Todd McLellan - Opinions so far

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Jones isn't stealing it. Sharks core is mounting more offense and their star players are getting better chances and winning the head to head matchups.

Because The Sharks new schemes have puzzled the Kings who are not knowing how to break out or counter when their opponent is doing that. Kings are getting very little chances off the rush in this series.

Also, the Sharks vastly improved transition game is exposing the Kings D and is much more dangerous than how the Sharks typically dumped puck in in the past. Especially on the PP the Sharks are dangerous.

Defences of McLellan fail to realize that dumping the puck in is not a very successful approach and is not going to result in the most GF. With a talented team, whether that be in SJ, or here, carrying the puck in should be seen as a virtue. In SJ McLellan learned to be reliant on the dump in as it was a way for the team to work on ensuring they got the puck deep. Because at that time Sharks wree not playing solid two way hockey. Now Deboer has the Sharks properly recognizing when to attack, and when to fall back and its giving the Kings fits.
Mclellens Sharks had a better Kings team in a worse situation than this. He also got them to the 3rd round twice. We'll see what Deboer can accomplish. Be careful jumping onto the Sharks train. My best buddies a sharks fan and I've seen this movie for the past 12 years. Until proven otherwise the core of the Sharks are mentally fragile and unable to overcome adversity in the playoffs. Maybe this will be the year. Never heard that one before.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think Jones is the difference. Never in the past, even when we beat them in 2006 did you feel like they had a goalie capable of stealing a series if need be.
Nabakov was regarded as one of the best goalies in the NHL and did steal them some series over the years.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Last night Quick is the Quick that came back a couple years ago against TM and the Sharks.

Quick plays like that the rest of the playoffs the Kings will win the cup. Book it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Last night Quick is the Quick that came back a couple years ago against TM and the Sharks.

Quick plays like that the rest of the playoffs the Kings will win the cup. Book it.

Quick is sometimes a spazz, though. He's like Ranford with better technical ability. Sometimes that flashy style leads him to way overcommit, but it lets him make some saves he has zero business making.

That said LA was clearly the 2nd best team on the ice. I like San Jose's chances.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What debacle? Everything's fine.:sarcasm:

Thanks for bumping the thread. Interesting how as soon as McLellan/Woodcroft are gone the Sharks PP looks lethal all series against the Kings and results in the Sharks biggest playoff series win in history. They have never beat a team of this caliber before.
Frankly the Sharks have never looked better, as I had been saying throughout the series.
I wonder at what point people will admit Deboers is a better coach. Interesting as well that Deboers coached the Devils, with not even a third of the talent of the SJ Sharks to the SC final. Its been interesting to see what a solid system play coach can actually do with the SJ Sharks.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Mclellens Sharks had a better Kings team in a worse situation than this. He also got them to the 3rd round twice. We'll see what Deboer can accomplish. Be careful jumping onto the Sharks train. My best buddies a sharks fan and I've seen this movie for the past 12 years. Until proven otherwise the core of the Sharks are mentally fragile and unable to overcome adversity in the playoffs. Maybe this will be the year. Never heard that one before.

Like I said throughout this time was different and the Kings weren't going to be coming back against a Sharks team playing this well and with such obvious team play instilled. This is every Shark buying in and rowing hard at a 200ft game. Have we EVER seen that before in SJ?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Thanks for bumping the thread. Interesting how as soon as McLellan/Woodcroft are gone the Sharks PP looks lethal all series against the Kings and results in the Sharks biggest playoff series win in history. They have never beat a team of this caliber before.
Frankly the Sharks have never looked better, as I had been saying throughout the series.
I wonder at what point people will admit Deboers is a better coach. Interesting as well that Deboers coached the Devils, with not even a third of the talent of the SJ Sharks to the SC final. Its been interesting to see what a solid system play coach can actually do with the SJ Sharks.

let's maybe wait until Deboers wins more than one round before anointing him the Jack Adams

Sharks were highly motivated to beat Kings due to the melt down of 2014...we will see if they can get up against a better Ducks teams (Ducks will beat the Preds)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
let's maybe wait until Deboers wins more than one round before anointing him the Jack Adams

Sharks were highly motivated to beat Kings due to the melt down of 2014...we will see if they can get up against a better Ducks teams (Ducks will beat the Preds)

You haven't been reading the thread have you?

Hey, in 2012 it took me two games before I realized the Kings were going to be making a run for the cup. One could see it in how much belief was on the bench, in the play, and how much the players were buying in.

Sharks can make a serious run here and will win next round against anybody but Ducks which would be the only tough match for them. Sharks would even beat the Hawks at this point.

People were strangely saying hey, wait, its only been 2 games, 3 games, wait to see if the Sharks finish off the Kings. Well they've done that and not a peep from the crew trying to understate the massive improvement notable in the SHarks postseason play and preparation. When last seen under McLellan a Sharks team had just lost their last 4 games in a row against the kings. Now they beat the Kings in 4/5 games to knock them out. In a year where the Kings were actually showing promise.

duul

Jun 21, 2010

You know this current SJ lineup is far deeper at every position than it has been since probably ever. Look at the additions they made last year and this offseason. They're incredibly deep at all positions. Jones, Martin, Dillon, Ward, Donskoi...the list goes on. McLellan's teams were very top heavy and lacked defensive depth. They also rode Niemi who always seemed to falter. McLellan made a good roster very competitive. DeBour has made a stacked roster into a contender. I know you're trying to make a point but don't blatantly disregard the huge differences in rosters between this year and the past. San Jose was one of the more successful teams in the league under McLellan. There was nobody in the NHL who could compete with the ridiculous rosters of Chicago and L.A...now they've lost players and have come back down to earth.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You know this current SJ lineup is far deeper at every position than it has been since probably ever. Look at the additions they made last year and this offseason. They're incredibly deep at all positions. Jones, Martin, Dillon, Ward, Donskoi...the list goes on. McLellan's teams were very top heavy and lacked defensive depth. They also rode Niemi who always seemed to falter. McLellan made a good roster very competitive. DeBour has made a stacked roster into a contender. I know you're trying to make a point but don't blatantly disregard the huge differences in rosters between this year and the past. San Jose was one of the more successful teams in the league under McLellan. There was nobody in the NHL who could compete with the ridiculous rosters of Chicago and L.A...now they've lost players and have come back down to earth.

lol that somebody with a Woodcrap avatar is defending the current realm. The Sharks had good players before. These are simply new names and additions. Lets not forget that all of the Sharks core is now older and with a few of the key players now not even being in prime. How absolutely dominant would or should Jumbo have been when he actually was in prime? Deboer is taking several players well past the best before date and having them somehow play their best 200ft hockey ever. He's convinced a player like Marleau to make sacrifices and play on a third line to help the team. Marleau had rarely been that degree of team player before. Thornton had never been this good an all round player.

SJ has never played a system game this well. Not even close to it.

Add that their PP is absolutely lethal under current coaching.

Finally, in 2014 the Sharks had a BETTER D corps than now with Burns, Stuart, Hannah, Vlasic, Boyle, Braun, Demers, Irwin. In that bunch I see 5 D that can eat minutes and what was a pretty underrated D.

Last edited:

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
What's scary is this team if it didn't have McDavid, it would of been rivaling an Eakins season. I'm honestly interested to see if McLellan can adapt and change things and not be ridged as some say.

No PP what so ever.

The wrong Todd from Saskatchewan is coaching this club as far as I am concerned, until I see PP improvements.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
What's scary is this team if it didn't have McDavid, it would of been rivaling an Eakins season. I'm honestly interested to see if McLellan can adapt and change things and not be ridged as some say.

No PP what so ever.

The wrong Todd from Saskatchewan is coaching this club as far as I am concerned, until I see PP improvements.

Our problem wasn't coaching this year. It was with those that wear the actual jersey.

You'll see.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Our problem wasn't coaching this year. It was with those that wear the actual jersey.

You'll see.

I'm sure McLellan and Woodcroft will both be here next season so we will see.

It's on Chiarelli now to switch up the personnel and then we will see for sure if you are right or not.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Wasn't impressed but I'm not calling for his head either. He better have this team competing for a playoff spot in late March if he wants to prove his worth.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Wasn't impressed but I'm not calling for his head either. He better have this team competing for a playoff spot in late March if he wants to prove his worth.

Scotty Bowman couldn't even get this sad sack group of losers to the playoffs.

Let Chiarelli have full reign over the roster this summer and this team will be better.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
man, if we could just find the right coach. All a problems would disappear; the PP and PK would be top notch, the Dcorp would account for a third of team points, and.. about all.. Yak would be the superstar I soooooo dearly want him to be.

... if only.....

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
man, if we could just find the right coach. All a problems would disappear; the PP and PK would be top notch, the Dcorp would account for a third of team points, and.. about all.. Yak would be the superstar I soooooo dearly want him to be.

... if only.....

Takes more than a coach.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Takes more than a coach.

I think you missed the sarcasm, look at all the coaches we've ran through its definetly not the coaching. With that said both Nelson and Kruger, two coaches that came within the system and were let go unwarranted, to me faired the best with what they had here. Jury is still out on mclellan he was new and injury riddled this year next year a healthy hopefully more stable team should help

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
The other critical point in this discussion is that just because a coach has been fired from an unsuccessful tenure, that doesn't mean that his new team is automatically doomed while the old team is guaranteed to have more success.

Based on that logic, the Colorado Avalanche should have become instant contenders after firing Joel Quenneville, while the Hawks shouldn't have three cups in six years.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The other critical point in this discussion is that just because a coach has been fired from an unsuccessful tenure, that doesn't mean that his new team is automatically doomed while the old team is guaranteed to have more success.

Based on that logic, the Colorado Avalanche should have become instant contenders after firing Joel Quenneville, while the Hawks shouldn't have three cups in six years.

Further to your point. Only once in the last decade has the Cup been won by a coach with his first NHL team has head coach.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I think you missed the sarcasm, look at all the coaches we've ran through its definetly not the coaching. With that said both Nelson and Kruger, two coaches that came within the system and were let go unwarranted, to me faired the best with what they had here. Jury is still out on mclellan he was new and injury riddled this year next year a healthy hopefully more stable team should help

I don't really understand the thought "look how many coaches, it's not them".

First of all, great coaches don't grow on trees.

Secondly, the inept management that preceded Chia had 0 clue on spotting talent. They let go 3ish that had moderate success with terrible rosters.

So yes it could be coaching all over again. Obviously we need to see next season. All I'm saying is the # of coaches is irrelevant to whether or not they were quality.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
How does anyone expect our PP to be any good when we have ZERO threat from the point and ZERO net presence. Until we get those 2 things our PP will always be in the bottom half of the league, even with Mcdavid on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad