OT - NO POLITICS Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The part to fix my air conditioner still isn't in. I think I will go see the movie Horizon...not because it is good, or I really want to see it...but it is 3 hours long in air conditioning.

Will be gone July 19 -> July 26. On the Gem.

Boston -> Bermuda -> Bar Harbor Maine -> Boston.

Really looking forward to it.

Have a blast!

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Everything is so expensive. Hopefully you're able to cool off soon!
I am so grouchy I cannot stand myself.

Do you have annual maintenance done? Good idea if not.
I know you said it was mice. One thing you can do is if possible get some peppermint oil in there or powdered cayenne pepper. They hate both.
I will be putting something there so it doesn't happen again. I have had the AC 10 years and only had it serviced a couple of times. Lesson learned.

Reactions: caz16 and Gee Wally

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
That a damn good price for a house call.

Grays Appliance in Melrose is THE BEST. They only service appliances purchased at their store, which is a little more expensive than going to a Big Box but you get $199 service visits (plus parts) for the life of the appliance.

No brainer, IMO, to spend a bit more at the beginning for the service. And always a win to shop a small, local business!

ETA: This fridge is from 2013 and the tech was great about being up front with how to extend the life , how the cooling worked, and when it would really be time for a new one.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Grays Appliance in Melrose is THE BEST. They only service appliances purchased at their store, which is a little more expensive than going to a Big Box but you get $199 service visits (plus parts) for the life of the appliance.

No brainer, IMO, to spend a bit more at the beginning for the service. And always a win to shop a small, local business!

ETA: This fridge is from 2013 and the tech was great about being up front with how to extend the life , how the cooling worked, and when it would really be time for a new one.
That makes it more than a worthwhile repair. You bought some knowledge and saved 1500 on a new fridge. Works for me!

Reactions: Kate08

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
"CTE? Never heard of it.

"No. I can't spell liability.

"Yes. All puppets have legs, actually.

"See?"

-- Gary Bettman

HOCKEY

Former Predators captain Johnson was diagnosed with CTE after death​

Brain disorder is likely caused by repeated head injuries​

Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson
Photo: John Russell/Nashville Predators

Former Predators captain Greg Johnson was diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) after his death five years ago.

The widow and daughters of Johnson on Wednesday released the results of his post-mortem brain tissue analysis through the Concussion Legacy Foundation, saying they hoped to raise awareness for the long-term effects of concussions and repetitive head impacts in hockey.
Dr. Ann McKee, director of the Boston University CTE center, diagnosed Johnson with CTE, but was unable to definitively stage it due to the manner of death.

Johnson died at age 48 by suicide on July 7, 2019, the result of a self-inflicted gunshot.

CTE is a brain disorder likely caused by repeated head injuries, per the Mayo Clinic. It causes the death of nerve cells in the brain, known as degeneration. CTE gets worse over time. The only way to definitively diagnosis CTE is after death during an autopsy of the brain.

“This diagnosis took my breath away,” Johnson’s wife, Kristin, said in a release. “Greg’s death shattered our world, and we never once thought this disease was something he struggled with. He experienced very few symptoms that we knew of, but he spoke of his concussions often. I remember the exact moment he told me his heart condition forcing him to retire [in 2006] was a blessing because he couldn’t take another hit. He knew his hockey career had a profound impact on his brain.”

A center, Johnson played 785 NHL games over 12 years, suiting up for Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago and Nashville.
He was a member of the original Predators expansion team and spent seven seasons in Nashville, from 1998-99 through 2005-06. A Thunder Bay, Ontario, native, Johnson played 502 games for the Preds, totaling 238 points (93 goals, 145 assists). He still holds the franchise’s career record of 11 short-handed goals.

Johnson served as the Preds’ second captain, holding that title from 2002 through 2006.

“I had no idea what CTE even stood for when my dad took his life,” Carson Johnson, Greg Johnson’s eldest daughter, said in the release. “Now understanding that the hits he endured throughout his hockey career damaged his brain, I want all athletes to understand the risks and I want the NHL to start acknowledging it exists and do more to protect its players so other daughters don’t have to lose their fathers.”

The NHL and commissioner Gary Bettman have consistently said throughout the past few years that there is no definitive link between CTE and the game of hockey.

“We listen to the medical opinions on CTE, and I don't believe there has been any documented study that suggests that elements of our game result in CTE,” Bettman told NPR in 2023. “There have been isolated cases of players who have played the game [who] have had CTE. But it doesn't mean that it necessarily came from playing in the NHL.”

Last edited:

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
87 in my house.

I HATE this weather...HATE

I went to a boring movie that was 3 hours long but at least it was cool in the theatre.
I looked at the forecast to try to get some optimism.... saw it's going to be high of 30 with a chance of snow....then I saw that's for December....

Monday 97 here
Tuesday 96

Can't wait to get the heck outta NY

Reactions: Ladyfan

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
i would be sleepingin a hammock or a tent if my ac was not working in this crap.
Going outside brings back memories of being in grade school, when we had to go swimming as part of gym class.

You came out of the locker room and were hit with heat and terrible humidity.

Best thing I could come up with....

That and standing by the dryer vent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad