Three or more 50 Goal Seasons

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Craig Janney? Neely, Hull, Tkachuk.

Gretzky didn't center Messier, but he definitely centered Kurri, Anderson, and Robitaille to 50 goal seasons.

IIRC Robitaille is second only to Kurri in goals assisted by Gretzky.

I came across that tidbit years ago when I drafted Oates in the ATD, since its an "unofficial" record its hard to confirm 100% but I came across a couple of posts, including one from @vadim sharifijanov

Oates also credits the players he skated with, including Hull and Cam Neely, two members of the exclusive 50-in-50 club (50 goals in 50 games), who accomplished the rare feat while playing with Oates and benefiting from his remarkable skill. Peter Bondra's only 50-goal season also came when he played alongside Oates, making him the only center to have played with three different 50-goal scorers.

Oates is believed to be the only player to center three 50-goal scorers: Cam Neely, Peter Bondra, and Brett Hull (who had 86 goals in 1990-91).

^ tho this one states "Oates is the only players in NHL history to play with three 50-goal scorers on three different teams."

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Robitaille to 50 goal seasons.
I guess they do not count 92-93 with the game missed.

I remember robitaille saying that the first seasons he was so intimidated and stressed to play with Gretzky that he was not good on his line and did not play that much with him, was it true ?(i.e. was he playing mostly with Gretzky in 89-90) ?

It would be a bit of fuzzy stat, has line are rarely fully locked, powerplay is a lot of players goal and so on, strange to see Lemieux missing but that 1 more game of Rob Brown to do it I suppose.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Gretzky's only real winger to score 50+ (four times) was Jari Kurri.

Gretzky and Messier never played on the same line.

Gretzky and Kurri played with Anderson quite a bit in 1985-86 (he scored 54), but not on a full-time basis. 13 of Anderson's 34 even-strength goals were assisted by Gretzky.

Robitaille and Gretzky were never on the same line for very long, or for any full-time period. In 1988-90, Robitaille scored only 5 even-strength goals assisted by Gretzky.

The only other year (with Gretzky) that Luc scored 50+ was his big 63-goal season, during which (as noted above) Wayne missed half the year. Only 7 of Luc's 37 even-strength goals were assisted by Gretzky.

When Bernie Nicholls scored 70 goals, Wayne assisted on 30 of them overall, but as they're both centers they weren't often on the ice together at even strength.

Gretzky's most productive winger in the early 1990s was Tomas Sandström, who unfortunately was always getting injured. Sandström scored 45 goals in 68 games in 1990-91, so if he hadn't missed a dozen games he probably cracks 50... but he didn't.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
So, just to make a Gretzky-wingers' list, this would be all the 40+ goal scorers he centered:

1979-80
46 - Blair MacDonald
1982-83
48 - Glenn Anderson
45 - Jari Kurri
1983-84
52 - Jari Kurri (only 64 GP)
1984-85
71 - Jari Kurri
43 - Mike Krushelnyski
1985-86
68 - Jari Kurri
1986-87
54 - Jari Kurri
1987-88
43 - Jari Kurri (Wayne missed 16 games)
1990-91
45 - Tomas Sandström (only 68 GP)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I came across that tidbit years ago when I drafted Oates in the ATD, since its an "unofficial" record its hard to confirm 100% but I came across a couple of posts, including one from @vadim sharifijanov

^ tho this one states "Oates is the only players in NHL history to play with three 50-goal scorers on three different teams."

when i wrote that post in 2013 we didn’t yet have easy access the scoring logs, which we now do via hockey-ref. so we can look up with, say, marcel dionne centered three 50 goal scorers (he didn’t — mickey redmond wasn’t his linemate, but danny grant and charlie simmer were).

i haven’t gone through those oilers years by messier and anderson to see if gretzky centered either of them, but it’s very clear that gretzky didn’t center robitaille in 1990 with any regularity other than on the PP, and in ’93, gretzky is only robitaille’s fulltime center for the last month of the season.

as for craig janney, he was brett hull’s fulltime center for a month after the trade in ’92, up to when hull got hurt for a month to basically close out the regular season. he only centered hull in couple small spurts in ’93, and sporadically in ’94. but he definitely was neely’s and shanahan’s main dude for their back-to-back 50 goal years.

but the discovery from the game logs here is that janney (not roenick, as i’d previously assumed) was also tkachuk’s primary center in 1997. i guess it kind of depends on how you define it, but he certainly centered tkachuk more than anyone else that year. there’s a month and a half in the fall where tkachuk is scoring at a decent rate at ES, mostly with dmen and mike gartner factoring in on his scoring and janney isn’t putting up anything at ES so it’s inconclusive whether they played together; but we do know that for much of january ronning was tkachuk’s center, and the beginning of the month looks like he was with roenick.

but i think oates is 100% unequivocally the only guy to center three 50 goal scorers on three teams and, as i noted in the thread you link, coach a fourth one)

Reactions: Voight

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire

Yeah but it's still not true, as Janney did center:
- Neely in Boston (55 in 89-90 and 51 in 90-91)
- Hull in St. Louis (54 in 92-93 and 57 in 93-94)
- Shanahan in St. Louis (51 in 92-93 and 52 in 93-94)
- Tkachuk in Phoenix (52 in 96-97)

That's actually 4 50-goal scorers over 3 teams.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
but the discovery from the game logs here is that janney (not roenick, as i’d previously assumed) was also tkachuk’s primary center in 1997. i guess it kind of depends on how you define it, but he certainly centered tkachuk more than anyone else that year. there’s a month and a half in the fall where tkachuk is scoring at a decent rate at ES, mostly with dmen and mike gartner factoring in on his scoring and janney isn’t putting up anything at ES so it’s inconclusive whether they played together; but we do know that for much of january ronning was tkachuk’s center, and the beginning of the month looks like he was with roenick.
In games where both of Tkachuk and Janney actually played:

Tkachuk ES pts with Janney: 25
Tkachuk ES pts with Roenick: 7
Tkachuk ES pts with Kilger: 2
Tkachuk ES pts with Ronning: 6
Tkachuk ES pts with Corkum: 5
Tkachuk ES pts with Eastwood: 1

Tkachuk PP pts with Janney: 5
Tkachuk PP pts with Roenick: 8
Tkachuk PP pts with Ronning: 2
Tkachuk PP pts with Stapleton: 1

I'd say more ES pts than all other centers combined seems pretty clear.

Sidenotes:
- Coyotes seem to have stacked the PP with Roenick, Tkachuk and Janney combined
- half of the Ronning points came in one game when Janney just returned after an injury
- Corkum/Kilger points nearly universally came late in the game, probably defending the lead (not where I'd expect Tkachuk to show up, funnily enough)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad