Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Part 2

sena

Jul 3, 2024
I think this is a massive part of our problem now - the goal(plan) with Dorion/Melnyck became signing the core of the rebuild. Didn’t matter if these guys weren’t good enough, because that’s all they had and all they could get,L and all they could sell, ao honestly evaluating these young players and their shortcomings became a non-issue because without locking up the core you promised everything in the rebound would be a failure.

Now we have some overpaid players which isn’t a big deal - the massive problem is we have players that just aren’t good enough signed long term to big money. Massive problem
It was a try to make fans happy because they have not kept or paid anyone for a while.
Never listen to the fans or you will be on of them

Reactions: Tuna99

sena

Jul 3, 2024
I don't think it's that clear cut.

And Nurse is just nastier, we could use that more than Chabot. So even if he is worse than Chabot, he could make our team harder to play.

So is Chabot lol.
Nurse's contract is way to long. It's funny Brady's contract seems like it will end too soon and Chabots is lasting forever......
I also dont think its that clear cut.

Reactions: Alex1234

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

And Nurse is just nastier, we could use that more than Chabot. So even if he is worse than Chabot, he could make our team harder to play.

So is Chabot lol.
I mean, I think that's bullshit and Edmonton has basically been my team #2 through this god awful rebuild, so I feel confident in that, but without getting in to the players themselves, Nurse has 5 years after this one at 9.25 mil cap hit compared to Chabot's 3 years left at 8 mil. It would be so foolish for any team to take his contract.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I mean, I think that's bullshit and Edmonton has basically been my team #2 through this god awful rebuild, so I feel confident in that, but without getting in to the players themselves, Nurse has 5 years after this one at 9.25 mil cap hit compared to Chabot's 3 years left at 8 mil. It would be so foolish for any team to take his contract.

yea didn't know Nurse was that long, was just comparing cap hits. Nurse is also older too. goes till like 35 lol.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
oh man. methinks Chabot's gaffes are being overblown. He played pretty well in the Kings game, imo.
I don’t think they’re overblown but I agree he had a better game against la

He’s good when he’s moving up ice. Not good in our end.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I don’t think they’re overblown but I agree he had a better game against la

He’s good when he’s moving up ice. Not good in our end.
He looked good in our end too, imo.

Sanderson let a Kings player screen Soogard uncontested, standing right beside him, on the Fiala goal. If Chabot had done that, there would be two pages of critical posts, the Sportsnet highlights would zoom in on Chabby's separation from the Kings player, and people would be lamenting the loss of Branny.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
yea didn't know Nurse was that long, was just comparing cap hits. Nurse is also older too. goes till like 35 lol.
Ya that one is a major woofer. There's been numerous threads about how to dump him and there's very little out there that makes any sense for the other team. It made little sense when it was signed and even worse today lol.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

So is Chabot lol.
Chabot worst contract in the NHL? Not a chance. Ideally he should be a $5 million dollar second pairing guy.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Rates StatNurseChabot
CF/6065.4365.08
CA/6058.0659.08
GF/602.542.97
GA/602.543.35
Def Zone Starts/6017.5314.39

Relative Stats

Relative StatNurseChabot
GF/60 Rel- 0.570.79
GA/60 Rel0.410.52
xGF/60 Rel- 0.190.28
xGA/60 Rel.36.08

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
A lot of the problems with Chabot come down to two things...icetime and the complacency thing. He works best with managed minutes, and hopefully that will happen this year, as we're getting better depth wise. The icewater in the veins....there are definite times when it is needed, but he also has to develop a sense of urgency when that is needed as well. Ice is good...fire and ice is better.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Despite his flaws, there's still a very real chance a healthy Chabot flirts with a 60 point season. The situation reminds me a bit of Letang a decade ago - a lot of Pittsburgh fans had similar frustrations when he couldn't stay healthy.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Despite his flaws, there's still a very real chance a healthy Chabot flirts with a 60 point season. The situation reminds me a bit of Letang a decade ago - a lot of Pittsburgh fans had similar frustrations when he couldn't stay healthy.

It's possible that the understandable desire to stay healthy has led to the inconsistency in terms of his level of competitiveness on the ice.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I wondered when I made the posts above (815 & 816) if it would spur observations and more analytic specifics versus the “he sucks” type of posts.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I wondered when I made the posts above (815 & 816) if it would spur observations and more analytic specifics versus the “he sucks” type of posts.
For some not really.
Bottom line is the Chabot was and is paid like a #1 Dman which he isn't. He's a second pairing guy that has both good and bad qualities. If he was paid $2.5 to $3 million less per year there would be far fewer people complaining about him.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So far he's been a very "unlucky" player, while also making some bonehead plays.

Has a ridiculous .731 save percentage with him on the ice, of which a vast majority were expected saves. An extremely low PDO, and a good expected +/-. Things will come back to the mean, right now it's very far below it.

1st on the team in CF%, CF% rel, FF and FF% among D.

Team is still controlling the play with him on the ice by a sizable margin thus far

He needs to get his head out of his ass when he has time with the puck, making too many boneheaded plays

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So far he's been a very "unlucky" player, while also making some bonehead plays.

Has a ridiculous .731 save percentage with him on the ice, of which a vast majority were expected saves. An extremely low PDO, and a good expected +/-. Things will come back to the mean, right now it's very far below it.

1st on the team in CF%, CF% rel, FF and FF% among D.

Team is still controlling the play with him on the ice by a sizable margin thus far

He needs to get his head out of his ass when he has time with the puck, making too many boneheaded plays

Attention to detail is lacking at times too, the waived off goal against is a good example, he's got to tie up the forward there.

Hopefully Green can get through to him, protecting the house needs to be a non-negotiable, they need to bear down more there.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Idk I think I'd trade him for Nurse.

Brings a different element, more physical and stronger. It's shocking how weak Chabot is.

But I don't think Edmonton would do it would they?
Nurse is legitimately one of the worst contracts in the league. He's played 5on5 with McDrai before Bouchard got there, and only had one season of good offensive production.

For someone who's supposed to be a good shut down guy, he's awful defensively and if he even provides replacement level play, the Oilers may have won the cup. Forget about his contract and length.

I'd rather extend Hamonic for $1 million than have Nurse eat up $9 million in cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad