Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
That is how Winnipeg created the problem in the first place. Revitalizing downtown means not fleeing to the suburbs. Everyone who is "from" Winnipeg wants to own an arce lot with a 3000 SQ foot home just outside of Winnipeg while wanting all the luxury that a city like Toronto or Montreal or Vancouver provide

Its kind of stupid to think you can flee the city and then want what those other cities have. They have people who live downtown with money.

I'm in the River Heights area, downtown is a quick hop away.

It's a pain in the ass with traffic and not wise to stroll around at night. Perhaps that downtown money can fix the detritus. The only reason to go downtown for a lot of people is the Jets. I don't miss going to Portage Place.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Still it's an industry wide practice. Given over 2/3 the league is doing it I don't fault them for adopting it as well.

If I was in their shoes I'd want the people attending the game to buy beer and concessions in the venue instead of leaving quickly to purchase elsewhere as well.
Yeah, I'm sure they would prefer people bought the arena beer instead of getting a deal across the street. But as I mentioned before, there are situational circumstances that made this a TNSE own-goal.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Not a season ticket holder, but I just hate going downtown. Since my days at the U of W or trolling around Whiskey Dix I can count on my hand the number of times I've voluntarily went downtown outside of the forks. It sucks. It's funny how during weekday lunchtime it actually feels alive with the 9-5ers, but I have no interest in going down there in the evening as a person in my 30's for more than a few games a year. I can't imagine expecting older folks with disposable income to travel even further into downtown without perks, while they see or hear about people walking up with cheaper tickets than theirs.. Kiss their ass and make downtown more fun for the young kids or one off walkups.

I wish they could airlift the stadium and upcoming real estate out of downtown lol.
The parking/transit situation is just a disaster downtown. If I could bus in and out reliably, I'd do that in a heartbeat

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The parking/transit situation is just a disaster downtown. If I could bus in and out reliably, I'd do that in a heartbeat

Depending on where you live of course that is possible, example I have kids and years ago they liked to ride city transit (not sure why, a kids thing I guess). I would park at Polo and bus it to the arena and back to Polo........worked nicely for me.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Depending on where you live of course that is possible, example I have kids and years ago they liked to ride city transit (not sure why, a kids thing I guess). I would park at Polo and bus it to the arena and back to Polo........worked nicely for me.
Yeah, I was living close to main and it was great 18 was reliable enough to feel good about taking downtown (in the morning was another story - yeesh)

I'd love a park and ride near st Norbert.

Wouldn't make season's worth it to me as a Steinbach resident, but I'd definitely carve out time to hit up a few games a year.

Reactions: Hunter368

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
That is how Winnipeg created the problem in the first place. Revitalizing downtown means not fleeing to the suburbs. Everyone who is "from" Winnipeg wants to own an arce lot with a 3000 SQ foot home just outside of Winnipeg while wanting all the luxury that a city like Toronto or Montreal or Vancouver provide

Its kind of stupid to think you can flee the city and then want what those other cities have. They have people who live downtown with money.
Chicken or the egg?

Maybe nobody lives downtown because it's a shithole?

TBH I think it's a little of both

Suburban sprawl is an issue everywhere, even in places with decent downtowns. Unfortunately, there seems to be fewer and fewer places with nice downtowns - largely due to (in my opinion) poverty, substance abuse and mental health issues. Our downtown will never thrive until those are looked after but there's no simple fix.

That said, thank God for the Jets and TNSE. Imagine how much more dead our downtown would be without that facility

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The whole idea of "sit in your seat and behave yourself" is archaic. The model is dead. Wade and the Bombers realized this and took out seats for concourse spacing. Even in the NHL now, some buildings look empty because nobody is in the seats. I'm a Sth, but honestly I'd much rather be hanging out on the concourse at Keystone Center watching the Wheaties with the bars right behind me, or at IG field etc.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
We used to do that too. I worked on Provencher so we'd grab dinner at Garage Cafe, take a 10 bus to the rink then hop in a cab back to the car. Cost roughly the same as parking but we figured out how to get in a cab quickly and get away from downtown before traffic was bad.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Chicken or the egg?

Suburban sprawl is an issue everywhere, even in places with decent downtowns. Unfortunately, there seems to be fewer and fewer places with nice downtowns - largely due to (in my opinion) poverty, substance abuse and mental health issues. Our downtown will never thrive until those are looked after but there's no simple fix.

That said, thank God for the Jets and TNSE. Imagine how much more dead our downtown would be without that facility

Yeh downtowns in all cities I ever travelled to in the last 10-15 years are not good areas to hang out in or walk........Toronto, LV, LA, Tampa, Chicago, Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary, Edmonton, etc, etc.

Having a arena in a downtown area in any city isn't ideal and a big gamble. IIRC Thompson owns the arena or the land its on I can't remember but TNSE had it already and saved building a new one. Well they might need to rethink that idea.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
We used to do that too. I worked on Provencher so we'd grab dinner at Garage Cafe, take a 10 bus to the rink then hop in a cab back to the car. Cost roughly the same as parking but we figured out how to get in a cab quickly and get away from downtown before traffic was bad.

Yup, it was easy for me and my kids, didn't cost any more money it was actually cheaper then paying for parking

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yeh downtowns in all cities I ever travelled to in the last 10-15 years are not good areas to hang out in or walk........Toronto, LV, LA, Tampa, Chicago, Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary, Edmonton, etc, etc.

Having a arena in a downtown area in any city isn't ideal and a big gamble. IIRC Thompson owns the arena or the land its on I can't remember but TNSE had it already and saved building a new one. Well they might need to rethink that idea.
At least the arena is centrally located. I'm in the south end of the city and I think I'd actually prefer it there to the old arena location, even with downtown's warts.

I was in Ottawa in January and we stayed out in Kanata near the arena. Going to watch a Sens game if you live near downtown is almost equivalent to driving to Portage la Prairie to watch the Jets

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
At least the arena is centrally located. I'm in the south end of the city and I think I'd actually prefer it there to the old arena location, even with downtown's warts.

I was in Ottawa in January and we stayed out in Kanata near the arena. Going to watch a Sens game if you live near downtown is almost equivalent to driving to Portage la Prairie to watch the Jets

Very true, OMG I could only imagine the complaining we would hear about from fans no matter where the area was moved. Doesn't matter if its east side, west side, south or north........people will complain bc its not convenient/close to drive or bus to. I mentioned before, in the end people will always complain about things in life no matter what.......as a business you need to listen and then make your best decision you can considering all factors.......but people will still complain. Yeh I've read about 2-3 long drives to NHL areas for fans, I've been to a Leafs game in TO and their arena and area around it wasn't great either at the time, not sure now.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Chicken or the egg?

Yup, especially true in the US markets. Nobody lives in the city if they can afford to live elsewhere. The city is for work and entertainment.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
It’s been well documented that this isn't a Jets/ TNSE decision. It’s a league wide policy. Stop making enormous assumptions without actually looking into it first.
This isn’t a league wide decision at all. Those that travel have “well documented” on this very site of a dozen-ish clubs that don’t have this policy in place.

The one making assumptions here is yourself and made worse by matter of factly stating things that are not true.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
It was not, in fact, a league wide policy:

"It's not a mandate from the NHL, but a recommendation that 22 other facilities in our league have already acted on." - Kevin Donnelly

So it was absolutely a Jets/TNSE decision - the NHL recommendation just provides some cover to help the credulous to shrug it off.
Apparently I’m not the only one who knows this…

1430MaroonsRoad

Sep 14, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
It's been a few years since I've been to a Jets game in Winnipeg, but I happened to be in Calgary last November and caught the Jets vs Flames game at the Saddledome

Canada Life Centre game day experience leaves a lot to be desired but it's light years ahead of the Saddledome. Packed concourse, no bathrooms, and shitty techno/redneck music.

I realize that there are plenty of places better than here but it could be worse too

Totally agree, I flew out for that Saturday night game as well. I was astonished at how little that facility has changed (was last there in 2015) and made me appreciate Canada Life Centre a little more.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
When you talk about no re-entry policies at the NHL level you’re also talking about buildings that are 1.5x the size or more of the Jets rink and places that are like mega malls.

With the benefit TNSE has received directly and from the SHED and with ticketing being so simple with phones now the no-reentry policy might be better termed the Bad Neighbour policy.

Ultimately it’s to their benefit for that part of downtown to be developed. The pie isn’t finite, it can grow.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
When my family were season ticket holders, I loved getting the season ticket package at the start of the year. Came with a little pin and lanyard and other jets trinkets.

But even those were reduced in quality as the years went on. Even putting effort into those little things would have made a difference for us.
This season we got a vintage 80s logo soft cooler and autographed Rick Bowness photo. Not sure if the auto is authentic or a copy. We had to drive down to Jets gear and pick up ourselves.
I believe it was 2 seasons ago a gift was promised and never arrived and during the 1st Covid season SSH were never given the opportunity to get their bobble heads from the bobblehead game that never took place. I believe it’s a culmination of small factors like these that have turned some SSH away.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread TNSE are doing small things to turn things around. Being offered single game playoff tickets prior to the general public is a nice gesture that cost them nothing. I’ve now bought 4 additional seats in the same section as my ST to game 3 of the series. If they are showing their entire ticket inventory to SSH there are now just a handful of tickets left for game 3 of the series. Mainly just singles and a few 2-4 tickets in the Bud Lounge area. Not much left.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'm trying to figure out how you save money by walking across to tavern for a beer.?

This season we got a vintage 80s logo soft cooler and autographed Rick Bowness photo. Not sure if the auto is authentic or a copy. We had to drive down to Jets gear and pick up ourselves.
I believe it was 2 seasons ago a gift was promised and never arrived and during the 1st Covid season SSH were never given the opportunity to get their bobble heads from the bobblehead game that never took place. I believe it’s a culmination of small factors like these that have turned some SSH away.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread TNSE are doing small things to turn things around. Being offered single game playoff tickets prior to the general public is a nice gesture that cost them nothing. I’ve now bought 4 additional seats in the same section as my ST to game 3 of the series. If they are showing their entire ticket inventory to SSH there are now just a handful of tickets left for game 3 of the series. Mainly just singles and a few 2-4 tickets in the Bud Lounge area. Not much left.
I'm a season ticket holder and somehow I never see these things. Never even hear about them ;)

I'm sure somebody does though.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I'm trying to figure out how you save money by walking across to tavern for a beer.?

I'm a season ticket holder and somehow I never see these things. Never even hear about them ;)

I'm sure somebody does though.
The information was emailed out. Playoff single game ticket email went out at before 9am yesterday and closed at midnight last night. The link does appear to still work.

The cooler bag is a real thing for primary SSH.

Attachments

• F6381593-33CF-4C9F-A715-72CBC019BFCC.jpeg
    F6381593-33CF-4C9F-A715-72CBC019BFCC.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Channelcat

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Unless True North is holding back tickets for general sale, game 3 & 4 are sold out (with the exception of individual ticket) on ticketmaster (I haven't looked on ticket exchange). Maybe a few thousand still available for game 6.

I looked at tickets for game 3 (Saturday) and there were a few thousand waiting in the queue.

FYI, Game 6 is on a Saturday...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad