Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

None

Feb 22, 2012
Too many double negatives, this confused me :laugh:

Are you saying it’s difficult to agree with that assertion? Because I think it’s easy to agree with

I'm agreeing with your assessment that True North are party poopers :laugh:

I don't argue with anyone who finds attending a Jets game dry and corporate nowadays. It hasn't felt like an event in years.

GrassyKnoll

Feb 3, 2015
Full disclosure: I'm considered poor (been on disability for years) and have only been to a half-dozen Jets games since they came back (all free givaways) Anyway, my (sorry, long-winded!) take on the Jets' dwindling attendance:

Back in May of 2011, I remember all the people gathered at The Forks for the big announcement of the NHL's return to Winnipeg, plus the subsequent celebrations at Portage & Main, later that day. A lot of 20-something "bros" there that day, full of energy, passion, and more importantly, disposable income. The speed in which the team sold all those season tickets was impressive, though not unexpected (except maybe by Bettman!:sarcasm:) We seemed to feel that there was no way we'd lose an NHL franchise a 2nd time.

Fast-forward 8-9 years later. Those 20-something bros are now in their 30's. A lot of them presumably are married, and perhaps with kids as well. Games for them were suddenly a lot tougher to go to, especially weekday games, not to mention extra strain on the family budget. I had neighbors who bought a pair of season tickets back in 2011. Both still work, but age, family commitments, and a few health concerns caught up with them. They would ask various friends, neighbors, and co-workers if they'd want to take a few game tickets off their hands, and there were few takers, again, for the same above reasons. My neighbors felt sorry for my poverty-stricken situation and treated me to those above-mentioned games (BTW, those were tickets that he couldn't find buyers for). My neighbor said that the requirement to make a 3-year commitment for season tickets, combined with the Covid after-effects, kinda spooked them to returning and being around big crowds, and they didn't renew.

The loss of so many defencemen in a short time frame (Byfuglien, Trouba, etc) decimated the quality of the on-ice product. Combined with the pandemic, PoMo quitting, the team missing the playoffs that season, the questionable treatment of season ticket holders by True North, this past seasons' playoff collapse vs. Vegas, not to mention the rapidly rising cost of living, etc, etc, all combined for the perfect storm of unsold tickets/season ticket non-renewals that we see nowadays.

I don't know what the solution is. Perhaps (pipe dreams here) True North may have to show signs of contrition, perhaps even an apology to fans for their taking them for granted all these years. Also, maybe (again, dreaming) TNSE could admit that their recent tone deaf effort to beg fans to buy tickets (combined with a thinly-veiled threat of the team leaving for a 2nd time) was a big mistake. And (ridiculous pipe dream) maybe convince Daddy Warbucks Thomson (net worth: $52 Billion) to subsidize a noticeable reduction in season and walk-up ticket prices for a couple of years, just long enough so they can right the ship. In the meantime, all Chipman & Chevy will have to do is put a team on the ice that shows fans that at least they'll work hard and show up to compete every night (plus improve the game day experience), and fans will return in bigger numbers. We're a blue-collar city. We want something of value in return for our hard-earned dollars. We'd like to think that players will at least put the effort in and try their best in order to justify their paychecks that are certainly out of reach for fans like you and me. Whatever the solution, I think if TSNE keeps ignoring the situation, the long term result could be that we'll be saying goodbye to an NHL franchise for a 2nd time, and then the d-bag fans in Toronto and Montreal will NEVER let us forget it. That'd be almost as bad as losing the team.

Just my $0.02 worth

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Fast-forward 8-9 years later. Those 20-something bros are now in their 30's. A lot of them presumably are married, and perhaps with kids as well. Games for them were suddenly a lot tougher to go to, especially weekday games, not to mention extra strain on the family budget. I had neighbors who bought a pair of season tickets back in 2011. Both still work, but age, family commitments, and a few health concerns caught up with them.

Due to the population growth of the Winnipeg metro area (we have added 155,000 people in the last 12 years), there are more 20-somethings in Winnipeg now than there were in 2011.

The loss of so many defencemen in a short time frame (Byfuglien, Trouba, etc) decimated the quality of the on-ice product. Combined with the pandemic, PoMo quitting, the team missing the playoffs that season, the questionable treatment of season ticket holders by True North, this past seasons' playoff collapse vs. Vegas, not to mention the rapidly rising cost of living, etc, etc, all combined for the perfect storm of unsold tickets/season ticket non-renewals that we see nowadays.

Only True North taking the fans for granted, and their questionable treatment of season ticket holders can be blamed. This has nothing to do with the on-ice product, or the departure of Paul Maurice. After a few lean years in terms of prospects, the Jets are retooled with players such as Perfetti, Heinola, Lambert, McGroarty, Lucius, Vilardi, and Kupari.

And (ridiculous pipe dream) maybe convince Daddy Warbucks Thomson (net worth: $52 Billion) to subsidize a noticeable reduction in season and walk-up ticket prices for a couple of years, just long enough so they can right the ship.

Wishful thinking...lol.

In the meantime, all Chipman & Chevy will have to do is put a team on the ice that shows fans that at least they'll work hard and show up to compete every night (plus improve the game day experience), and fans will return in bigger numbers.

This is exactly what the Jets have done for the past several years. They have only missed the playoffs once since 2017-18.

We're a blue-collar city. We want something of value in return for our hard-earned dollars. We'd like to think that players will at least put the effort in and try their best in order to justify their paychecks that are certainly out of reach for fans like you and me.

Sadly, if fans have this attitude, we can pretty much watch the Jets pack their vans to Houston soon enough.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Bomber average ticket price is 132 dollars , Jets 167 dollars. You are going to 9 games with the Bombers and 41 with the Jets. It's not even remotely close to the same thing. Gas to and from, drinks and food 41 times is very expensive as compared to 9 times. You can't compare the 2 .

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
I'm reminded of all the tonedeaf responses that the Jets PR has put out over the years when they've been asked about gameday experience improvements. You'd think they'd have learned not to put their feet in their mouths by now but the marketing drive last year proved they haven't learned a single thing.

Anyone remember in like 2013(?) when Scott Brown, the director of communications was asked about on-ice projection? His blithe response was that the Jets basically didn't need to do anything to keep fans, that the on-ice product was enough. The casual indifference to a suggestion of improving the product should've been appalling to anyone and it was coming from the guy paid to specifically not put his foot in his mouth when representing the team's views.
Yep, they’re getting what they deserve now. Chipman has nobody to blame for this but himself and I don’t feel sorry for him one bit.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I wonder how much Chipman boosted his corporate season ticket base this off season? Wasn't it something like 15% of all season tickets sold?

Meanwhile the Bombers are on the verge of selling out their 4th straight game.
Winnipeg fans for all sports are very fair weather.
Bombers didn’t draw flies for years.
Jets had a few boring years and now the economy for some has made games a luxury purchase.
So the perfect storm.
There are several NFL stadiums playing to less than capacity also.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Winnipeg fans for all sports are very fair weather.
Bombers didn’t draw flies for years.
Jets had a few boring years and now the economy for some has made games a luxury purchase.
So the perfect storm.
There are several NFL stadiums playing to less than capacity also.
This is a lie I wish people will be more honest ones for him about things instead of just trying to win arguments by making sweeping and stupid generalizations

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Asking a city the size ( population ) of Winnipeg to sellout every game was always going to be a long shot. There are teams in the NHL that could lose every game and they would still draw more people than the Jets, just because they have hundreds of thousands and millions more people to draw from. They will always have enough people with enough money who don't care how they spend it.

The fact is:

- there are too many games
- games are too expensive for the average human

And on top of that the cost of food is increasing 7-9% per year. So, if people need to decide to go to a Jets game or eat... I think the choice is easy.

I am a STH and go to the games because I can afford to if I want, but retirement is approaching, and I know for a fact that when I do retire, I will no longer be a STH. This is not Chipman's fault... it's just life circumstances change and I have to do what is best for me and not what's best for a hockey team.

And a side note:

Washington Capitals sellout streak ends at 588 games. This is what happens when your team sucks. And I can't wait to see attendance in Pittsburgh once Crosby retires and the NHL stops gifting Pittsburgh generational talent.

Last edited:

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Thinking this through some more, last season Winnipeg had 6 hockey teams in 5 hockey leagues of varying prominence. The NHL, AHL, WHL, Canada West/U Sports, MJHL (X2). What did all these teams have in common with respect to attendance? Every one of them finished at or near the bottom of the attendance list for their respective league.

Is it possible that we just aren't as passionate about hockey - at least when it comes to buying tickets and attending games - as we like to tell ourselves we are?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm sure you will feel great satisfaction that Chipman feels terrible when he sells the team for $700 million to another city.

Not sure Gary would allow them to be relocated. Way too much money in new Franchises now. If this gets too tough for Mark they would most likely have to sell to someone who would keep the team in Winnipeg. Things were pretty rough in Ottawa attendance wise for a while with a rebuild and a troubled owner and yet they were able to sell the franchise for close to $1 billion. Ottawa is a little bigger than Winnipeg but it is by no means a desirable market image wise either. Its also a government town so their business community is modest by NHL standards.

Professional sport properties as an asset class have seen a huge uptick in the past decade. One of the underlining numbers driving it is the explosion in growth of Billionaires in North America.

I don’t love seeing the empty seats early in the season but nobody who has owned a business said its easy. Mark needs to roll up his sleeves and keep grinding.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Correct we averaged easily 23-24,000 during the lean years Which was pretty darn good.

What is that suppose to mean? They move back to Atlanta?
It’s just an airline advertisement. It’s Acott Billeck being an idiot as us.
Correct we averaged easily 23-24,000 during the lean years Which was pretty darn good.

What is that suppose to mean? They move back to Atlanta?
That’s just an advertisement for an airline. Scott Billeck being an idiot again.

Johnnucleo

Jan 2, 2016
Ostrava
I also wonder if the city wide construction has anything to do with the low attendance to start the year. I mean its a NIGHTMARE coming downtown now. It certainly isn't helping matters.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I was talking to my buddy in the construction industry about this

His company has seats and he said that 10 years ago, it wasn't unusual to see 20 people he knew from the industry in between periods in the concourse, there on their company's tickets. Now he doesn't see anyone.

Maybe the luxury boxes owned by large corporations are still full, but I think a lot of small businesses who owned season tickets have moved on. Part of it may be financial, but I think that part of it is the fact that in 2013, giving a ticket to someone meant something because of the scarcity. Now, as we see, it doesn't mean anything so the cost isn't justifiable

Reactions: Jets 31

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Sharks had a little over 10k last night that's 59% capacity, yes this is something new for Winnipeg but you can't have a winner year after year and the Jets don't have a market like Toronto with over 5m from the GTA to draw from. Most likely this is what attendance will be like during the weekdays and perk up when more popular teams come in with their fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Bomber average ticket price is 132 dollars , Jets 167 dollars. You are going to 9 games with the Bombers and 41 with the Jets. It's not even remotely close to the same thing. Gas to and from, drinks and food 41 times is very expensive as compared to 9 times. You can't compare the 2 .

Seriously, why anyone compares the minor league BB’s and their 9 home games to the major league Jets is a joke!

Winnipeg has grown but if none of you can’t see the change in demographics in this city and a whole lot of people who know nothing about hockey or care little about sports in general, Winnipegs population growth numbers are meaningless.

Bottom line is that Winnipeg no longer has enough people willing to pay NHL prices to fill a 15400 seat arena, add to that an ownership group who took their season ticket holders and fan base for granted for too long!

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Seriously, why anyone compares the minor league BB’s and their 9 home games to the major league Jets is a joke!

Winnipeg has grown but if none of you can’t see the change in demographics in this city and a whole lot of people who know nothing about hockey or care little about sports in general, Winnipegs population numbers are meaningles.

Bottom line is that Winnipeg no longer has enough people willing to pay NHL prices to fill a 15400 seat arena, add to that an ownership group who took their season ticket holders and fan base for granted for too long!
The other big thing is you can sit at home and watch every game. Covid didn't help that's for sure either because i know people that are still very scared of it. I still think we can support a NHL franchise and Chipman finally woke up and started selling smaller game packs which i think will definitely help.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I don't see any imminent threat of relocation, as there are so many alternate sources of revenue now and the Jets owners are well positioned to endure a few seasons of lower attendance.

OTOH, there is no question in my mind that in this small, blue collar market, fans want more than a competitive team from team management---engagement , empathy, a sense that they matter, other than for their ticket and beer money. Wade Miller and Co have put on a clinic in that regard the past number of years. The Jets have sucked at it.

I can afford season tickets but gave my share up this year because I was so busy and it was just too hard to sell them. Hell, I could barely give them away to family. The other, bigger reason, one that I have seen up close, without getting into specifics, is that there is an air of entitlement around the club that I find off-putting. It permeated the locker room for a while, which was probably no accident.

This (low attendance) is not a blip. Management has their work cut out for them and, while an important source of revenue, their corporate friends won't fill the building every night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffdog

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The other big thing is you can sit at home and watch every game. Covid didn't help that's for sure either because i know people that are still very scared of it. I still think we can support a NHL franchise and Chipman finally woke up and started selling smaller game packs which i think will definitely help.
Still scared of Covid which is literally the common cold now? Unless you’re immune compromised or have an end of life health condition there really is nothing to worry about. Had covid, wasn’t really that bad, I’ve been sicker with other things.

Having an arena in downtown Winnipeg that now kinda resembles zombieland doesn’t help either!

Pretty simple economics with the Jets now, supply exceeds demand!

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I wonder how much marketing is done outside of the province. Perhaps they should plan bus trips from North Dakota a few times a year. If they cold get 500 to 1,000 Morth Dakota fans a few weekends a year that may help. Not just there, but Regina and Saskatoon as well.

And as far as comparing the Jets to Bombers, it is definitely apples to oranges. Bombers advantages are:

Cheaper tickets
Only a handful of games per season
Very few games on school or work evenings
Much safer part of town
Much better team

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
don't really partake in this thread however just from my millennial POV (& this coming off a bad loss too).

i usually am an attendee of Fri or Sat night games and parlay that w/ going out with the crew to a club or something after, with a few other games sprinkled here and there through the year depending on desire, schedule, price of ticket etc. fully aware every game will not have the atmosphere or the youths out like a Fri or Sat night game.

however, games like last night were basically the reason why i much prefer watching at home than attending a game live in ridiculously uncomfortable seats (sorry major pet peeve lol).

the tickets last night were for free, essentially handed down 3x over. the atmosphere, & i know a poor Jets game plays into this but even during Ws idk if it's substantially better, was brutal.

imo the value for attending - ticket price + food + drink + transportation there and back + nearly a 4-hour night just isn't there any more. esp. when the alternative is just way better (at home or at a bar,: better seating, better food, & equal to better atmosphere). the upgrades they did in the 100s lounge were really nice though. i saw this posted elsewhere - there's people who don't have the $$$ to go, and for those who do simply do not find the value there.

edit - just to add: this off-season many posters fought tooth and nail for weeks about rebuilding..... if the Jets did not have scheifele, helle, or traded for picks + prospects for PLD, that would've made the motivation or desire of attending a game like last night even less for me. players that work hard, prospects, etc. is great and all however those are games i think lots would rather just catch at home than spend the aforementioned time + money in going live IMO.

Last edited:

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020

I'm not so sure about that. Ticket prices between the two are broadly comparable and people certainly seem to be voting with their dollars. Maybe the Jets could learn a lesson or two from the Bombers?

You sound like you work for TNSE with your entitlement and disregard for the public's tastes.

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I'm not so sure about that. Ticket prices between the two are broadly comparable and people certainly seem to be voting with their dollars. Maybe the Jets could learn a lesson or two from the Bombers?

You sound like you work for TNSE with your entitlement and disregard for the public's tastes.
Entitlement as in the truth? BB's have a winning team and they play outdoors in the summer, attracting 25K isn't a stretch!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad