Prospect Info: Tom Willander: 11th Overall 2023 Draft (Rogle BK J20) - Part 02

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I didn't think he was anywhere close to making the team out of camp. He had one pretty good preseason game and then a couple of absolute nothing ones.

Right now what I see is an undersized perimeter player.

He's a good prospect, to be sure, and maybe he'll score 30 goals in the NHL someday but I'll reserve 'elite goalscoring prospect' for the guys who are actually doing elite things by their draft+3. Like Boeser was, as an example.
I feel like it’s hard to judge Lekk just based on D+ whatever. His physical development seems to be behind most of folks in his draft class. I think he’ll be a good player once he grows physically a bit more.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
you are the one that posted that “if my grandma had wheels she’ll be a bike” inferring the impossibility of Lekk killing it.
The meaning of the phrase in conversation is that one is suggesting a contingency that is remote, not impossible. At this point Lekkerimaki does not look capable of dominating at the AHL level.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I didn't think he was anywhere close to making the team out of camp. He had one pretty good preseason game and then a couple of absolute nothing ones

Well he was virtually the last cut, so they were clearly trying to get a look at him. I believe Tocchet said they would try to get him into some games this season.

I'll take that bet. Winner gets to choose the losers' avatar for the remainder of the season?
Well @bandwagonesque? All talk?

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The meaning of the phrase in conversation is that one is suggesting a contingency that is remote, not impossible. At this point Lekkerimaki does not look capable of dominating at the AHL level.
No the joke is to highlight the absurdity of hypothetical situations. I don’t find Lekk killing it in the A that absurd at all. I think a lot of us have high hopes for the kid considering his record of being the MVP for his SHL team and team Sweden.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Don’t use jokes that are made famous by celebrities?

It’s weird and premature to assume that Lekk doesnt have the capability to do so. Are we writing him off because he had an illness to start the season?

Nobody is ‘writing him off’.

I disagreed with the notion that he’s an ‘elite goal scoring prospect’ given where he’s at in his draft +3 and believe that team should be reserved for, like, Michkov or a young Boeser or whatever. JL is clearly nowhere near that level.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
It would be a monumental mistake to trade him now. Players like Brzuskewicz have clear holes in their games despite putting up numbers (as shown by his 1 assist in 7 games in the AHL) - they make for perfect trade bait.

Willander looks like a sure bet to be at least a top 4 at the NHL level, with a shot at top pairing.
Brzustewicz was a better prospect than Willander a few pages ago 😭

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Well he was virtually the last cut, so they were clearly trying to get a look at him. I believe Tocchet said they would try to get him into sunny games this season.
There are several things that could go into Lekk being a late cut. They include:

1. Your conclusion that he came close to making the team.
2. The team wanted to get as long a look at him as possible.
3. For a long while it looked like the Canucks might have to start the season using LTIR. If they were doing that than they would want to have Lekk on the season opening roster to avoid taking his potential performance bonuses into their total cap hit.
4. They wanted to showcase him, putting him with to offensive linemates in the hope he'd have good production in the preseason.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I am not saying you are. Can you just scroll up and see what I was responding to???

No I am not saying that he’s an elite prospect. I just think players that has like 2nd line potential being close to the big league are pretty close to untouchable. That’s just how the league has trended and if we go big game hunting, it’s most likely going to be B level prospects. Hell look at what Guentzel got. I just don’t see Lekk or Willander going back in any trades.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I am not saying you are. Can you just scroll up and see what I was responding to???
He's not saying he didn't, he's saying no one did. You don't seem to be making a basic effort to understand what you're reading.

We can make any bet about our avatars you want, I couldn't care less if mine was Goatse or 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB

Reactions: JT Milker

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He's not saying he didn't, he's saying no one did. You don't seem to be making a basic effort to understand what you're reading.

We can make any bet about our avatars you want, I couldn't care less if mine was Goatse or 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB
Me: if Lekk kills it then he is pretty much untouchable
You: if my grandma has wheels bla bla bla
Me: why would you say him killing it is almost impossible
MS: nobody is claiming that we should write him off

What the f*** are we doing here.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I disagreed with the notion that he’s an ‘elite goal scoring prospect’ given where he’s at in his draft +3 and believe that team should be reserved for, like, Michkov or a young Boeser or whatever. JL is clearly nowhere near that level.
100%.

He's not a nothing prospect. He's not written-off. But he is far from an elite prospect, and no one should have considered him one.

I would be using him as trade bait to upgrade this season.

Reactions: bandwagonesque

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Me: if Lekk kills it then he is pretty much untouchable
You: if my grandma has wheels bla bla bla
Me: why would you say him killing it is almost impossible
MS: nobody is claiming that we should write him off

What the f*** are we doing here.
Saying a prospect is unlikely to dominate is not to say you've written them off. You're getting angry because you don't understand the agreed-upon meanings of the concepts you're using in your own argument. I don't know what else to say.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
100%.

He's not a nothing prospect. He's not written-off. But he is far from an elite prospect, and no one should have considered him one.

As a 19 year old last season, Lekkermaki led his team in scoring, and was 6th in the league in goal scoring. He scored 16.5% of his teams goals on a low scoring Orebro team. By that measure, he was the best goal scorer in the league. His season in the SHL is suggestive of an elite or near elite prospect, as very few 19 year olds have accomplished what he did in the SHL. He certainly is not far from elite. I would put him in the same class as Boeser.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
As a 19 year old last season, Lekkermaki led his team in scoring, and was 6th in the league in goal scoring. He scored 16.5% of his teams goals on a low scoring Orebro team. By that measure, he was the best goal scorer in the league. His season in the SHL is suggestive of an elite or near elite prospect, as very few 19 year olds have accomplished what he did in the SHL. He certainly is not far from elite. I would put him in the same class as Boeser.

Boeser d+3 - NHL 62gp 29g 26a 55pt

Lekkerimaki d+3 - AHL 2gp 1a 1pt

I'm not writing off Lekkerimaki but Boeser was a very special young player that was able to break through to the NHL and surpass the AHL. They are a difficult comparison unless all you're saying is that they are both snipers.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Boeser d+3 - NHL 62gp 29g 26a 55pt

Lekkerimaki d+3 - AHL 2gp 1a 1pt

I'm not writing off Lekkerimaki but Boeser was a very special young player that was able to break through to the NHL and surpass the AHL. They are a difficult comparison unless all you're saying is that they are both snipers.

Boeser as a 19 year old scored 16 goals in 32 games for North Dakota vs what Lekk did as a 19 year old in a much harder league. Lekk's accomplishments as a 19 year old probly surpass Boeser's. So far this year Lekk has only played 2 games, so we can't compare this year yet.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Boeser as a 19 year old scored 16 goals in 32 games for North Dakota vs what Lekk did as a 19 year old in a much harder league. Lekk's accomplishments as a 19 year old probly surpass Boeser's. So far this year Lekk has only played 2 games, so we can't compare this year yet.
Boeser's in his D+1 he was the best player on the best team in the NCAA, his D+2 was a bit weaker (and injury riddled iirc) but he still joined the Canucks and got 4 goals in 9 games at the end of the year. Lekkerimaki clearly isn't going to score 30 goals and have as good of a +3 as Boeser.

Boeser's +1 is far ahead of what Lekkerimaki has ever done.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
100%.

He's a 'nothing prospect'

f***ing rich.

Boeser's in his D+1 he was the best player on the best team in the NCAA, his D+2 was a bit weaker (and injury riddled iirc) but he still joined the Canucks and got 4 goals in 9 games at the end of the year. Lekkerimaki clearly isn't going to score 30 goals and have as good of a +3 as Boeser.

Boeser's +1 is far ahead of what Lekkerimaki has ever done.
Lek wasn't hurt at all in his D + 1 season. Nope. Not at all.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I'm convinced the time to trade Lekkerimaki was last summer. I don't think his trade value will ever be higher.
This is as cunning of a comment from a poster on here that says Wilander tops out as a 2nd pairing D. So many scouts to draw information from. Between the "OBC" bullshit and the ' I got this prospect dead to right'.... 'I know because I watched some highlights'...... 'the scouts are stupid'.....

The kid is 20 for Christ sakes.

Wilander is 19. To write them off as shitty prospects is hilarious. Most of the people bumping their gums about these kids have watched very little of them playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad