OT: Thread About Nothing (part # who cares)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
@Bleedred

How are you doing up there? Hearing lots of flooding.
How are you doing where you are?

Believe it or not, I am actually out of town. Took a vacation for the first time in 6, maybe even 7 years. I have taken weekend trips, but that’s it. I didn’t do this sooner for several reasons. One being that I got my dog 6 years ago and she isn’t good around people and I don’t think I can bring her on a plane. she’d be scared to death in a carrier on a plane.

So I left her with my friends for the 2.5 weeks. I left on Thursday the 25th of July. I’ll be back one week from today. They live on a body of water and this seems to happen at least once a year. Often times several. Their block is pretty bad. I told them to stay at my house if they need to, they have the keys, but they said it’s not that bad. I’ve had them at my house when there’s a storm often over the years.

So yeah, I took a trip. Spent 10 days in Jersey, visiting with everyone. Most of those people come to see me every year, but one friend I hadn’t seen in 6 years.

Flew to Denver last night for a week with my step brother and his family. They visit me twice a year. Once in the summer and once for Christmas/new years.

I used to do this every August for about 6 or 7 years there. Between the dog, then having a live-in girlfriend and her son from shortly after through late 2020. And just being really apathetic for the last 3 years, I haven’t done it. I’m glad I did. And I’m glad I just so happened to be gone for one of the annual 3-5 tropical systems. Only 2-4 more to go for me to be there for!

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
How are you doing where you are?

Believe it or not, I am actually out of town. Took a vacation for the first time in 6, maybe even 7 years. I have taken weekend trips, but that’s it. I didn’t do this sooner for several reasons. One being that I got my dog 6 years ago and she isn’t good around people and I don’t think I can bring her on a plane. she’d be scared to death in a carrier on a plane.

So I left her with my friends for the 2.5 weeks. I left on Thursday the 25th of July. I’ll be back one week from today. They live on a body of water and this seems to happen at least once a year. Often times several. Their block is pretty bad. I told them to stay at my house if they need to, they have the keys, but they said it’s not that bad. I’ve had them at my house when there’s a storm often over the years.

So yeah, I took a trip. Spent 10 days in Jersey, visiting with everyone. Most of those people come to see me every year, but one friend I hadn’t seen in 6 years.

Flew to Denver last night for a week with my step brother and his family. They visit me twice a year. Once in the summer and once for Christmas/new years.

I used to do this every August for about 6 or 7 years there. Between the dog, then having a live-in girlfriend and her son from shortly after through late 2020. And just being really apathetic for the last 3 years, I haven’t done it. I’m glad I did. And I’m glad I just so happened to be gone for one of the annual 3-5 tropical systems. Only 2-4 more to go for me to be there for!
Holy! That’s not a vacation, that’s more like a hiatus! Much deserved dude, enjoy the time away.

It’s ok down here, just lots of rain and the water levels are the worst today now from 3 days of rain.

Glad you got to miss one.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
ottawa bound at 6am. joke work order for two days, climb down a hole, install a sensor...two new sensor installs attched to underside of manhole cover (non climbing sub terra) ... and next day drive around the city and change a bunch of battery packs that are about 2 1/2 to 3 years old.... standard maintenance.

like this... :laugh:

gonna hit up a disc golf course tomorrow night ...a 17 minute walk from the hotel with 4 traveler beers after checking in done shift. (holiday inn baby! all expenses paid)

yes, i've played disc golf before... it's fun and challenging and beers and its f***ing free.

Last edited:

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Had to educate a friend on where Central Jersey is located.

IMG_7814.jpeg

Barrier Islands down to Island State Beach Park is included. Any other map is incorrect. Don’t @ me…

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

View attachment 899465

Barrier Islands down to Island State Beach Park is included. Any other map is incorrect. Don’t @ me…
I don't feel super strongly about any of this one way or the other.

But my imaginary lines were the Raritan River and points north being North Jersey. Like I always considered the Driscoll bridge on the parkway (which goes over the Raritan) being like the transition into Central Jersey. Your line is kind of similar to that.

But then I considered the bridge down by mile market 50 on the parkway to be South Jersey. It's kind of like the border of Ocean and Atlantic counties, though it does turn into Burlington County for a few miles in between there. Keep in mind this was something I made up on my own from looking at maps as a 12 year old. I had an obsession with maps and things like that when I was 10-12 years old. You would have thought I was going to grow up to be some kind of Geography teacher at the very least. I still love them today. One of the rare nice things my dad ever said about me was that ''This kid reads a map better than the guys I work with''.

But yeah, I think most people who live on LBI and Manahawkin consider themselves to be in SOUTH Jersey and not Central.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Got back last night from a week-long vacation in Cancun. The resort and activities were a lot of fun. In addition to the usual pool/buffet/boozing, we went snorkeling and saw Chichen Itza.

On the other hand, the flights there and back were a nightmare. Both times, the initial flight was delayed and caused us to miss our connection. On the way down, we had to rebook and add another leg, flying through Dallas. Got in 8 hours later than expected, but at least we got to the right airport the same day.

Yesterday, our flight out of Cancun was delayed, so we missed our connection and the only other flight to Hartford was canceled. I had to fly to Providence and rent a car to drive home, getting in at 2 am, instead of 8 pm. I still don't have my bag.

I know air transport is a tough business to be in, but damn flying has gotten really miserable.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Got back last night from a week-long vacation in Cancun. The resort and activities were a lot of fun. In addition to the usual pool/buffet/boozing, we went snorkeling and saw Chichen Itza.

On the other hand, the flights there and back were a nightmare. Both times, the initial flight was delayed and caused us to miss our connection. On the way down, we had to rebook and add another leg, flying through Dallas. Got in 8 hours later than expected, but at least we got to the right airport the same day.

Yesterday, our flight out of Cancun was delayed, so we missed our connection and the only other flight to Hartford was canceled. I had to fly to Providence and rent a car to drive home, getting in at 2 am, instead of 8 pm. I still don't have my bag.

I know air transport is a tough business to be in, but damn flying has gotten really miserable.
I drove to Florida last June rather than flying because of this. The amount of people I know who had headache inducing delays or outright cancelations makes me think I might not ever fly again if the destination is drivable.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I drove to Florida last June rather than flying because of this. The amount of people I know who had headache inducing delays or outright cancelations makes me think I might not ever fly again if the destination is drivable.
I had to fly back from Palm Beach tonight. Was supposed to fly yesterday but Southwest canceled my flight about two hours before takeoff. Rebooked a different airline for today. Instead of direct flight had a connection in Atlanta. Had about 20 minutes to switch concourses and get to gate. Made it with about 10 minutes to spare but I had to run a fair amount. Very stressful.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I had to fly back from Palm Beach tonight. Was supposed to fly yesterday but Southwest canceled my flight about two hours before takeoff. Rebooked a different airline for today. Instead of direct flight had a connection in Atlanta. Had about 20 minutes to switch concourses and get to gate. Made it with about 10 minutes to spare but I had to run a fair amount. Very stressful.

One of the big things I've been pushing at work as I gain seniority and our team grows is that I want to travel less. It's exhausting and stressful every time.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

View attachment 899465

Feel like the left part of the top line should be moved up a bit so that Flemington and more of Somerset county is included as Central NJ.

Otherwise, fairly solid.

Reactions: Bleedred

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

I'm pretty cheap when it comes to flying, I'll fly basic economy almost every time but I avoid connections like the plague. I've gotten stuck 2 out of the 3x I've had connections and that's when I decided never again unless I literally have no choice.

My only real issue with all these basic economy flights is that it's such a scam that they are allowed to charge to pick seats. If I was a politician I'd be running on the basis of making this shit illegal. Different classes of seating areas? Sure that's fine but then you get to actually pick your seats in that area. I usually only travel with a personal bag because I never bring much with me when I travel and paying for carry ons / checking bags can almost double the price of a ticket. It's insane.

Anything that is under 12 hours I'm 100% driving anyway because I hate the process of flying that much.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

View attachment 899465

I live within the boundary of the mythical Central New Jersey according to that map....

No such thing....look at RT 78 and slightly south of the interstate from Perth Amboy to Doylestown is the North/South diving line or the southern tip of Staten Island to the PA border...south of that you are in Dixie.

Central Jersey wasn't even a term until people moved to Monmouth county from Staten Island and Jersey City and didn't want to tell their friends and and families they moved to South Jersey.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The first town you get to in NJ that has more than one Eagles flag swaying on a front porch is sure sign you crossed the great divide.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I'm pretty cheap when it comes to flying, I'll fly basic economy almost every time but I avoid connections like the plague. I've gotten stuck 2 out of the 3x I've had connections and that's when I decided never again unless I literally have no choice.

My only real issue with all these basic economy flights is that it's such a scam that they are allowed to charge to pick seats. If I was a politician I'd be running on the basis of making this shit illegal. Different classes of seating areas? Sure that's fine but then you get to actually pick your seats in that area. I usually only travel with a personal bag because I never bring much with me when I travel and paying for carry ons / checking bags can almost double the price of a ticket. It's insane.

Anything that is under 12 hours I'm 100% driving anyway because I hate the process of flying that much.

I hear you, but it’s tough to avoid connections when your local airport is a small regional one and doesn’t have direct flights to most destinations. I guess I could drive to JFK or Boston but that is pretty inconvenient in its own way.

I used to travel a lot for conferences (then Covid, having a kid, and changing jobs shut all that down) and I only missed a connecting flight once out of like 30 trips. It’s definitely gotten worse since then.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The first town you get to in NJ that has more than one Eagles flag swaying on a front porch is sure sign you crossed the great divide.
I feel a lot of the shore towns are Eagles/Philly sports fans.

At least they were/are in Manasquan and Point Pleasant area. When I was a kid and would meet kids down there I'd ask them if they were watching the Mets (or Yankees) and they were all about the Phillies and Philly teams.

I think it's still like that to a degree, but I also know New York/New Jersey team fans down there. It seems to maybe be 60% Philly sports fans down there. And the local cable package gives you both MSG/SNY/YES (New York channels) as well as Comcast Philadelphia and those channels. By the time you get to LBI it's 85% Philly sports fans.

Reactions: My3Sons and JimEIV

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
How does that happen when the flight is canceled as far as a refund? You have to wait however many business days until the money is back to you? What if you're a paycheck to paycheck person and don't have the funds to rebook another flight at a presumably different price point?

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
How does that happen when the flight is canceled as far as a refund? You have to wait however many business days until the money is back to you? What if you're a paycheck to paycheck person and don't have the funds to rebook another flight at a presumably different price point?
It was a Southwest flight. They texted me as I headed to the airport and then texted about 30 minutes later or so they had rebooked me for a flight three days later. That didn't work so I just booked a flight the next day on Delta and asked Southwest to refund my ticket which was a choice in the app. The credit stays with your account so I guess next time the wife and i fly or fly one of the kids we use the credit? It's not perfect by any means but at least I didn't lose the money paid for the ticket outright. As it was I lost a day having to rebook and couldn't get a direct flight. I ended up getting in close to 1 am which when you are old and have to get up in the morning and actually function is not great.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

If it's a different airline you're pretty much screwed since if you don't have the funds you don't have funds. You would have to just rebook with the same airline and wait until whenever that flight is.

It was a Southwest flight. They texted me as I headed to the airport and then texted about 30 minutes later or so they had rebooked me for a flight three days later. That didn't work so I just booked a flight the next day on Delta and asked Southwest to refund my ticket which was a choice in the app. The credit stays with your account so I guess next time the wife and i fly or fly one of the kids we use the credit? It's not perfect by any means but at least I didn't lose the money paid for the ticket outright. As it was I lost a day having to rebook and couldn't get a direct flight. I ended up getting in close to 1 am which when you are old and have to get up in the morning and actually function is not great.

For future reference you absolutely have the choice for a full refund instead of taking a credit with the airline.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
If it's a different airline you're pretty much screwed since if you don't have the funds you don't have funds. You would have to just rebook with the same airline and wait until whenever that flight is.

For future reference you absolutely have the choice for a full refund instead of taking a credit with the airline.
We will use it at some point. I’ll go back to see my folks or maybe fly my youngest home

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad