OT - NO POLITICS Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Money is certainly part of it but I also think that they get hooked on the adulation of the fans. That's powerful stuff. Plus some just love the life of a touring musician & can't settle down. For some it's combination of the three.

Look at Stevie Nicks. She's 76 years old, she's got millions from Fleetwood Mac & her solo career yet she's out there on the road this summer.
Look at the Rolling Stones...James Taylor...Jackson Browne...Willie Nelson!

1721929777785.png

1721929829262.png

1721929891045.png

1721929975459.png

The IOC keeps pulling these clips down but she's the only woman in the world doing a double pike off the vault and this time she stuck it. This in competition gets you almost a perfect score.

She is an amazing young woman

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I am so sad about this - there is a homeless man (Gerald) living in his van near the trail. He is very nice, friendly, interesting to talk to. We have known him for years now and he is nothing but pleasant. Every regular knows him. The last couple of months there has been another homeless man who is living on the other side of the river, there is a bridge across it which floods frequently. We have passed him a few times and he just says hello, good morning, etc. He comes and goes.

Yesterday, we were talking to Gerald, we had noticed his tires were flat and it was weird because it was one by one over the days. Turns out the guy across the river has done it, quite obvious it was intentional since it was one a day. He said he is a horrible person and has also threatened him with a knife and now can't go to the other side of the river for fear....sigh. They are both probably in their 70s. I worry for Gerald now, he said "I live in my van, I have no money", and had to get a tow truck to pick up his vehicle while we were there. Maybe he won't come back, I don't know. He has a little dog who I bring treats for, they are fixtures. One local carver even carved little figures of him and gave them to him - he was crying when he showed us and told the story. He has lived in the area most of his life and I guess ran into tough times.

Gerald also told me he found a phone in the parking lot this week and was trying to find out who lost it, so asked people as they came back to their vehicles. Someone claimed it and then accused him of stealing it, called the police, and he has been charged. What the hell? Just because someone is homeless, they are thieves? I wish I had been there when that happened!

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I am so sad about this - there is a homeless man (Gerald) living in his van near the trail. He is very nice, friendly, interesting to talk to. We have known him for years now and he is nothing but pleasant. Every regular knows him. The last couple of months there has been another homeless man who is living on the other side of the river, there is a bridge across it which floods frequently. We have passed him a few times and he just says hello, good morning, etc. He comes and goes.

Yesterday, we were talking to Gerald, we had noticed his tires were flat and it was weird because it was one by one over the days. Turns out the guy across the river has done it, quite obvious it was intentional since it was one a day. He said he is a horrible person and has also threatened him with a knife and now can't go to the other side of the river for fear....sigh. They are both probably in their 70s. I worry for Gerald now, he said "I live in my van, I have no money", and had to get a tow truck to pick up his vehicle while we were there. Maybe he won't come back, I don't know. He has a little dog who I bring treats for, they are fixtures. One local carver even carved little figures of him and gave them to him - he was crying when he showed us and told the story. He has lived in the area most of his life and I guess ran into tough times.

Gerald also told me he found a phone in the parking lot this week and was trying to find out who lost it, so asked people as they came back to their vehicles. Someone claimed it and then accused him of stealing it, called the police, and he has been charged. What the hell? Just because someone is homeless, they are thieves? I wish I had been there when that happened!
My daughter is a lawyer and gave me the info for Legal Aid and how to contact them if he doesn't have a phone or home address. He wasn't there today, I hope we see him again, it would be so sad if he has been chased from his safe place. The troublemaker was there unfortunately.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Some Friday questions:

1) Tipping is becoming crazy here, there was a story about someone being chased down in the parking lot after picking up a pizza - they didn't leave a tip and two employees took exception. Do you tip for pick-up or take-out?

2) Do you have a vanity license plate? Would you pay for one and what would it be if allowed?

3) It is National Wine & Cheese Day - favourite types of both, or just one if you don't partake in both?

4) Most pet owners have dogs and cats, do you have a more unusual pet or have you had one in the past?

5) Name a TV show or movie that you think could be revived/remade successfully.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Jasper.
A lot of you have probably never heard of it but it is one of the most idyllic towns in Canada. It’s in The Rockies and a postcard view anywhere you look. One of my favourite places in the country. I’ve been going there my whole life and continue to take my kids as we do a fun train trip out there. As beautiful as Banff but not as touristy.
It was just decimated by two wildfires. Too fast, too big, they had to evacuate and couldn’t stop it.
It’s heartbreaking.
For anyone who has been to Jasper... you’ll understand.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Some Friday questions:

1) Tipping is becoming crazy here, there was a story about someone being chased down in the parking lot after picking up a pizza - they didn't leave a tip and two employees took exception. Do you tip for pick-up or take-out?

2) Do you have a vanity license plate? Would you pay for one and what would it be if allowed?

3) It is National Wine & Cheese Day - favourite types of both, or just one if you don't partake in both?

4) Most pet owners have dogs and cats, do you have a more unusual pet or have you had one in the past?

1. Nope. If I drove there to get it/order it standing up its not a tip situation.

2. Nope to both

3. Not a wine fan, for cheese cant go wrong with a good mozzarella or ricotta. Recently found shredded pepper jack cheese made with ghost peppers, it's really good.

4. They're cats, but we have 2 Savannahs. They're a hybrid with a Serval so they're ~30% wildcat

5. I think a Sopranos prequel series with Gandolfini's kid playing Tony could be really good

Reactions: caz16

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Some Friday questions:

1. No tipping for takeout, it's absurd IMO.
2. Nope, I think they're tacky. Maybe in the future I'd consider paying a tiny bit for a different plate design (California has some throwback ones for like $30 or so), but I wouldn't personalize it.
3. I don't drink wine often, but when I do I like Malbec. Cheese is one of my staple foods, pretty much every kind has its place in my diet.
4. Rabbits, and planning on getting chickens in the near future.
5. They should remake Taxi but with Uber drivers

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Some Friday questions:

1) I have stopped tipping anywhere people don't make tipping wages. Since a hostess and/or kitchen usually assembles a takeout order that goes for them too.

2) Yes, I had my last name when I was in MA, it was extra. My dad had it before and now my brother.

3) There is a truffle cheese that is awesome. Also love me some obscure Portuguese cheeses. For white I live Vinho Verdo or sauvignon blanc. For Red Pinot Noir or Douro.

4) We have three Shetland Sheep. They are small, friendly, and mow the lawn.

5) I would LOVE another season of Freaks and Geeks. Or Godfather Part II with the same cast but Clemenza as Prank Pentangeli.

• Love

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
1) I have stopped tipping anywhere people don't make tipping wages. Since a hostess and/or kitchen usually assembles a takeout order that goes for them too.

2) Yes, I had my last name when I was in MA, it was extra. My dad had it before and now my brother.

3) There is a truffle cheese that is awesome. Also love me some obscure Portuguese cheeses. For white I live Vinho Verdo or sauvignon blanc. For Red Pinot Noir or Douro.

4) We have three Shetland Sheep. They are small, friendly, and mow the lawn.

5) I would LOVE another season of Freaks and Geeks. Or Godfather Part II with the same cast but Clemenza as Prank Pentangeli.
In California waiters and waitresses now have a $16 minimum wage as of 2024, which makes me question why I still need to add another 15% of the bill on top of that if they're being paid fairly (considering the wage increases are reflected in higher food prices). Either way I usually just cook for myself rather than go out, and if I do go out it's to Taco Bell.

And I have a Shetland Sheepdog, I should find some Shetland Sheep for him to herd

• Haha

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
In California waiters and waitresses now have a $16 minimum wage as of 2024, which makes me question why I still need to add another 15% of the bill on top of that if they're being paid fairly (considering the wage increases are reflected in higher food prices). Either way I usually just cook for myself rather than go out, and if I do go out it's to Taco Bell.

And I have a Shetland Sheepdog, I should find some Shetland Sheep for him to herd
Apparently everything is mini in shetland. Sheepdogs, sheep, and pony

Reactions: McGarnagle

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Some Friday questions:

1. I do but only at one local restaurant- the girl who waits on me is super nice & has gone out of her way for me on a few occasions.

2. No

3. A good pinot noir. As for cheese- my favorite cheeses can be found on pizza & other Italian dishes and some grinders. Otherwise I don't eat it.

4. No.

5. Personally I'm sick of re-boots & re-makes. Come up with something new.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Some Friday questions:

1. Yes but not 20 %

2 .No. I don't want one

3. good sharp cheddar.

4. I have grown up with cats and dogs. I had a horse many years ago. Now just 2 cats. I have 6 grand pets...3 cats...2 dogs and an 85 pound mini pig.

1722019149856.png

2. Not sure. I will think on it.

• Love
Reactions: Gee Wally and caz16

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Some Friday questions:

1. I tip anyone who handles my food or parks my vehicle - donut shop, take out hostess, Uber Eats, valet parking, etc.. I don't even want to think of the consequences if I don't.

2. No, and I wouldn't want one.

3. No more wine for me. I know they aren't everyone's taste, but I love stinky blue cheeses. Stilton, Gorgonzola, Maytag Blue. Great with fruit.

4 No pets currently. Had two parrots once.

5. Homicide: Life on the Streets. Also looking forward to the new Battlestar Galactica (if they don't screw it up).

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Aahttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Foch in Paris after work

If you have the time and inclination, visit Bonaparte @

Marshall Foch was laid to rest there as well,

Should the macabre mood strike, you can also stand where Hitler stood upon taking Paris in June, 1940,

1722024097606.png

1722024163911.png

You might also visit many artists, writers, and philosophers @

Père Lachaise Cemetery - Wikipedia

(Oscar Wilde, Colette, Proust, my favorite Chopin, Edith Piaf, Jim Morrison.)

Regardless, avail yourself of the City of Light and enjoy your time there, Fenway.

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad