Proposal: Three Oiler Trades, All In

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
It's not about making us much worse.
It's about the contract Barrie has which has a higher cap hit and an additional year compared to Soucy.

So we'd rather keep Soucy at his reasonable cap hit for only one more year, instead of doing a trade like that, which just doesn't move the needle for Seattle.

1) Yes, Soucy could be a guy we move to add more picks/prospects to help building the team.

2) No, this trade doesn't make sense.
If you do want to move Soucy for younger pieces(picks/prospects) you don't take on a guy like Barrie and his contract which has a higher cap hit and an additional year to it, while the player's also older.
Unless, of course, the other team gives you something really nice on top of it, which Savoie(an OK prospect, but nothing special) just isn't.

I mean, at the end of the day the Oilers aren't just trading Barrie(+ some prospect) for Soucy here, they're also helping themselves financially which is very important during the current flat cap era.
Again I totally understand if Barrie isn't a good piece coming back.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
When your team's two best possible moves are

a) hoping your AHL level goalie puts the right teams on his trade list
b) hoping your geriatric defender retires at seasons end

then you know you're in shambles

Well, start a thread about the value of Mrazek and see what you get.

I'll give you a hint: It'll cost the Leafs something to dump him.

As for THIS thread, Vejmelka is the target, and a much better one than Mrazek.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think you seriously underrate Zub.

Guy is a legit shut down defenseman. Would probably be #2 on this team.
I question if we need that though. Bouchard is working beside Nurse, and we don't need Ceci bounced to the 3rd pair. I would rather an equivalent 2LD but I suppose that's what the Soucy trade addresses. For the record, I would love Zub. I just think we need a 3RD, not a 1/2 shut down RD.

Nowotny

Dec 29, 2021
East Valley,AZ
For those rightfully saying who is Karel Vlejmelka...

He came out of nowhere. From the Czech Extraliga to the NHL.. which is completely unheard of. He signed a 1 year, 900k 2 way contract fuly expecting to go to the AHL. Made the team out of camp and keeps playing really well. He only has 4 wins because he's in Arizona.

Arizona might be able to trade a 1 year 900K guy for some serious value OR they can resign him for a nice cheap contract.

View attachment 498446

UFA at end of season, 900k.
Vejmelka is RFA after this season.I believe Koskinen is UFA

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I question if we need that though. Bouchard is working beside Nurse, and we don't need Ceci bounced to the 3rd pair. I would rather an equivalent 2LD but I suppose that's what the Soucy trade addresses. For the record, I would love Zub. I just think we need a 3RD, not a 1/2 shut down RD.
I think we need a shut down defenseman more than anything. I'd be happy with Soucy too, but I'm a big fan of Zub. Ceci and Bouchard taking turns moving up and down doesn't seem to bad to me, cause I think a Nurse-Zub pairing would be stellar. Looks a bit like real depth but would require Barrie to go somewhere else.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
You forgot Koskinen
What exactly do you think it would take to move three months of Koskinen and how the hell are you valuing Karel Vejmelka? That's a first and a third in the Bedard/Michkov draft. That's not insignificant for a team that is nowhere near the cap when they're also getting a replacement goalie for this year as well.

I wouldn't even be offering that for Vejmelka myself, it's just what the OP threw out there. And he was right when he said people would make ridiculous claims about poor value. I think Ottawa are the only ones who could claim legit beef with the return, but there's even been a couple sens fans who are close.

No way Arizona is laughing and hanging up. That's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
61bm02.jpg

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Best move Oilers could make would be to get a proven leader who knows what it takes to win a playoff round.

They should be targeting Toews or Pavelski.

Correct me if I'm wrong but McDavid has mastered being the best player on a team, but not how to lead a team? Any championships with the Otters?
Does he ever show frustration, call out his teammates, maybe break his stick on his way to the bench? It's great to be the greatest hockey player in the world, but at what point does someone other than Tortorella call him out and ask for more leadership? :soap:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It's not about making us much worse.
It's about the contract Barrie has which has a higher cap hit and an additional year compared to Soucy.

So we'd rather keep Soucy at his reasonable cap hit for only one more year, instead of doing a trade like that, which just doesn't move the needle for Seattle.

1) Yes, Soucy could be a guy we move to add more picks/prospects to help building the team.

2) No, this trade doesn't make sense.
If you do want to move Soucy for younger pieces(picks/prospects) you don't take on a guy like Barrie and his contract which has a higher cap hit and an additional year to it, while the player's also older.
Unless, of course, the other team gives you something really nice on top of it, which Savoie(an OK prospect, but nothing special) just isn't.

I mean, at the end of the day the Oilers aren't just trading Barrie(+ some prospect) for Soucy here, they're also helping themselves financially which is very important during the current flat cap era.

This is the one Soucy trade I could live with. I don't like the Barrie contract and he isn't the type of D Seattle is looking for but he is a RD so it at least balances the pairs out. Also could help get the offense going which could use a boost. But the reason I do is because I'm really high on Savoie, I think he's a really good prospect and could be pro ready next year as he's already played 2 NCAA seasons. I prefer a move like this than getting a 2nd + for Soucy because Savoie is so much further along than that 2nd will be. Plus Barrie could be a trade piece down the line for more pieces.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
*4.5 ×3 years

As I nervously wait for Troll Stomper
Thank you. Legit thought it was 4 years this entire time. Maybe just feels like I've been complaining about it for that long.haha.

Fyi.. and I type this a lot.lol. I am only a mod on international! I do not want to be a mod anywhere else and no one is asking me to.haha.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Looks like the type of trades the Oilers should do to be All Out for years to come.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ottawa basically has one legit RD on the team right now. We really can't move him. Zub is also a fan favorite.

To be honest, if Zub went on the market, a few teams would definitely outbid that Oiler proposal.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Thank you. Legit thought it was 4 years this entire time. Maybe just feels like I've been complaining about it for that long.haha.

Fyi.. and I type this a lot.lol. I am only a mod on international! I do not want to be a mod anywhere else and no one is asking me to.haha.
Feels like he's been here for a decade so it's all fair. Ha ha.

Reactions: Czechboy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Getting Zub would be a coup for Edmonton.

Soucy and Vejmelka? That isn't exactly all-in. Just overpays for more [probably] mediocre players.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Rrreeeeaaaalllllyyyy, that moment you realize an oil fan made this.

Our 1sts aren't moving and certainly not for Zub and Vejmelka. Holland didn't even want to move 1sts and top prospects for Chychrun...

Add onto that trade for Vejmelka and you could get an actual proven starter like Gibson.
And Holland didn’t make any trades so saying you won’t move valuable assets is fine but it also means you’re not making trades and you ride with the team you got. No one is going to make a trade with the Oil where they part with a valuable player for mod round picks, other bits like B- prospects like Lavoie and spare parts like Koskinen.

value for value. Especially considering Holland lacks leverage with some obvious roster holes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad