OT - NO POLITICS Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Looking for somewhere to go that is 60s-70s in late Feb-Early March. I don't think the family has the stamina for a skiing vacation yet.

Usually we like to travel on April vacation but this year it is the same as MA, booo.

Feb Vaca is 2/24 to 3/4.

Think, Sweat Shirts and Shorts. Not interested in the southeast USA. Southern Europe is a too cold. Somewhere we can get a deal because it is still offseason. Ideally a mix of time in a city and some rural hiking.

Ideas we have thought of:

1) Madeira Portugal
2) New Mexico
3) Arizona
4) Bermuda
6) San Diego
7) LA

Open to more suggestions.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Looking for somewhere to go that is 60s-70s in late Feb-Early March. I don't think the family has the stamina for a skiing vacation yet.

Usually we like to travel on April vacation but this year it is the same as MA, booo.

Feb Vaca is 2/24 to 3/4.

Think, Sweat Shirts and Shorts. Not interested in the southeast USA. Southern Europe is a too cold. Somewhere we can get a deal because it is still offseason. Ideally a mix of time in a city and some rural hiking.

1) Madeira Portugal
2) New Mexico
3) Arizona
4) Bermuda
6) San Diego
7) LA

If seeing the sights in the Southwest are on your radar, that's the time to do it. Phoenix, Vegas, Zion, Bryce, Moab. They'll all be in the 55-65 range and free of any major snow.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Been looking at some schools. 3 around here. I just dont know what I want to pursue…..plumbing, welding…..
I’ve been reading about your professional misadventures for some time, now. You definitely need some direction and slogging from one shit job to the next doesn’t sound like the way you want to live your life.

I know almost nothing about you, but it sounds like you’re ready to learn a trade and actually find a career. Plumbing and welding (if you are competent) are fantastic careers.

I have been in the building trades as an electrician for 25 years. So, I’ve seen a few things. If you are serious about learning a trade and breaking this never ending cycle you’re in, send me a private message and I’ll do what I can to help you. There are some very good opportunities out there right now.

The only thing holding you back is you.

PS: I’ll try to direct you to apprenticeships that DON’T make you pay for school. The best jobs pay you to learn on the job. That’s how I did it. Four years of school = FREE.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Feb Vaca is 2/24 to 3/4.

1) Madeira Portugal
2) New Mexico
3) Arizona
4) Bermuda
6) San Diego
7) LA

My mother in law was from Mediera, my wife wants to go to that island next.
It's only a 4 hour flight to the Azores from Boston. We've been to mainland Portugal and the Azores. People in Lisbon were snooty and looked down their noses at others. Especially in the restaurants. The Azores for me anyway ROCKED. A lot to explore etc. You can take ferries or commuter flights carrying around 50 people from island to island. Very smooth, very safe two engine turbo-prop planes. Mainland may as well have been any major European city. Azores natural beauty, (Unesco site) cleanliness etc was exceptional. We walked by a pizza place where there was a Boston Bruins jersey on display. Turns out the owner was born on the isle of Faial and went to high school in Boston, got married, went back and had this #67 Bruins jersey up. I asked him why #67 for Pouliot? He said that no "I was born in 1967." LOL. Anyway, the pizza was like a frozen pizza. One of the worse we've ever had but it was amusing nonetheless.
BTW, want to make a million dollars, sell peanut butter there. You can't find it in the stores, also, black pepper is nowhere to be found.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
In Paris smoked meat means BBQ - pas mal du tout

326787773_1576839836125067_5945169715950472507_n.jpg
273441935_1343532352740160_8394885060630090475_n.jpg

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
My mother in law was from Mediera, my wife wants to go to that island next.
It's only a 4 hour flight to the Azores from Boston. We've been to mainland Portugal and the Azores. People in Lisbon were snooty and looked down their noses at others. Especially in the restaurants. The Azores for me anyway ROCKED. A lot to explore etc. You can take ferries or commuter flights carrying around 50 people from island to island. Very smooth, very safe two engine turbo-prop planes. Mainland may as well have been any major European city. Azores natural beauty, (Unesco site) cleanliness etc was exceptional. We walked by a pizza place where there was a Boston Bruins jersey on display. Turns out the owner was born on the isle of Faial and went to high school in Boston, got married, went back and had this #67 Bruins jersey up. I asked him why #67 for Pouliot? He said that no "I was born in 1967." LOL. Anyway, the pizza was like a frozen pizza. One of the worse we've ever had but it was amusing nonetheless.
BTW, want to make a million dollars, sell peanut butter there. You can't find it in the stores, also, black pepper is nowhere to be found.

Awesome!

I did you go to Sao Miguel? Or did you island hop?

I feel like to do the Azores right it would be three trips. Sao Miguel, Madeira, then Go to Terceira and jump to the other islands. Or go for a month haha.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Awesome!

I did you go to Sao Miguel? Or did you island hop?

I feel like to do the Azores right it would be three trips. Sao Miguel, Madeira, then Go to Terceira and jump to the other islands. Or go for a month haha.

Azores is on my list. My grandfather's family is from Sao Miguel.

Oddly enough, my (adopted) husband's ancestry showed roots in Madeira.

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC

Feb Vaca is 2/24 to 3/4.

1) Madeira Portugal
2) New Mexico
3) Arizona
4) Bermuda
6) San Diego
7) LA

Japan is great. Okinawa in Feb is warm and because of the military base there, I believe they speak passable English. We have friends that went there recently and loved it. We plan to go soon and in the January February timeframe. Other places in Japan are more difficult with the language. I normally go to Osaka and will be going there every winter from now on.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Feb Vaca is 2/24 to 3/4.

1) Madeira Portugal
2) New Mexico
3) Arizona
4) Bermuda
6) San Diego
7) LA

Have been to Madeira with the wife and loved it.

Of course, that was 45 years ago. It could be different now. Lots of little (wall) lizards. Funchal was where we stayed. May have been the only place with hotels. Food was great. Drink called Poncha was really good.

Bleached

Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate of shrimp
Oct 3, 2018
Have been to Madeira with the wife and loved it.

Of course, that was 45 years ago. It could be different now. Lots of little (wall) lizards. Funchal was where we stayed. May have been the only place with hotels. Food was great. Drink called Poncha was really good.
My wife was born in Funchal. I have suggested us going there several times, but she seems to have no interest in it. I think it's a "can't go home again" thing.
Eventually I will talk her into it, maybe I should start at it again.

Edit: Plus she still has a lot of relatives there and will probably have to visit every one, which would take most of the trip

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Saw the Foo Fighters on Sunday

Blink 182 tonight

Lots of Fenway time this week (I’m exhausted)
Same with my sister (FF and Blink). She said both concerts were incredible.

Though I'm bitter I didn't have tickets to go as well. I told her to stop buying tickets without informing me. 😩

Reactions: Kate08

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I can't find an appropriate thread for these, so I will post here.

I realize Keith Olberman may be an acquired taste for some, anathema to many.

Even so,

Let's explode a myth, shall we?

And celebrate a legend,

Last edited:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Gee Wally: Nothing should happen while I'm on vacation in the middle of summer, right?
::Edmonton Oilers busts through the door::

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Saw the Foo Fighters on Sunday

Blink 182 tonight

Lots of Fenway time this week (I’m exhausted)
I am not a 90s kid. What's the deal with blink-182? There were people on the train last night going to the show. Are they any good or are they Nickelback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad