Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Not overly surprised they didn't sell out. They hardly sold out early last year and the home opener didn't sell out either. Was it not Thanksgiving in Edmonton last night :dunno:.
IMO the price of everything, garbage downtown, and overall cheaper & arguable better bang-for-your buck alternatives is what the Jets sales is up against.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I never really buy the "garbage downtown" as some major reason for the decline in jets ticket sales. It's well down the list.
The bottom line is that TNSE is going to have to get off their asses and hustle for ticket sales. They can't sit on their laurels and just put up the "NHL Hockey" shutter and expect regular season sell-outs anymore. Those days are long gone - and probably needlessly since they could've milked it forever if they weren't so terminally tone-deaf.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
The bottom line is that TNSE is going to have to get off their asses and hustle for ticket sales. They can't sit on their laurels and just put up the "NHL Hockey" shutter and expect regular season sell-outs anymore. Those days are long gone - and probably needlessly since they could've milked it forever if they weren't so terminally tone-deaf.
I think they are hustling for sales.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think they are hustling for sales.
I mean relative to their marketing plan of doing absolutely nothing from 1996-2021, sure.

Winnipeg was such an easy market from the time they brought in the Moose until the wheels started coming off a few years ago, they've just got no marketing sense. The marketing cupboards are bare! :laugh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I never really buy the "garbage downtown" as some major reason for the decline in jets ticket sales. It's well down the list.
I think one of the problems is we have so few people who actually live downtown and very few wealthy individuals. Going to a Jets game for most people isn't a a spur of the moment sort of thing where you can walk a block or 2 and go to the game at the last minute. It takes a plan and a willingness to travel from the suburbs, deal with parking and weather. Most people won't do this at the last minute even with free tickets.

wpg1

Oct 7, 2024
Feel like TNSE needs to capture some of the lighting that the bombers have. Where people who are looking for a night out will happily spend the $40 just to get into a bomber game. The game is almost a bonus; however, the stadium is treated as an event. I'm positive there are higher ups that do not want the "Mickey mouse" antics, but I think with all the new changes (Mach 10 band, giant sing along, and win the seat upgrade) they are dipping their toes in that water.

I understand the differences with the concourse of IG field. Why not have the sections and seats in the upper bowl that don't sell regularly be the "Party zone" get the fan camera to focus in that area a little more, bring in the beer vendors that walk up and down the stairs, have one of the corner bars dedicated to the rowdier crowd, start the chants etc.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Jets season tickets sales have gone up 500 to give them 10k for the season. Article is on CBC online if you want to read more

According to the story: "During the 2023-24 season, the Jets sold an average of 13,490 tickets per game, according to hockeyDB.com. That worked out to 1,831 empty seats at Canada Life Centre, the second-smallest arena in the NHL."

It's an interesting situation because there is no question that the interest is there. This is not an apathetic market when it comes to the NHL by any means. I'd bet my bottom dollar that this is purely an issue of cost. Obviously there are many exceptions on an individual level, but on the whole people don't have the same level of disposable income as they did 10-12 years ago. Combine that with ticket price increases, and it's easy to see why some seats aren't moving the way they used to.

I really do think the way forward is with mini-packs. For most people, 6, 8 or 10 grand for a pair of seasons tickets year after year is a big ask. Unless you are one of the fortunate very high earners, have a business or whatever, you have to stop and really think about spending that much money. But if you get people to sign up for a 10 game package, it's much easier to swallow. It takes effort to sell all of those, but it's probably more sustainable in the long run at those price points.

On a related note, my Bomber season tickets are about 1 thousand a pop and to me it's a no-brainer, it's so enjoyable that I don't even really think about it before hitting renew. I got a good discount on my Grey Cup tickets next year by committing for three years as a STH. Easy decision. That's a good example of how the Bombers use a carrot rather than a stick.

AtomicJets

Dec 20, 2014
Game 1 sold 1154 more tickets than last year, Game 2 sold 1690 more tickets than last year. With the news that season ticket sales are up 500, it sounds like the attendance is bouncing back but still has more work to do to retain and gain another 500+ season ticket holders next season and eventually return to sellouts every night. Winning some rounds in the playoffs would help with that.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
To be fair to the Jets I've been getting calls from their sales department at least once a month. Unfortunately a ticket package isn't in the budget at the moment (I have Bomber seasons and will go to games when I can) but at least they're trying.

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
To be fair to the Jets I've been getting calls from their sales department at least once a month. Unfortunately a ticket package isn't in the budget at the moment (I have Bomber seasons and will go to games when I can) but at least they're trying.
I'm not a smoker but my son is. He says he's never going back to a Jets game because of the no re-entry policy. Believe me I got into it with him but there was no reasoning about it. I am sure there were lots of smokers who bailed on tickets when this policy was introduced. If I re-call TNSE called it a security issue?

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
I'm not a smoker but my son is. He says he's never going back to a Jets game because of the no re-entry policy. Believe me I got into it with him but there was no reasoning about it. I am sure there were lots of smokers who bailed on tickets when this policy was introduced. If I re-call TNSE called it a security issue?
I think it was more of an issue of people leaving, heading to the Tavern United right next door. Walk in that door - a huge beer tub of cold beers for $5 awaited our entry. My brother and I (when I used to goto games prior to 2020) would go crush two and be back in our seats before puck drop for the new period. True North didn't like us not paying for their $10 (or whatever they cost now) beers.

But sure, security is a good excuse to further maximize their concession profits.

Reactions: Buffdog

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
I can see where he's coming from, I used to smoke, vape now, so I usually have to get some type of nicotine for a 3 hr game which sucks.

the shark club/tavern thing at intermission was also nice but not a deal breaker.

Right now it's a monetary thing holding me back for the most part, 30 yrs old with bills and not a ton of extra money to spend.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
No re-entry is an NHL security policy. Nothing TNSE can do about it. I recall we were one of maybe 3 rinks in the league that allowed people to scan out until the league cracked down in around 2015.

(Ball Arena gets around this by having a “smokers corral” with high walls.)

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Ya, I've never had any issues downtown attending a game. I actually think the location is ideal.

I can see where he's coming from, I used to smoke, vape now, so I usually have to get some type of nicotine for a 3 hr game which sucks.

the shark club/tavern thing at intermission was also nice but not a deal breaker.

Right now it's a monetary thing holding me back for the most part, 30 yrs old with bills and not a ton of extra money to spend.
I assume most vapers just vape in the building?

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Ad

Upcoming events

• Kosovo vs Cyprus
    Kosovo vs Cyprus
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $725.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lithuania vs Romania
    Lithuania vs Romania
    Wagers: 3