Player Discussion Joshua Roy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Doug Risebrough had some good years during the 1976-79 dynasty. Would have been third liner on typical teams.

Skrudland was a 3rd line C.

Dave Balon was the 4C for 3 years in the 1965-1969 dynasty. Evans is equally good. However, @Catanddogguitarrr might be 1000% right that Balon was not good enough, because in 1967, the Habs lost in the 2nd round and Balon could not prevent it, scoring 0 playoff goals. He was fired in the off-season for that sin.
Those 70s clubs could never be kept together today. Look at other team’s 4ths now. A lot are going to look like Jake Evans. Some might be a little better and some will be worse. He’s fine for what he does.

Anyways, none of this has anything to do with Roy.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Doug Risebrough had some good years during the 1976-79 dynasty. Would have been third liner on typical teams.

Skrudland was a 3rd line C.

Dave Balon was the 4C for 3 years in the 1965-1969 dynasty. Evans is equally good. However, @Catanddogguitarrr might be 1000% right that Balon was not good enough, because in 1967, the Habs lost in the 2nd round and Balon could not prevent it, scoring 0 playoff goals. He was fired in the off-season for that sin.
I have no memory of Dave Balon except I've heard his name. At the time I knew Béliveau, Henri Richard and Terry Harper. And little after I recall John Ferguson, Mickey Redmond and Phil Roberto. Young Serge Savard was quite something to watch, his spinorama, that was before his knee injury.

Doug Risebrought I always liked him. He's the perfect example of a solid 3rd C. Him with Tremblay and Lambert : very solid line. They all had a decline around 1981. They kept Tremblay until the '86 Cup if I remember, with Gainey.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
If you pay a premiere 4C then you have less money for the rest of your roster.. citing previous Habs cup winning teams is irrelevant because that all happened pre-salary cap.

4Cs have a job to do and Evans does those bit roles well enough at the price point you want, for it to be a non-issue. If you can upgrade there and do it for around the same money, no one would care if they did it. Isolating him as an issue is a problem because he's not and there's far more important parts of a roster to allocate money, focus and attention to that would have a bigger net impact than replacing Jake Evans.
I don’t think it’s incompatible to get better everywhere (and not hard when talking about such a horrible team), or black and white like that.

There is a world between “premiere” and what we have.

Post cap I’d take Max Lapierre back (brought energy and toughness) Byron any day (elite speed, pk, scored 20 - not 3 a year), Halpern (had some 55% and 56% face off years with the habs). Guys who brought some asset that could be weaponized in context by the coach. “Not a problem” is really mid. I sound like I’m obsessing on the guy but I really think those bottom 6 guys are super important to a build. pk is horrible so I would not boast about it. Nor a 50-51% fo% for a guy who is that soft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don’t think it’s incompatible to get better everywhere (and not hard when talking about such a horrible team), or black and white like that.

Post cap I’d take Max Lapierre back (brought energy and toughness) Byron any day (elite speed, pk, scored 20 - not 3 a year), Halpern (had some 55% and 56% face off years with the habs). Guys who brought some asset that could be weaponized in context by the coach. “Not a problem” is really mid. I sound like I’m obsessing on the guy but I really think those bottom 6 guys are super important to a build. Ok is horrible so I would not boast about it. Nor a 50-51% fo% for a guy who is that soft.
Our team will improve in the coming years. Beck on the third line. Then we’ll have guys like Florian Xehjak coming up on the 4th.

Roy’s going to be interesting. It’s too early to predict how good he’ll be. Hopefully a top six guy long term but even if he goes to the third with Newhook that has the makings of a great third line.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Post cap I’d take Max Lapierre back (brought energy and toughness) Byron any day (elite speed, pk, scored 20 - not 3 a year), Halpern (had some 55% and 56% face off years with the habs). Guys who brought some asset that could be weaponized in context by the coach. “Not a problem” is really mid. I sound like I’m obsessing on the guy but I really think those bottom 6 guys are super important to a build. Ok is horrible so I would not boast about it. Nor a 50-51% fo% for a guy who is that soft.

Byron wasn't a center so he doesn't really fit in this discussion.

Again, look around the league, Jake Evans is someone who a lot of contending teams would love to have on their 4th line. He might be 'soft' but who cares? His face-off percentage is good, especially when he's taking the face-offs generally in big situations against the other teams better face-off guys. He brings speed. He brings an offensive touch that is still a net positive on the 4th line and he's a great penalty killer.

Those are all valuable things to have in a 4th line center. If you can find one who does all of those things and brings an element of toughness, sure, go for it.. but there's very few of those guys in the league on the 4th line and usually when you up the toughness quotient, the offensive ability goes down so you are losing a short handed threat to add more physicality.

The idea would be to improve the 4th line wingers to add bigger, tenacious guys to insulate Evans so his physical game isn't an issue at all.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Those 70s clubs could never be kept together today. Look at other team’s 4ths now. A lot are going to look like Jake Evans. Some might be a little better and some will be worse. He’s fine for what he does.

Anyways, none of this has anything to do with Roy.
Not Roy but whoever he plays with. It can be Ylonen. Did he improved the last 2 years? Evans is not that bad as a 4th C. The real problem is Dvorak at 3C and his 4,5 salary. I see a total bottom 6 forwards very bad compared with the rest of the league.

Reactions: BLONG7

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not Roy but whoever he plays with. It can be Ylonen. Did he improved the last 2 years? Evans is not that bad as a 4th C. The real problem is Dvorak at 3C and his 4,5 salary. I see a total bottom 6 forwards very bad compared with the rest of the league.
Those guys will be moved along in time. Dvorak, Anderson, Gallagher… all gone soon.

I won’t be surprised at all if we see Beck at some point this year.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He is a solid 4C that penalty kills and is good on the dot.

Can I ask what your expectations are of a 4C??
Evans is a good player on the 4th line. Drafted 207th overall he is the only Hab drafted in 2014 that developed into an NHL player.
The 7th round of 2014 produced 5 players who have played over 225 games. Excellent scouting by several teams.

Reactions: 1909 and BLONG7

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Man..............Timmins and MB really made a mess of some of our drafts....
I will maintain forever that at least some of those drafts should've been better than they were. Our development was God awful.

Notice that all of a sudden our picks (including late picks by Timmins) are all panning out now? Also notice that our drafting/development record with Timmins was far better than before MB showed up. Development matters.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

Again, look around the league, Jake Evans is someone who a lot of contending teams would love to have on their 4th line. He might be 'soft' but who cares? His face-off percentage is good, especially when he's taking the face-offs generally in big situations against the other teams better face-off guys. He brings speed. He brings an offensive touch that is still a net positive on the 4th line and he's a great penalty killer.

Those are all valuable things to have in a 4th line center. If you can find one who does all of those things and brings an element of toughness, sure, go for it.. but there's very few of those guys in the league on the 4th line and usually when you up the toughness quotient, the offensive ability goes down so you are losing a short handed threat to add more physicality.

The idea would be to improve the 4th line wingers to add bigger, tenacious guys to insulate Evans so his physical game isn't an issue at all.
I don’t feel ranking 27th and 28th on the pk last 2 years is something I would write on my resume; I absolutely care about toughness and team identity. I thought Byron could play center but converted to wing you may be right. Pk may be on goaltending I guess, but I see no offense (like none at all…) and hab pk being one of the worse in the nhl I don’t understand your criteria. 51% fo% is not good if that’s his only claim to fame. Other than a bunch of hf veterans seem to like him.

I am not thinking a 4th line guy should have all these skills at all, just one stand out one that can be used situationally is my pref. Evans has none. He’s my new Dandenault. Guy looked good skating.

Roy here can score, I bring him out lots down by a goal. I sit him in tight leads and def sit him in violent 3 goal spread end of 3rd periods.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I don’t feel ranking 27th and 28th on the pk last 2 years is something I would write on my resume; I absolutely care about toughness and team identity. I thought Byron could play center but converted to wing you may be right. Pk may be on goaltending I guess, but I see no offense (like none at all…) and hab pk being one of the worse in the nhl I don’t understand your criteria. 51% fo% is not good if that’s his only claim to fame. Other than a bunch of hf veterans seem to like him.

I am not thinking a 4th line guy should have all these skills at all, just one stand out one that can be used situationally is my pref. Evans has none. He’s my new Dandenault. Guy looked good skating.

Roy here can score, I bring him out lots down by a goal. I sit him in tight leads and def sit him in violent 3 goal spread end of 3rd periods.
You bring good points in the debate, so I'm not alone, wink. The 27th and 28th ranking in pk should speak by itself as a mediocre result. Saying let's concentrate on our 2 first line is not taking consideration of the complete team. Teams have 4 lines. There are room everywhere to improve. The bottom lines plays minutes, Dvo who will be traded tdl (or just let him walk worst case), everybody agree with that quote but not with Evans. Because he does few good things but not enough for my eye seeing, and yours Naslundforever, so we both conclude it would be better not signing again and try someone better.

Sorry folks to hijack the Roy debate.

Good seing you.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You bring good points in the debate, so I'm not alone, wink. The 27th and 28th ranking in pk should speak by itself as a mediocre result. Saying let's concentrate on our 2 first line is not taking consideration of the complete team. Teams have 4 lines. There are room everywhere to improve. The bottom lines plays minutes, Dvo who will be traded tdl (or just let him walk worst case), everybody agree with that quote but not with Evans. Because he does few good things but not enough for my eye seeing, and yours Naslundforever, so we both conclude it would be better not signing again and try someone better.

Sorry folks to hijack the Roy debate.

Good seing you.
Hockey's a team sport and our D is pretty brutal. I wouldn't lay the problems with our PK at Evans' feet. Suzuki played a fair bit on the PK as well, should we blame him for that as well?

Again, take a look around the league. What does a 4th liner look like? With cap being a factor, do you want to sink money into your 4th liners? I don't think you do. Evans is perfectly serviceable (and cheap) for what he does.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I will maintain forever that at least some of those drafts should've been better than they were. Our development was God awful.

Notice that all of a sudden our picks (including late picks by Timmins) are all panning out now? Also notice that our drafting/development record with Timmins was far better than before MB showed up. Development matters.

Shudder to think of where CC would be at today if MB/Ducharme had stayed in place...

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
I hope they give him a shot on the top line this year. Drop Caufield down to Dach with Newhook.

Let's see what Roy and Newhook can bring. Ideally, they show both show top 6 upside and eventually slot on our 3rd line as utility players that can easily plug into the top 6.

2024-25

Slaf - Suzuki - Roy
Newhook - Dach - Caufield
Anderson - Dvorak - Armia
RHP - Evans - Gally

2025-26

Slaf - Suzuki - Demi
UFA - Dach - Caufield
Newhook - Beck - Roy
Anderson - Short term UFA - Gally
Gally will be bought out after this season. Anderson is definitely gone by 25-26 unless he proves he can be a solid 3rd liner.

I would'nt bet against Kapanen making the club in 25-26. We might even see Florian and Tuch this season for few games and i feel both may actually start 25-26.

I believe Roy to have the best chances to play on the 2nd line.

25-26
Slaf - Suzuki - Demi
Roy - Dach - Caufield
Newhook - Kapanen - Florian
Tuch - Beck - Heineman

Or something like that. Any vet we get on FA will have to be good for the kids développement and either less than 27-28 core bound w long-term contract or 2 years. It will not be a year to pretend but to polish the pieces we want in the core.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I have no memory of Dave Balon except I've heard his name. At the time I knew Béliveau, Henri Richard and Terry Harper. And little after I recall John Ferguson, Mickey Redmond and Phil Roberto. Young Serge Savard was quite something to watch, his spinorama, that was before his knee injury.

Doug Risebrought I always liked him. He's the perfect example of a solid 3rd C. Him with Tremblay and Lambert : very solid line. They all had a decline around 1981. They kept Tremblay until the '86 Cup if I remember, with Gainey.
Risebrough was the fourth center.

1. Lemaire
2. P. Mahovl.ich
3. Jarvis
4. Risebrough

Reactions: Beer and Chips

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Risebrough was the fourth center.

1. Lemaire
2. P. Mahovl.ich
3. Jarvis
4. Risebrough
A 4th line who had such pts?
In 76-77 Tremblay scored 18 g and was +26. In 78-79 he scored 30 g and was + 23.
In 76-77 Risebrough scored 22 g and was +33. In 78-79 he scored 10 g and was + 26.
In 76-77 Lambert scored 24 g and was +29. In 78-79 he scored 26 g and was +30.

An average 4th line plays 5 to 12 minutes per game. How can you explain a 4th line having these numbers? The + pts show they played a lot of minutes. The Jarvis-Gainey-Roberts/Houle/Sheehan was the 4th line. The Risebrough line was playing as much minutes as the second line and maybe more.

Reactions: overlords

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Dvorak has a decent salary compared to Gally and Anderson...................I think the habs will probably have the highest paid bottom 6 in the league..............and maybe the least productive....
Armia 3.4M
Gally 6.5M
Anderson 5.5M
Dvorak 4,5M

20 Million plus two other lower end salaries in the bottom and Roy being one of them......................we should call our bottom six players The Bergevin's !!

Let's hope this group can redeem themselves for a bad year last year, other than Armia who played well once he got sent to Laval and came back. Having Roy and who to make the bottom complete? I think Pezz is going to be the 13th forward....
Just realized, it's Evans that fills out the bottom

Roy ranked 16th as Calder favourite

Maybe if Laine-Dach-Roy is a line.

Some think Hutson will start the year, in Laval.................not many habs fans would agree.

Reactions: rahad

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

I like Evans and would be happy to keep him until he gets bumped one day. Problem I see is Evans has just gotten married, is UFA for the 1st time and he should be looking at scoring the biggest contract he can, because given his age he will be leaving his prime in a few years, And we know that bloated bottom 6 contracts is death by a thousand cuts. Hopefully we can work out a decent deal for both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad