 70), 47 (out of 56), 78, 33 for 449 out of 536 potential games.

A truly staggering difference between 82% of games and 84% of games. Weird how 69 games for Anderson is not a full year but 63 and 68 are for Wilson?

2) I know that math clearly isn't your strong suit, but surely you understand the passage of time? That, while both players are the same age now, Anderson wasn't 29 when we traded for him 3 years ago?

3) Your whole thing about Wilson being on a better contract is completely missing the reality of the situation. He has one year left on his deal (which is why I said a contender should get him for 1 run), but if the Sens want to sign him long term HE WON'T BE ON THAT CONTRACT. He'll sign a contract that will probably be looked at very similarly to the one Lucic is just finishing.

4) I, along with most Habs fans, understood that Anderson's contract would probably be decent for the first half, then bad for the second half. He played some big minutes for us in the top 6 on a cup finals run, then put up back to back 20 goal years, and now he'll be going in to the last year of the first half of his contract next season. The problem is when he was signed Habs management expected a few more seasons out of Price and Weber, then rebuild after that, rather than lose both guys and start the rebuild in 21-22 season near the start of his contract.

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
One year left to UFA. I think the next two years are going to be tough in Washington.

I think the Caps would be looking for futures if Wilson were available.
I believe he will re-sign remain a Capital....I'd trade him though.

I kind of see him going the way of Lucic.

A wrecking ball in his prime with very rapid decline into oblivion .

I feel confident enough to say he will under perform his next contrac in relation to value. You can already clearly see he has lost his edge.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I believe he will re-sign remain a Capital....I'd trade him though.

I kind of see him going the way of Lucic.

A wrecking ball in his prime with very rapid decline into oblivion .

I feel confident enough to say he will under perform his next contrac in relation to value. You can already clearly see he has lost his edge.

I was thinking Simmonds, but yeah, agreed.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
1) Since he became a full time player Anderson has played 78, 63, 82, 26 (of 70), 52 (of 56), 69, 69 for 439 out of 536 potential games.

In the same time frame Wilson has played 82, 78, 63, 68 (out of 70), 47 (out of 56), 78, 33 for 449 out of 536 potential games.

A truly staggering difference between 82% of games and 84% of games. Weird how 69 games for Anderson is not a full year but 63 and 68 are for Wilson?

2) I know that math clearly isn't your strong suit, but surely you understand the passage of time? That, while both players are the same age now, Anderson wasn't 29 when we traded for him 3 years ago?

3) Your whole thing about Wilson being on a better contract is completely missing the reality of the situation. He has one year left on his deal (which is why I said a contender should get him for 1 run), but if the Sens want to sign him long term HE WON'T BE ON THAT CONTRACT. He'll sign a contract that will probably be looked at very similarly to the one Lucic is just finishing.

4) I, along with most Habs fans, understood that Anderson's contract would probably be decent for the first half, then bad for the second half. He played some big minutes for us in the top 6 on a cup finals run, then put up back to back 20 goal years, and now he'll be going in to the last year of the first half of his contract next season. The problem is when he was signed Habs management expected a few more seasons out of Price and Weber, then rebuild after that, rather than lose both guys and start the rebuild in 21-22 season near the start of his contract.
This is the height of disingenuous gaslighting and you should really be ashamed.

You specifically cited that Power Forwards are a gamble based on the possibility of…

Again, please tell us how many man games Wilson has missed due to injury in his career.

Now do the same for Anderson.

In December 2018 Anderson missed multiple games because of an Upper Body Injury that may have been a concussion. A season in which he missed twenty (20) Games.
Anderson Injury Dec 2018
Missed six (6) Games in October 2019 again with an Upper Body Injury, likely his first shoulder injury.
Anderson Injury Oct 2019
Anderson missed 57 Games in 2019 recovering from surgery on a torn labrum.
Anderson Injury 2019-20
Missed multiple games after a leg injury in 2021.
Anderson Injury Feb 2021
Missed 2-4 weeks in December of 2021 with an Upper Body Injury
Anderson Injury Dec 2021
Missed 14 Games of the 2022-23 Season including the end of the season with a High Ankle Sprain.
Anderson Injury Mar 2023

It’s not possible to catalog all of Josh Anderson’s injuries because there are so many of them. On the other hand, and exactly as I said, Wilson has missed significant time with exactly one injury at the beginning of this season.

When Wilson is out of the lineup it’s because he’s suspended, which I don’t suspect impacts how productive he’ll be in the latter part of his career. In contrast when Josh Anderson takes to the ice, it’s more likely than not that he ends up injured, which speaks incredibly poorly for his career longevity. Them’s the breaks no matter how you’d like to spin them.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
This is the height of disingenuous gaslighting and you should really be ashamed.

You specifically cited that Power Forwards are a gamble based on the possibility of…

Again, please tell us how many man games Wilson has missed due to injury in his career.

Now do the same for Anderson.

In December 2018 Anderson missed multiple games because of an Upper Body Injury that may have been a concussion. A season in which he missed twenty (20) Games.
Anderson Injury Dec 2018
Missed six (6) Games in October 2019 again with an Upper Body Injury, likely his first shoulder injury.
Anderson Injury Oct 2019
Anderson missed 57 Games in 2019 recovering from surgery on a torn labrum.
Anderson Injury 2019-20
Missed multiple games after a leg injury in 2021.
Anderson Injury Feb 2021
Missed 2-4 weeks in December of 2021 with an Upper Body Injury
Anderson Injury Dec 2021
Missed 14 Games of the 2022-23 Season including the end of the season with a High Ankle Sprain.
Anderson Injury Mar 2023

It’s not possible to catalog all of Josh Anderson’s injuries because there are so many of them. On the other hand, and exactly as I said, Wilson has missed significant time with exactly one injury at the beginning of this season.

When Wilson is out of the lineup it’s because he’s suspended, which I don’t suspect impacts how productive he’ll be in the latter part of his career. In contrast when Josh Anderson takes to the ice, it’s more likely than not that he ends up injured, which speaks incredibly poorly for his career longevity. Them’s the breaks no matter how you’d like to spin them.
7lsdr4.jpg

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Change this meme to “Someone said something incorrect, disingenuous, and blatantly and verifiably wrong about something related to the Caps and I took that personally” and you’ll at least be closer. Still wrong but closer.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Would love him on the Devils. Would only trade for him if he signs an extension. He's legit one of the last real power forwards in the game. The term gets thrown around way too much. Can't think of any players who fit that mold legitimately like he does.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Nah. Both parties seem to be focused on another mid-long term contract for Wilson to finish up with the Caps. Next couple seasons he will be a top6 powerforward, following 2-3 years he will be leader and protecter of the young kids Caps start to rebuild into. Pretty clean plan.

Futures package would always come from a contending team and I dont think a late 1st + "decent" prospect kind of deal is worth to let him go. And I think Caps front office agrees.

Only way Wilson moves is a "hockey trade" where we get essentially better player back. That seems like something that wont make much sense for the other team. Unless Toronto wants to mix it up big time and trade Marner for us, or something like that, cant see this going down.

Reactions: Kalopsia and hhlg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad