Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
.1)..this past seasons' playoff collapse vs. Vegas,... 2) In the meantime, all Chipman & Chevy will have to do is put a team on the ice that shows fans that at least they'll work hard and show up to compete every night (plus improve the game day experience). 3) We'd like to think that players will at least put the effort in and try their best in order to justify their paychecks that are certainly out of reach for fans like you and me.
1) pathetic effort in game 5 vs Vegas
2) chipman and Chevy failed here as most the team quit trying in an elimination playoff game. Coach was so embarrassed by teams lack of effort he scolded them via the media right after said "game". Coach then took back his comments because the players biatched about being blasted for their total lack of effort... Whether coach said it to the team or to the team thru press he was right. The team quit, so to your point chipman and Chevy failed. And judging by this thread the jets have failed to improve game day experience so let's say Chipmans o Fer two here
3)didn't look like the players put in the effort and try their best against, a hated rival that would've been nice to at least TRY HARD against

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
1) pathetic effort in game 5 vs Vegas
2) chipman and Chevy failed here as most the team quit trying in an elimination playoff game. Coach was so embarrassed by teams lack of effort he scolded them via the media right after said "game". Coach then took back his comments because the players biatched about being blasted for their total lack of effort... Whether coach said it to the team or to the team thru press he was right. The team quit, so to your point chipman and Chevy failed. And judging by this thread the jets have failed to improve game day experience so let's say Chipmans o Fer two here
3)didn't look like the players put in the effort and try their best against, a hated rival that would've been nice to at least TRY HARD against

Yeah, it does feel like it's been a long time since there has been a real win to get excited about. It's as though everything since 2018 has been a letdown one way or another. I guess there was that playoff series win vs. Edmonton but it was offset to some extent by the series vs. Montreal that followed it.

It's hard to get too excited when it's constantly bad news followed by more bad news. The Scheif/Helle extensions were a rare exception to that.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Biggest factor though is there are over 4x the number of games. Also the Bombers play exclusively on weekends so hard to compare in that regard.
The Bombers actually play a lot on Thursday nights (apparently they ask the league for this so they don’t have to compete with people going to the lake for the weekend).

Reactions: Jets 31 and Buffdog

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The biggest issue is the value. It's just not worth the price to many fans anymore. The atmosphere is dead, there's been zero done to make the in-game experience more fun...they're just resting on the laurels of those first few seasons.

I posted this earlier in this thread. Watch that video of a February 2013 Thursday night game vs. (noted Jets rivals) the New Jersey Devils: Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

They didn't do much to nurture that passion. They often seemed like they were trying to snuff it out...or at least channel it into their own vision instead of letting it be an organic, fan-driven thing.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
The biggest issue is the value. It's just not worth the price to many fans anymore. The atmosphere is dead, there's been zero done to make the in-game experience more fun...they're just resting on the laurels of those first few seasons.

I posted this earlier in this thread. Watch that video of a February 2013 Thursday night game vs. (noted Jets rivals) the New Jersey Devils: Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

They didn't do much to nurture that passion. They often seemed like they were trying to snuff it out...or at least channel it into their own vision instead of letting it be an organic, fan-driven thing.
Agreed. I went from a 10 game pack to a 5 game pack to a 0 game pack. The live game experience is the same 12 years in, and the rise in the cost of parking, beer and food have pushed live games out of my interest zone.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
I guess those vague threats in that off-season video didn't make much of an impact?

:dunno:

Its sports entertainment. Pretty easy to compare.
Sports entertainment, you say... how is the WWE selling these days? I need to know what the Jets are up against.

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
One thing no one has mentioned is the NHL itself. Not nearly a good enough job of promoting players and making them household names

Look back 10-15 years at the salary cap for baseball football and basketball compared to NHL which is hardly growing like the other leagues

Baseball found an issue and bring in pitch clock and 2 other move and see what happened

Also NBA did the 7/8 and 9/10 play in games which makes regular season more important. Once you have a playoff spot in the NHL just stay healthy is the goal where in NBA you want to be top 6 to get that bye and each spot down has an advantage.

NBA also trying this new cup tourney like soccer. Not sure it will work but they are trying

Also NHL not having any best on best tourneys for how many years and Olympics now hurts building the brand

Benny27

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg

1697652292442.png

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
One thing no one has mentioned is the NHL itself. Not nearly a good enough job of promoting players and making them household names

Look back 10-15 years at the salary cap for baseball football and basketball compared to NHL which is hardly growing like the other leagues

Baseball found an issue and bring in pitch clock and 2 other move and see what happened

Also NBA did the 7/8 and 9/10 play in games which makes regular season more important. Once you have a playoff spot in the NHL just stay healthy is the goal where in NBA you want to be top 6 to get that bye and each spot down has an advantage.

NBA also trying this new cup tourney like soccer. Not sure it will work but they are trying

Also NHL not having any best on best tourneys for how many years and Olympics now hurts building the brand
NBA has a lot of star players resting to stay fresh..."load management". Jim Toth is permanently outraged by it.

But yeah the NHL league marketing is terrible. They're just hitching their wagons to sports betting and hoping for the best I guess. They had hired a guy away from the NFL a number of years ago who came up with some new ideas but he's gone I believe. It's a real old man's league run by staid old hockey men. Surprised they managed to remove fighting - but I guess the tradeoff is, uh, not calling obvious boarding penalties?

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
If this is accurate, it's a serious problem. One thing to ponder is how much business in Manitoba is conducted with the provincial government or government agencies/crowns as the customer. As a general rule, employees of those organizations are not allowed to accept tickets from suppliers. Such conditions can make it difficult for businesses to justify the cost of season's tickets or suites (yes, know most if not all suites are sold).

AtomicJets

Dec 20, 2014
There simply aren't a lot of corporate headquarters in Winnipeg. The number is very few compared to the other Canadian NHL cities. There's a reason we see the same handful of companies in all the ads at Jets and Bomber games.

With the state of the economy, even if the team was winning every night they wouldn't sell out. It needs to be more affordable to attract regular fans.

Reactions: Buffdog and cbcwpg

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The main problem is that the Jets rely on Joe Fan buying tickets probably more than any other team in the league vs corporations / businesses buying tickets.

If 40% or 50% or 60% of the seats are bought up by businesses, then right of the mark you only have to worry about selling a smaller % of tickets to Joe Fan. We don't have the corporate support that we need.

Add up the price of everything that comes out of your pocket just to live... food, gas, heat, water, mortgages, and so on. Then after adding all that up, being expected to spend whatever you have left to watch NHL hockey??? It's not happening for a lot of people.

The price of tickets has gone up 3-6% or more every single season the team has been here, yet I know my pay chegue hasn't gone up even close to that amount. So what are people to do if they just can't afford it?

Think about this,,,, you can buy the most expensive TV and subscription services each and every year to watch NHL hockey, and it will cost you less than being a STH.

One thing the NHL can and should do is to have more revenue sharing. That way actual butts in seats won't matter as much to teams that rely on those butts the most.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I put the blame on were it needs to be put. Everything has increased across the board. Inflation and Money supply. Corporations are greedy :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: and won't share. Wage stagnation is real and until that problem is solved people have to choose things like paying bills and buying food instead of spending it on entertainment.
You were at that business meeting/convention thingy back in the spring where Chipman spoke about the need for more support from the business community for the Jets, right? Any idea what the general feeling was in the room after his speech? Like, oh we need to step up...or more like indifference?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
You were at that business meeting/convention thingy back in the spring where Chipman spoke about the need for more support from the business community for the Jets, right? Any idea what the general feeling was in the room after his speech? Like, oh we need to step up...or more like indifference?

Supportive but it doesn't seem to translate. I am not sure where all the money is in this province but it isn't with people who are on a pay roll

I am sure if I make disparaging remarks about the Winnipeg business community, someone will rush to their aid

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
The main problem is that the Jets rely on Joe Fan buying tickets probably more than any other team in the league vs corporations / businesses buying tickets.

If 40% or 50% or 60% of the seats are bought up by businesses, then right of the mark you only have to worry about selling a smaller % of tickets to Joe Fan. We don't have the corporate support that we need.

Add up the price of everything that comes out of your pocket just to live... food, gas, heat, water, mortgages, and so on. Then after adding all that up, being expected to spend whatever you have left to watch NHL hockey??? It's not happening for a lot of people.

The price of tickets has gone up 3-6% or more every single season the team has been here, yet I know my pay chegue hasn't gone up even close to that amount. So what are people to do if they just can't afford it?

Think about this,,,, you can buy the most expensive TV and subscription services each and every year to watch NHL hockey, and it will cost you less than being a STH.

One thing the NHL can and should do is to have more revenue sharing. That way actual butts in seats won't matter as much to teams that rely on those butts the most.
How is Ottawa managing to get more corporate support than Winnipeg when they have fewer corporations?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad