Todd McLellan - Opinions so far

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
I'm a little scared scared Burns, Thornton, Vlasic all had their best season in recent years under Deboer.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm a little scared scared Burns, Thornton, Vlasic all had their best season in recent years under Deboer.

Yep, Plus Thornton is possessed in his own zone. He's now playing a 100% complete game and owning all over the ice.

Marleau as mentioned has agreed to help the team by playing 3rd line center.

There is huge buy in happening right now under Deboers. The most ever seen from that club in the playoffs.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yep, Plus Thornton is possessed in his own zone. He's now playing a 100% complete game and owning all over the ice.

There is huge buy in happening right now under Deboers. The most ever seen from that club in the playoffs.

The same thing could have been said two years ago when they were up 3-0 on the Kings.......

To take a two game sample size of really good Sharks play as some kind of indicator of McLellans inadequacy is ridiculous. Not a week ago the Sharks were playing garbage hockey and getting rolled at home by the likes of the Oilers and Canadiens.

The Sharks played great hockey in the first two games and the Kings didn't, but let's hold on until at least game 3 and beyond before waxing poetic about this team.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016

I'm just concerned about McLellan's stupid place and chase hockey when they have so much skill to carry it in up front.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
The same thing could have been said two years ago when they were up 3-0 on the Kings.......

To take a two game sample size of really good Sharks play as some kind of indicator of McLellans inadequacy is ridiculous. Not a week ago the Sharks were playing garbage hockey and getting rolled at home by the likes of the Oilers and Canadiens.

The Sharks played great hockey in the first two games and the Kings didn't, but let's hold on until at least game 3 and beyond before waxing poetic about this team.

I agree. Replacement you're talking like you have an agenda on McClellan. It's too early for you to **** on McClellan and praise the sharks, they've accomplished nothing yet

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Deboer has the Sharks fully committed and playing the best Sharks hockey I've ever seen. With a look of increasing confidence behind the bench and everybody rowing.

A PP that looks just ****ing lethal

Marleau totally buying in and agreeing to make sacrifice and play 3rd line center.

Thornton playing his best 200ft game and leaving it all over the ice.

This Sharks performance is impacting, further, what I think about McLellan.

What I think about McLellan is he sure ain't special.

They have a better roster. Ward and Martin has been big pick ups, their bottom 6 is deeper than it has been in past years and Jones is an excellent young goalie.
It's a team that was basically top 6, top pairing and little else in past years. I predicted in the preseason predictions that the Sharks were being vastly underrated and that they were capable of making serious noise this season.

This isn't the first time the Sharks have taken it to the Kings so it's not like they were some doormat for the Kings in past years. It's a deeper, veteran team that is getting the edge in a series that has always been a very tight one. These L.A./San Jose matchups have always been toss ups.

Mclellan is a very good coach whether you like to believe it or not. You can tell in his pressers that he knows exactly what ails this team and what they need to do to improve on that. I don't think I've disagreed once with his team assessments, he just looks like a guy who knows what he's doing and the frustration stems from some of the players simply not executing his message, not much he can do about that.

I think we've clearly seen improved structure and a more consistent compete level. The next step learning how to close out games. They were so close so many times but just couldn't close the deal. That's a function of limited personnel and the existing personnel being too young in key spots but overall, I don't think anybody who watched this team regularly can come away thinking that this team isn't much improved especially in 5 on 5 play.

As for your Nuge comments, I find it quite odd that you continue to pick apart every part of his game yet were adamant in your defense of the much inferior Sam Gagner and continue to be.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Mclellan is a very good coach whether you like to believe it or not. You can tell in his pressers that he knows exactly what ails this team and what they need to do to improve on that. I don't think I've disagreed once with his team assessments, he just looks like a guy who knows what he's doing and the frustration stems from some of the players simply not executing his message, not much he can do about that.

I think we've clearly seen improved structure and a more consistent compete level. The next step learning how to close out games. They were so close so many times but just couldn't close the deal. That's a function of limited personnel and the existing personnel being too young in key spots but overall, I don't think anybody who watched this team regularly can come away thinking that this team isn't much improved especially in 5 on 5 play.

The improvement from Eakins to McLellan was day and night. Anyone arguing against him as a coach at this point is just trying to pick a fight.

Yes, the team definitely needs to find a way to close games. A minute eating #1D will go a long way towards helping that.

This team is headed in the right direction, thread highjacks be damned.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
They have a better roster. Ward and Martin has been big pick ups, their bottom 6 is deeper than it has been in past years and Jones is an excellent young goalie.
It's a team that was basically top 6, top pairing and little else in past years. I predicted in the preseason predictions that the Sharks were being vastly underrated and that they were capable of making serious noise this season.

This isn't the first time the Sharks have taken it to the Kings so it's not like they were some doormat for the Kings in past years. It's a deeper, veteran team that is getting the edge in a series that has always been a very tight one. These L.A./San Jose matchups have always been toss ups.

As for your Nuge comments, I find it quite odd that you continue to pick apart every part of his game yet were adamant in your defense of the much inferior Sam Gagner and continue to be.

Forget Gagner, what about Yakupov?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Forget Gagner, what about Yakupov?

I used Gagner as an example because of the similarities in the arguments about the two. Too small and weak for the west to excel as a top 6 center, give him some more time because he's still young etc. yet Replacement was defending Gagner to the high heavens for years despite him not being near the player Nuge is. I find it odd that he criticizes Nuge for the same things that he used in defense of Gagner.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I used Gagner as an example because of the similarities in the arguments about the two. Too small and weak for the west to excel as a top 6 center, give him some more time because he's still young etc. yet Replacement was defending Gagner to the high heavens for years despite him not being near the player Nuge is. I find it odd that he criticizes Nuge for the same things that he used in defense of Gagner.

Odd? To me the stranger thing is the expectation of consistency.

If the main point is to start arguments then there will naturally be inconsistencies.

As to this specific case, Nuge is getting stronger and has noticeably done so the last couple seasons. If the trend continues I believe a lot of people who haven't specifically been watching for it will be shocked at how big he gets 'this off-season'.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Odd? To me the stranger thing is the expectation of consistency.

If the main point is to start arguments then there will naturally be inconsistencies.

As to this specific case, Nuge is getting stronger and has noticeably done so the last couple seasons. If the trend continues I believe a lot of people who haven't specifically been watching for it will be shocked at how big he gets 'this off-season'.

I could see the argument that he still struggles with physical matchups. He still looks overwhelmed at times against the bigger centers of the west and isn't quick enough to blow by so I don't disagree with those who argue that point but my problem is criticizing Nuge for being physically overwhelmed yet defend Gagner in the same breath.

With that said, I like Nuge and see room for growth in his game. I think key for him is to distance himself from these nagging injuries because they are stunting his development. I do think he has gotten somewhat stronger the last few seasons but he's not playing with the same vigor that he used to play with because he always seems to be playing injured. Him being healthy is the biggest key then the improvements will follow. I think Chia prefers a bigger, stronger 3C so I think some other team will reap the benefits of those improvements as I don't see Nuge as a solution on the wing.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
I give him a B+ and have zero issues with him coaching the team for the next several years.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I could see the argument that he still struggles with physical matchups. He still looks overwhelmed at times against the bigger centers of the west and isn't quick enough to blow by so I don't disagree with those who argue that point but my problem is criticizing Nuge for being physically overwhelmed yet defend Gagner in the same breath.

Nuge still does struggle, he is getting better. I like that. He gets that he will have to be physically stronger to take it to the next level and he is working on it.

Confirms my main point that anyone criticizing Nuge and defending Gagner is only doing so to pick a fight. There is no logical consistency there. Nuge is at least working on that part of his game. Never saw Gagner even try to do that.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
When considering the Sharks' play this season keep in mind the psychology of playing for a new coach. Good or bad. You're gonna buy into a new idea if it is better or worse if you have a new leader.

Todd may not have been tuned out but he certainly wasn't getting a 100% dedication from every player anymore.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I throw Eberle under the bus because by and large I find his effort lacking and his two way game nearly nonexistent.
Interesting. The post I quote mentions nothing about effort, and lets be real here, you and I, watching at home, are more than likely to make inaccurate judgments about player's levels of 'effort'. You mentioned back to back fifty point seasons. But somehow you don't like the guy who scores the most goals almost every year.

I honestly place more value on the posts that hate Eberle because he has a gap, or looks like a stoner, than I do on the posters who rattle on about his board work and perceived lack of effort. At least the former are being honest.
So your spitting mad at other posters "throwing players under the bus" cept its fine for you to do that. Double standard confirmed, thanks.
Yeah, its the double standard that kills me. Evaluate players harshly if you must, but don't make excuses for your faves while ripping on other players for the same failings.
Could be worse. Eberle and RNH are good players.

Could be Gagner.
Solid post. :shakehead

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I think Jones is the difference. Never in the past, even when we beat them in 2006 did you feel like they had a goalie capable of stealing a series if need be.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
I think it's fair to question his choices but still be okay with him as the coach for the next few year.

What interests me about Deboer and SJ is I was expecting a complete opposite approach with how boring and defensive NJ was.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
I was so pumped when we got TM. Finally an experienced coach. Overall I do agree that he has done a fantastic job but I do question a few of his decisions.

1. After scoring a goal, he would always put out the fourth Line.
2. His love for Toby Peterson, I mean Iro.
3. He didn't seem to match lines at home as much as he could.
4. Letting that other guy coach the powerplay even though he was awful.

Solid B rating from me.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Frankly you're more intelligent than this. Ever since Nuge arrived he was getting the best linemates with Hall and Eberle while Gagner had to work with whatever left over plugs a terrible team had. Still, on 2nd unit PP with nothing near what Nuge had to work with Gagner was comparable. in EV pts/60mins also comparable. Despite getting vastly inferior linemates.

You might notice a pattern that I defend players who I feel are getting the short straw here. For instance Yakupov. I have far less patience for players that get the best linemates this org has consistently and put up a meager 34pts. A total Gagner would be vilified for here.

Avenger*

I'm just concerned about McLellan's stupid place and chase hockey when they have so much skill to carry it in up front.

I think the reason they are instructed to dump it is because we currently only have two d-men capable of carrying the puck. Three if you stretch it.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
4. Letting that other guy coach the powerplay even though he was awful.

That's a great comment. If Woodcroft is still around next season then some doubt about McLellan creeps in *unless* the pp is going gangbusters right off the hop.

With that said, I like Nuge and see room for growth in his game. I think key for him is to distance himself from these nagging injuries because they are stunting his development. I do think he has gotten somewhat stronger the last few seasons but he's not playing with the same vigor that he used to play with because he always seems to be playing injured. Him being healthy is the biggest key then the improvements will follow. I think Chia prefers a bigger, stronger 3C so I think some other team will reap the benefits of those improvements as I don't see Nuge as a solution on the wing.

That's a very intelligent comment. Don't let anyone question your smarts. :laugh:

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Nuge absolutely is not a solution on the wing. And I much prefer my shiny new toy Draisaitl as the 2C given his body type, and being a natural centre himself. Kinda leaves Nuge between a rock and a hard place, cuz I don't like the idea of a your 3rd line C making 6 million, but the bloggers online sure seem to love this guy and say he's one of the best in the league given the analytics. So I really don't know.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think Jones is the difference. Never in the past, even when we beat them in 2006 did you feel like they had a goalie capable of stealing a series if need be.

Jones isn't stealing it. Sharks core is mounting more offense and their star players are getting better chances and winning the head to head matchups.

Because The Sharks new schemes have puzzled the Kings who are not knowing how to break out or counter when their opponent is doing that. Kings are getting very little chances off the rush in this series.

Also, the Sharks vastly improved transition game is exposing the Kings D and is much more dangerous than how the Sharks typically dumped puck in in the past. Especially on the PP the Sharks are dangerous.

Defences of McLellan fail to realize that dumping the puck in is not a very successful approach and is not going to result in the most GF. With a talented team, whether that be in SJ, or here, carrying the puck in should be seen as a virtue. In SJ McLellan learned to be reliant on the dump in as it was a way for the team to work on ensuring they got the puck deep. Because at that time Sharks wree not playing solid two way hockey. Now Deboer has the Sharks properly recognizing when to attack, and when to fall back and its giving the Kings fits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad