Proposal: Three Oiler Trades, All In

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
For those rightfully saying who is Karel Vlejmelka...

He came out of nowhere. From the Czech Extraliga to the NHL.. which is completely unheard of. He signed a 1 year, 900k 2 way contract fuly expecting to go to the AHL. Made the team out of camp and keeps playing really well. He only has 4 wins because he's in Arizona.

Arizona might be able to trade a 1 year 900K guy for some serious value OR they can resign him for a nice cheap contract.

upload_2022-1-14_13-4-42.png

UFA at end of season, 900k.

Reactions: GOilers88

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Have you seen Tyson play? Edmonton fans want to rid of him, yet you think a Seattle team stacked with dman, much less would take on long term contract like Tyson Barrie? Soucy is better and cheaper

Yes as an Avs fan, I've seen Barrie play for most of his career. He doesn't suck enough to be a cap dump. If Barrie sucks after a slow start this season then so does Grubauer.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I am not sure these deals would move the needle much and you lose a 1st, 2nd, and a prospect on top of that.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Probably overpaid on two. That was kind of intentional to forestall too many objections. Sort of worked.

Zub is excellent and probably not well known outside of Ottawa. Cheap too.
I keep thinking we need a few tinkers.. cheaper players that can contribute quickly without changing things.

Using Czechs...

Trade for vlejmejka.. should be cheap.
Trade for Kempny to be 3LD over KK... Should be cheap.
Trade for chytil as our new 3c.. should also be cheaper since they are down on him.

Fire the coach and replace with woodcroft.

No major homeruns... Just tinkers.

Reactions: IIxGURUxII

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
what is he 4-13 and had a slightly above .900 save % ...though all the way up to .910 after the leafs peppering him with shots.
he may have potential, but, i wouldnt bet my playoffs on him

I watched as many of this years highlights with him as I could and I really like his abilities. His team sucks in front of him.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
For those rightfully saying who is Karel Vlejmelka...

He came out of nowhere. From the Czech Extraliga to the NHL.. which is completely unheard of. He signed a 1 year, 900k 2 way contract fuly expecting to go to the AHL. Made the team out of camp and keeps playing really well. He only has 4 wins because he's in Arizona.

Arizona might be able to trade a 1 year 900K guy for some serious value OR they can resign him for a nice cheap contract.

View attachment 498446

UFA at end of season, 900k.
Vejmelka is RFA at the end of the season, but with arbitration rights.

Can't imagine a "slight overpay" will pull him out of Arizona where we already have a zillion 2nd round draft picks, probably will get some more from the trade deadline, and we need some sort of goaltending going forward. I think the general feeling among Yotes fans is to re-sign him to an extension.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
what is he 4-13 and had a slightly above .900 save % ...though all the way up to .910 after the leafs peppering him with shots.
he may have potential, but, i wouldnt bet my playoffs on him
If you've played 20 games, like he has, one big game against the leafs won't increase your save percentage from .900 to .910. The Jet's fired 46 and 48 shots on him recently too.

Agreed he may not be a future Stanley Cup winning goalie.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Vejmelka is RFA at the end of the season, but with arbitration rights.

Can't imagine a "slight overpay" will pull him out of Arizona where we already have a zillion 2nd round draft picks, probably will get some more from the trade deadline, and we need some sort of goaltending going forward. I think the general feeling among Yotes fans is to re-sign him to an extension.
Hope that's true! Biggest surprise of Czech season (Galvas might be the next one).

RFA making 900k... that cannot be a big contract for next season with arbitration.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I like the Karel Vejmelka story but giving up big assets for less than 40 games of NHL play just seems like Koskinen 2.0
They gave Koski a NMC and 4.5 million x 4.

This is not like that at all.lol

His best case scenarios are probably 2 year contracts at 2 million per... and I may be shooting high.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
They gave Koski a NMC and 4.5 million x 4.

This is not like that at all.lol

His best case scenarios are probably 2 year contracts at 2 million per... and I may be shooting high.

Not saying the contract will be the same; but the Oilers would give up a first round pick in this case for someone relatively unproven.

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
Barrie has two years after this season. It's one more year than Soucy. You make it sound like he's signed forever. I get not liking the player but easy now. Most Edmonton fans know he's going to be a cap casualty more than anything, even despite his struggles this season. I don't mind him if he can get back to where he was last year, but he's off this season. Like most HF whipping boys, the criticisms are so vastly overblown and over exaggerated that it's comical. He's not a great defender but he has his place.

These forums like to pretend that 50% of the players in the league actually suck at hockey and the only ones who can't see it are people who actually work and play in the league. It's humorous.

And not to talk about how fans value the players. If a player gets moved. The payment it is always miles away from the proposal!‍♂️♂️

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Not saying the contract will be the same; but the Oilers would give up a first round pick in this case for someone relatively unproven.
I wouldn't trade our first for him. Now I understand my bad. I said a 3rd or a guy like Tyler Benson.

If he does get traded this season, curious what he gets.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
All in for me is:

chychrun for Broberg, 1st 2022, 2nd 2022/23, Samaruokov

saucy for Barrie, Lavoie, 2nd rounder

best goalie for Koskinen, 1st rounder, Xavier B, Turris

Run with:

Hyman McDavid Pulu
Kane Drai Kassian
Foegele RNH Yamamoto
McLeod Ryan Shore/Archie
Bring up Halloway late in the year

Nurse Bouchard
Chychrun Saucy
Kieth Ceci
Russel

Goalie from trade
Smith/Skinner

minor trades for cap space

archangel2

May 19, 2019
:edmonton

Carson Soucy

:seattle

Tyson Barrie
Carter Savoie

Artem Zub

:sens

Derek Ryan
Oilers 2022 1st

Karel Vejmelka

:coyotes

Mikko Koskinen
Oilers 2023 1st, 2023 2nd

When did Vejmelka get the value of a first rounder and a 2nd
?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
All in for me is:

chychrun for Broberg, 1st 2022, 2nd 2022/23, Samaruokov

saucy for Barrie, Lavoie, 2nd rounder

best goalie for Koskinen, 1st rounder, Xavier B, Turris

Run with:

Hyman McDavid Pulu
Kane Drai Kassian
Foegele RNH Yamamoto
McLeod Ryan Shore/Archie
Bring up Halloway late in the year

Nurse Bouchard
Chychrun Saucy
Kieth Ceci
Russel

Goalie from trade
Smith/Skinner

minor trades for cap space

Feel free to post a trade thread!

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think even the biggest Oiler hater on here realizes the Oilers aren't a bottom feeder team. They really should make the playoffs with their current roster.

Barrie and Savoie don't make the Kraken intentionally worse. If anything I've overpaid for Soucy.

It's not about making us much worse.
It's about the contract Barrie has which has a higher cap hit and an additional year compared to Soucy.

So we'd rather keep Soucy at his reasonable cap hit for only one more year, instead of doing a trade like that, which just doesn't move the needle for Seattle.

It's fine if you know nothing about Carter Savoie, or if you don't think he's enough, but he is a good prospect. Just because he was drafted in the 4th doesn't mean anything.

And to be fair Seattle is looking near a last place finish currently. I understand the want to keep Soucy, but he seems like the type of player with a year left that would be a good flip for a team needing to build through the draft moving forward. It's not like he's keeping them in the hunt or anything, but I also understand not wanting Barrie.

1) Yes, Soucy could be a guy we move to add more picks/prospects to help building the team.

2) No, this trade doesn't make sense.
If you do want to move Soucy for younger pieces(picks/prospects) you don't take on a guy like Barrie and his contract which has a higher cap hit and an additional year to it, while the player's also older.
Unless, of course, the other team gives you something really nice on top of it, which Savoie(an OK prospect, but nothing special) just isn't.

I mean, at the end of the day the Oilers aren't just trading Barrie(+ some prospect) for Soucy here, they're also helping themselves financially which is very important during the current flat cap era.

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
What people dont realize in all of this is that somehow - the oilers also managed to give Koskinen a NTC hahahahahahahahahahah

in other words - He holds alot of the cards -

theoretically he can NOT agree (on his 15 team No trade list) which would be potential suitors to absorb his cap

for example - if he says NO to Arizona, Anaheim. Seattle, Buffalo, Detroit, New Jersey, Columbus, Nashville, Rangers, Minny, Calgary, Islanders, Boston, Colorado, LAK) - then where the hell are they gonna trade him???????????

he holds all the cards as well! and/or can simply just collect his 4.5M anyways hahahaha

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
What people dont realize in all of this is that somehow - the oilers also managed to give Koskinen a NTC hahahahahahahahahahah

in other words - He holds alot of the cards -

theoretically he can NOT agree (on his 15 team No trade list) which would be potential suitors to absorb his cap

for example - if he says NO to Arizona, Anaheim. Seattle, Buffalo, Detroit, New Jersey, Columbus, Nashville, Rangers, Minny, Calgary, Islanders, Boston, Colorado, LAK) - then where the hell are they gonna trade him???????????

he holds all the cards as well! and/or can simply just collect his 4.5M anyways hahahaha

Still won't get the Oilers to take Mrazek off your hands. *sad trombone sound*

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
When your team's two best possible moves are

a) hoping your AHL level goalie puts the right teams on his trade list
b) hoping your geriatric defender retires at seasons end

then you know you're in shambles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad