Prospect Info: Timothy Liljegren

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Liljegren has suspect IQ at times, he must prove he can make good, fast decisions in the NHL or he will be Connor Carrick 2.0. A good skating d-man with brutal decisions making, reads etc .

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Liljegren has suspect IQ at times, he must prove he can make good, fast decisions in the NHL or he will be Connor Carrick 2.0. A good skating d-man with brutal decisions making, reads etc .
He’s creative, and learning the hard way what he can get away with. His decision making has improved a bunch since we drafted him. So maybe he’s learning the right way. It’s to the point where I’d say that now his creativity shows high IQ.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Have you watched him at all this year? He's basically the reverse Connor Carrick.

Carrick was all offense and puck movement but made horrible decisions with the puck.

Liljegren is great defensively and almost always makes the right play/reads. He's a premium top pair d-man in the AHL. There was one play in game 3 that really impressed me. He broke up a 2 on 1 by blocking a pass, held back the 6'4" attacker from getting to the puck, and made a nice backhanded outlet pass under pressure.

He's played very little on the powerplay so his offense hasn't really been given the opportunity to take off, but he is definitely way better defensively than Carrick.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Subconscious brain gets all the training in practice, builds muscle memory under low pressure. High pressure, you switch to conscious brain and suddenly forget how do a pivot the other side of your brain has practiced 100,000 times.

"Clutch" players are just better at staying loose and out of their own head in high pressure moments, they ride muscle memory. Andersen seems like a really introverted guy, I wouldn't be surprised if the bright lights knock him out of his groove more than most. Especially game 7s against a team that has your number where you choked last year.
I really like how you explained this.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
The kid deserves a thread. He has been absolutely tremendous in the playoffs, and frankly since the 2nd half began. He isn’t putting up a lot of points, but his overall game has improved so much. He is playing extremely tough minutes, and is excelling. Sandin is getting the hype as he should, but Lilly has outplayed him in the playoffs. It wouldn’t be a stretch to say Lilly has been the best player for the Marlies, when not talking about Kask.

CF%: 65.2(1st)
OZ%: 51.9(2nd lowest)

Sheldon Keefe has had great things to say about him, and how far he has come defensively. Here is what he said on Overdrive “while he doesn’t have the statistical piece, he has taken such a large step in his ability to defend. His ability to take on big minutes. Play against the other teams best players, and he’s played on our top pair this year through the playoffs in very difficult matchups, and has handled it extremely well.

Has this just come on recently?
“Absolutely, LIljegren didn’t have a great start to the year, and he had his own injury problems. The high ankle sprain really set him back a number of weeks. Through that time, I’m not sure if it was the additional time in the gym, or the time with the skilled coaches, or just the time away from the daily grind in the daily schedule, when he came back from that injury, he had gotten better every time out. I think he’s playing his best hockey for us right now. That really helped us turn the corner. It was like adding a defenceman to our lineup that was really able to take on these minutes. We were giving him these minutes early in the season, but it wasn’t going as well, and it was hurting our team, but he has really stabilized his game, and taken very big steps, and our team has benefited from it.

Quotes are slightly out of context, and to say Liljegren had a great “second half” is misleading.

Liljegren had a poor first 5 games of the season. That was the “poor start” that Keefe was referring to. He was coughing up the puck a bit, and only had 1 point in the first 5 games.

Then he settled in and put up 7 points in the next 13 games. This was the best version of Liljegren we saw this entire regular season. This was right before his two ankle injuries. He would have been tremendous at the WJC, if not for the ankle injury.

The second half started out badly for Timothy. He was a step slower after the injury and put up 0 points in 10 straight games.

The positives are that he did focus more on defence and his game rounded out nicely. Also, little by little his speed is coming back. He’s now almost as fast as before the injury. After the summer I think he’ll truly be back to 100%, but he’s already close enough.

While the best regular season Liljegren we saw was the November version, I do agree that since the second round of the playoffs, we have seen the best version of him this year. His defence is better than at the start of the year, and he’s finally starting to play with the same confidence offensively that he had going on in November, after a dismal February/March.

Will be interesting to see how he and the entire team fare against what I believe is the best defensive team in the AHL.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think some of the draft day critics on these boards that said he was a low IQ, one end of the ice player (and haven't watched him play since) are going to be quite surprised at the player when he plays his first NHL game. With the development of a solid defensive game, the way he drives possession and more to give still offensively, we could quite a well rounded player.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Is there another team with a better U21 LHD and RHD combo than Sandin-Liljegren?

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Subconscious brain gets all the training in practice, builds muscle memory under low pressure. High pressure, you switch to conscious brain and suddenly forget how do a pivot the other side of your brain has practiced 100,000 times.

"Clutch" players are just better at staying loose and out of their own head in high pressure moments, they ride muscle memory. Andersen seems like a really introverted guy, I wouldn't be surprised if the bright lights knock him out of his groove more than most. Especially game 7s against a team that has your number where you choked last year.

He is 0-4 in game 7's for 2 different teams...that is not a fluke. If you look at Martin Jones...he had a horrible reg season but just flipped the switch after a couple of rough games to start the playoffs. Wish Fred could do that...but I doubt he ever will.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I like Z with muzzin and I think Lily should play with Rosen, or borgman or hainsey if he comes back.

Well Z actually plays like an NHL level defenseman with Muzzin.... it would be 10x better if we could get rid of him, but at least we finally found someone that can babysit and make up for his awfulness.

I'd really like to see Muzzin with either Rielly or Liljegren next season. Something like this would be perfect for me

Muzzin-Rielly
Dermott-x
Rosen-Liljegren

Or

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Liljegren
Rosen-x

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Is there another team with a better U21 LHD and RHD combo than Sandin-Liljegren?

I think there's only one RHD prospect you can definitively say is better than Liljegren today, and thats Cale Makar. There are some very close that have arguments: Adam Boqvist, Noah Dobson, Evan Bouchard, Conor Timmins (when healthy), Adam Fox, Josh Brook, Calen Addison but other than Boqvist I personally don't find the rest of them close enough to even think about.

As for LHD, Sandin has been amazing this season but I still like the potential of Erik Brannstrom, Ty Smith, Quinn Hughes, and Bowen Byram more rather easily. But, i do believe if he takes another step next season, he's right with them.

So to answer your question, nobody does. But when one of Chicago or Colorado take Byram to add to Jokiharju/Boqvist or Makar/Timmins, they definitely do.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
He’s creative, and learning the hard way what he can get away with. His decision making has improved a bunch since we drafted him. So maybe he’s learning the right way. It’s to the point where I’d say that now his creativity shows high IQ.
he has to be 1 of the best 19 yr olds in. the world IMO

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I think there's only one RHD prospect you can definitively say is better than Liljegren today, and thats Cale Makar. There are some very close that have arguments: Adam Boqvist, Noah Dobson, Evan Bouchard, Conor Timmins (when healthy), Adam Fox, Josh Brook, Calen Addison but other than Boqvist I personally don't find the rest of them close enough to even think about.

As for LHD, Sandin has been amazing this season but I still like the potential of Erik Brannstrom, Ty Smith, Quinn Hughes, and Bowen Byram more rather easily. But, i do believe if he takes another step next season, he's right with them.

So to answer your question, nobody does. But when one of Chicago or Colorado take Byram to add to Jokiharju/Boqvist or Makar/Timmins, they definitely do.

What about Cal Foote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad