OT - NO POLITICS Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I was born in VT and spent every summer as a kid there, but this boy’s a Masshole to the core.
My brother and his wife, and at that time they're only son, had a house in Montpelier. They have lived in Glasgow, Scotland for about 20 years.

Christmas 2001, after 9/11, I visited them for the holiday.

I have experienced frigid temperatures growing up in Michigan, here in Massachusetts, and many winter visits to my sister Julie's home in Albany.

I don't believe I've ever encountered cold weather like I did that Christmas of 2001 in Montpelier, VT.

Bob and Sara's house also received Montreal's CBC television signal.

It was a delight to spend some of my Christmas watching that station.

En particular, I was introduced to an animated version of Roch Carrier's charming short story, "The Sweater,"

For those of you who, like me, do not care for summer in any form, and in fact prefer autumn and winter, I have a treat.

If you have them, turn up the AC to a crispy degree, turn on your laptop or a Fire Stick-capable TV, and enjoy,

Bon soir,

✌️🇨🇦🏒

• Love
Reactions: caz16

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
You don't get paid minimum wage as a waitress or waiter. You used to generally get less than $3.00 per hour because you're expected to be tipped. It's up to less than $5 per hour now in MA. If you're talking counter service, that's optional. If you're talking about curbside pickup, you should definitely tip at least a few bucks, or get your ass out of your car and get it yourself.

And as someone that's waited tables, I can say there are a lot of jerks out there that expect you to drop everything you're doing and be at their beck and call for their entire time at your table. And they generally are the stingiest and tip the shittiest.

I didn't know that hadn't changed. 20% it is, unless the service is bad.

Reactions: LSCII
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I’m not sure if this goes in the right section, but is there any update on the whole Lucic situation? Or has that ship sailed?

It’s probably an old topic but some ‘closure’ would be nice? Lol

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I’m not sure if this goes in the right section, but is there any update on the whole Lucic situation? Or has that ship sailed?

It’s probably an old topic but some ‘closure’ would be nice? Lol

He is still in the Players Assistance Program.
When he is released from that he can request the league allow him to play again.
If so he would be an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Some nasty ass buffalo chicken mac n cheese. Smh. Tossed it. At least the fries and shake are good.

Attachments

• IMG_3063.jpeg
    IMG_3063.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 1

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Jesus christ its like every few f***ing weeks. Went to school with dude and did some projects with him after. Lost track of him over time. Guess he went to Ukraine

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
tipping.
i never tip for takeout.
never for dunkin donuts or anything walkup service like that.
bar i usually tip 1 buck per drink.
if im really drunk ill start tipping the sushi guy like 10 bucks if i get a couple kfc rolls that they make.
restaurant usually 20 percent.
just got back from mexicali with my daughter. (by tge way the food there is really good and id take their skinny fries over any other arlund here.)
bill was $26. i paid the 26 on my card and left $8 for a tip.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Do colonoscopy prep instructions always like the ones you get for surgery? I have one August 15th (I’m fine, just precautionary) and they have a legit timeline I have to follow including a pre-op like consult a few days beforehand.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Do colonoscopy prep instructions always like the ones you get for surgery? I have one August 15th (I’m fine, just precautionary) and they have a legit timeline I have to follow including a pre-op like consult a few days beforehand.
Yes. Follow them to the letter. They’ll send you home if you don’t, or worse yet, do the procedure and not get clear images, so you have to do it again.

Not my favorite thing to have to do, but it’s doable….

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
This is so scary, the husband of a friend of mine had a lithium-ion battery explode in his pocket a couple of days ago. It burned his thigh and hands, he needs grafting on his leg and is in the burn unit. It is terrifying that this happens.

We are very careful not to leave anything charging when we leave the house and don't leave devices on soft surfaces. I remember getting melted and burned lithium-ion rechargeable batteries returned to us when I worked - from hand-held instruments that doctors use for eye care.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
This is so scary, the husband of a friend of mine had a lithium-ion battery explode in his pocket a couple of days ago. It burned his thigh and hands, he needs grafting on his leg and is in the burn unit. It is terrifying that this happens.

We are very careful not to leave anything charging when we leave the house and don't leave devices on soft surfaces. I remember getting melted and burned lithium-ion rechargeable batteries returned to us when I worked - from hand-held instruments that doctors use for eye care.
What was it? :huh:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Any must-sees in Denver? At the airport, heading out for a concert at Red Rocks on Thursday (bucket list). Were going to Uber to Golden one day and don’t have a ton of time, so looking for anything bar/restaurant/attraction-wise in Denver!

Reactions: Alicat

Acie

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2019
Southern Ontario
Any must-sees in Denver? At the airport, heading out for a concert at Red Rocks on Thursday (bucket list). Were going to Uber to Golden one day and don’t have a ton of time, so looking for anything bar/restaurant/attraction-wise in Denver!

We did the Half-Day Rocky Mountain Escape. The guide was great and very informative.

We also took scooters and booted around downtown and saw all of the sites.

If you can get the shuttle to Red Rocks from the Thirsty Lion it's well worth it.

They have food and drink specials for people taking the shuttle and it drops you off right at the upper parking lot before the show and picks you up in the same spot right after the show.

And lastly, really enjoyed the margaritas and food here:

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Yes. Follow them to the letter. They’ll send you home if you don’t, or worse yet, do the procedure and not get clear images, so you have to do it again.

Do as Rocco says. To the letter. Its not fun. An inconvenience if you will.
But dont half ass it. ( pun intended)

Last edited:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

We did the Half-Day Rocky Mountain Escape. The guide was great and very informative.

We also took scooters and booted around downtown and saw all of the sites.

If you can get the shuttle to Red Rocks from the Thirsty Lion it's well worth it.

They have food and drink specials for people taking the shuttle and it drops you off right at the upper parking lot before the show and picks you up in the same spot right after the show.

And lastly, really enjoyed the margaritas and food here:

Thank you! Yes, we booked the thirsty lion shuttle, didn’t want to have to worry about transportation.

Reactions: Acie

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Absolutely, do what @RoccoF14 posted. The prep is unpleasant and it is certainly nothing I would want to repeat if I didn't have to.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Im surprised it didn't make national news, but a truck with lithium ion batteries caught fire on the I-15 near the California border on Friday. It closed the interstate and stranded people for 44 hours because they couldn't control or put out the fire. BTW the batteries are still burning, they dragged the trailer off the road to reopen the highway.

Lithium ion fire is my biggest hang up with the electric car push. It's like driving around in a Pinto, you'll probably burn in anything above a fender bender

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: caz16 and BMC

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

It's ~90 minutes away, but definitely go up to Estes Park. It's up in the Rockies and is the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park. Great mountain town with a large, walkable shopping area downtown (think Martha's Vineyard in the mountains). Also you can go to and tour the Stanley Hotel (it's in Estes Park). It's where King stayed that made him write The Shining.

Reactions: 08SeaBass08
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad