Proposal: Three Oiler Trades, All In

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
:edmonton

Carson Soucy

:seattle

Tyson Barrie
Carter Savoie

Artem Zub

:sens

Derek Ryan
Oilers 2022 1st

Karel Vejmelka

:coyotes

Mikko Koskinen
Oilers 2023 1st, 2023 2nd

I lost my tusks in surprise when I read your proposal. :huh:
Respect to you. :thumbu:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
What did you expect? You're targeting players the other team has no reason to move. Imagine someone randomly wanting RNH or Nurse. It would take a boat load to convince oil fans.

Change Zub with Manson, stralman, etc
Change Soucy to Leddy, Giordano, etc
Change Vejmelka to Greiss, Halak, etc

My point, which should be clear, is even if overpaying people will find things to complain about. What is Carson Soucy going to do for Seattle? Make the slide into last place in the league less steep?

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
My point, which should be clear, is even if overpaying people will find things to complain about. What is Carson Soucy going to do for Seattle? Make the slide into last place in the league less steep?
What is RNH/Nurse going to do make Edmontons slide into the bottom of the league less steep?

I highly doubt many Seattle fans are interested in moving good players under team control just for hell of it, or for Barrie who has a terrible rep on these boards. Not many teams or their fans want to get intentionally worse unless their players aren't coming back ex:UFA.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
What is RNH/Nurse going to do make Edmontons slide into the bottom of the league less steep?

I highly doubt many Seattle fans are interested in moving good players under team control just for hell of it, or for Barrie who has a terrible rep on these boards. Not many teams or their fans want to get intentionally worse unless their players aren't coming back ex:UFA.

I think even the biggest Oiler hater on here realizes the Oilers aren't a bottom feeder team. They really should make the playoffs with their current roster.

Barrie and Savoie don't make the Kraken intentionally worse. If anything I've overpaid for Soucy.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think the Oilers should be offering on guys like Travis Boyd or Johan Larsson from the Coyotes. I think they both pull a late 3rd at this point and would be a nice upgrade with a little cap savings on a guy like Turris.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Overpay for Soucy, unless you are treating Barrie as a cap dump. Zub I think is better than Soucy and a first this year might not be enough. Some Ottawa fans he is a core piece so no reason to trade him.

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
Read the post above.

I totally overpaid on two of those proposals, I know. Still got a "Barrie sucks no way Seattle would do this"

Zub is a better and cheaper version of Adam Larsson.

Tyson Barrie who sucks and has a long term contracts? So Seattle is trading soucy for a bad contract and some b or c prospect? Yeah, a new team will be so happy to give away a cheap d player like soucy, and take back a long term contract for a bad player with nothing coming back

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
Overpay for Soucy, unless you are treating Barrie as a cap dump. Zub I think is better than Soucy and a first this year might not be enough. Some Ottawa fans he is a core piece so no reason to trade him.

Have you seen Tyson play? Edmonton fans want to rid of him, yet you think a Seattle team stacked with dman, much less would take on long term contract like Tyson Barrie? Soucy is better and cheaper

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Tyson Barrie who sucks and has a long term contracts? So Seattle is trading soucy for a bad contract and some b or c prospect? Yeah, a new team will be so happy to give away a cheap d player like soucy, and take back a long term contract for a bad player with nothing coming back
Barrie has two years after this season. It's one more year than Soucy. You make it sound like he's signed forever. I get not liking the player but easy now. Most Edmonton fans know he's going to be a cap casualty more than anything, even despite his struggles this season. I don't mind him if he can get back to where he was last year, but he's off this season. Like most HF whipping boys, the criticisms are so vastly overblown and over exaggerated that it's comical. He's not a great defender but he has his place.

These forums like to pretend that 50% of the players in the league actually suck at hockey and the only ones who can't see it are people who actually work and play in the league. It's humorous.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
In what world does a team keep Ceci over Barrie. Have seen both in Toronto I get Barrie isn’t great in his own Zone but Ceci will get you anywhere close to the amount of offence. Plus he is terrible defensively

Last edited:

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
In what world does a team keep Ceci over Barrie. Have seen both in Toronto I get Barrie isn’t great in his own Zone but Ceci will get you anywhere close to the amount of offence.
Ceci has been good this year. He gets unfairly shit on imo. Barrie has struggled far more this season after a great year last year. Problem is money, Barrie has the higher cap hit and with Bouchard emerging as a clear cut replacement in the top four and on the PP they're going to have to move Barrie's money to help facilitate changes.

Personally I've been very happy with Ceci this season. Maybe he got too much money or term, but I don't think he's been anything but good this year.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I love that though process to be honest.

You're not going for homerun after homerun and just tinkering around the roster becasue it is a good roster that needs some smaller patches and not an overhaul.

Zub would be amazing.

I'm honestly not certain if Vejmelka could help us but he is a UFA and makes 900k. Really curious where he ends up... I actually thought he was the second best Czech goalie in Arizona (behind Korenar) and that is not aging well.

If he were a target (and a month ago I'd say no and now I think maybe he is) then he could probably had for cheaper. Eg. a guy like Benson straight up might do it.

Trading Barrie while he has value as last years leading D scorer and PP boss is key for the Oil IMO.

Lots of good ideas.

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
Barrie has two years after this season. It's one more year than Soucy. You make it sound like he's signed forever. I get not liking the player but easy now. Most Edmonton fans know he's going to be a cap casualty more than anything, even despite his struggles this season. I don't mind him if he can get back to where he was last year, but he's off this season. Like most HF whipping boys, the criticisms are so vastly overblown and over exaggerated that it's comical. He's not a great defender but he has his place.

These forums like to pretend that 50% of the players in the league actually suck at hockey and the only ones who can't see it are people who actually work and play in the league. It's humorous.

Again Seattle has no reason to trade soucy whose a better defender, player for a worse one in Tyson Barrie, and some nobody c level prospect who was selected in 4th round

Your reasoning that this makes Seattle better isn't true, it makes them worse. Sorry everyone knows who Barrie is, player who all Edmonton fans want to rid of, yet Seattle a new team should take him on, sure. Not to mention, you gave Seattle nothing for soucy

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I love that though process to be honest.

You're not going for homerun after homerun and just tinkering around the roster becasue it is a good roster that needs some smaller patches and not an overhaul.

Zub would be amazing.

I'm honestly not certain if Vejmelka could help us but he is a UFA and makes 900k. Really curious where he ends up... I actually thought he was the second best Czech goalie in Arizona (behind Korenar) and that is not aging well.

If he were a target (and a month ago I'd say no and now I think maybe he is) then he could probably had for cheaper. Eg. a guy like Benson straight up might do it.

Trading Barrie while he has value as last years leading D scorer and PP boss is key for the Oil IMO.

Lots of good ideas.

Probably overpaid on two. That was kind of intentional to forestall too many objections. Sort of worked.

Zub is excellent and probably not well known outside of Ottawa. Cheap too.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Ottawa trade is fine assuming the pick is between 16-25 but I don’t love the idea of it.

We’re turning the corner and need more established players as opposed to picks. If Zub wants to stay and we can afford signing him, I don’t see the reason to trade for an asset that maybe one day could become as effective as him.

On the other side a first round pick is a damn good asset that the Oilers are giving up.

Bleh hate the idea value probably pretty close. Counter offer, 1st round pick + Savoie? ;) No? Ok

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
As a Sens fan I wouldn't make that deal. 1st is tempting but even if it ends up in the 16-20 range, the likelihood of finding a shutdown d-man of that caliber is probably less than 10%.

Oilers absolutely need that type of player though.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Dude not just that game. He has been really good on a really bad Arizona team. I've been paying attention to him for a little while now.
what is he 4-13 and had a slightly above .900 save % ...though all the way up to .910 after the leafs peppering him with shots.
he may have potential, but, i wouldnt bet my playoffs on him

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Again Seattle has no reason to trade soucy whose a better defender, player for a worse one in Tyson Barrie, and some nobody c level prospect who was selected in 4th round

Your reasoning that this makes Seattle better isn't true, it makes them worse. Sorry everyone knows who Barrie is, player who all Edmonton fans want to rid of, yet Seattle a new team should take him on, sure. Not to mention, you gave Seattle nothing for soucy
It's fine if you know nothing about Carter Savoie, or if you don't think he's enough, but he is a good prospect. Just because he was drafted in the 4th doesn't mean anything.

And to be fair Seattle is looking near a last place finish currently. I understand the want to keep Soucy, but he seems like the type of player with a year left that would be a good flip for a team needing to build through the draft moving forward. It's not like he's keeping them in the hunt or anything, but I also understand not wanting Barrie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad