Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Part 2

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Is this the third consecutive off-season where he's had wrist surgery? He definitely had it last summer, and he missed the end of the 2022 season with a wrist injury but I can't remember whether he had an operation at that time.

Starting to get Phillipe Boucher vibes here. Dude lost a few year due to recurring wrist issues and multiple surgeries.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
So no time in the gym strengthening then
I thought the two sentences below covered that off....
League sources told Postmedia Tuesday that Chabot, 27, the longest-serving player on the Ottawa roster and the club’s alternate captain, is finalizing the details to undergo a procedure in the near future to fix a wrist issue he’s been dealing with for nearly two seasons.
We’re told the recovery time is in the range of two-to-three months and he’ll be ready in plenty of time for training camp to open in September and this shouldn’t do anything to hamper the normal work he does in the off-season to prepare for the season.
Feel free to read way too much into that last sentence and respond "well, the normal work he does in the off-season isn't working!"

• Haha
Reactions: Agent Zub

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
More the wrist issues (not quality of player). It took him out of the lineup for parts of seasons for the better part of half a decade.
Yeah thats kinda my point though, although I made it very unclearly. Boucher's injuries seemed to hamper him more significantly (and probably were more significant). I dont remember Boucher's early years but I believe I remember the narrative around his post-lockout breakout emphasizing his previous injuries.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Feel free to read way too much into that last sentence and respond "well, the normal work he does in the off-season isn't working!"
I think he just had a legendary veteran coach say he needs to be stronger. There's a difference between a summer of weight training and a summer of rehab.

Reactions: lancepitlick

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I think he just had a legendary veteran coach say he needs to be stronger. There's a difference between a summer of weight training and a summer of rehab.
Ok, so you think the reporting that "this won't hamper his training this summer" means "he will be in full rehab and will not be able to get stronger".... interesting take. Clearly not what was being said, like really blatantly in opposition to the reporting, but hey. Stick to your guns.

Also, there is a f*** ton that you can do in the gym without relying on your wrist, especially as a hockey player. Not only are you ignoring the reporting, but your implication doesn't really make sense in its own right. If Chabot wants to get stronger, he will get stronger.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Ok, so you think the reporting that "this won't hamper his training this summer" means "he will be in full rehab and will not be able to get stronger".... interesting take. Clearly not what was being said, like really blatantly in opposition to the reporting, but hey. Stick to your guns.

Also, there is a f*** ton that you can do in the gym without relying on your wrist, especially as a hockey player. Not only are you ignoring the reporting, but your implication doesn't really make sense in its own right. If Chabot wants to get stronger, he will get stronger.

Maybe having an intact wrist will give him the strength he needs. Shouldn't have been playing for the last two years with a major injury.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Coaches say these kind of things all the time. It doesn’t mean that Chabby doesn’t work out, it means what it means, he needs to adjust his training to be more effective.

Chych just changed his training this off season, other players adjust their weight strength to best suit their game all the time.

I think your desire to trade Chabby has taken over all points of discussion surrounding the player. This ‘legendary coach’ wasn’t publicly insulting Chabby in the way you’re spinning it.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Staois is able to sign UFA Tanev RD he would stabalize the backend & the defence would be much harder to play against.

Chabot - Zub --- these two have played well together before
Sanderson - Tanev --- a solid vet to mentor & protect Sandy
Kleven - Hamonic/JBD --- Kleven also makes the defence harder to play against

Reactions: Icelevel

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If Staois is able to sign UFA Tanev RD he would stabalize the backend & the defence would be much harder to play against.

Chabot - Zub --- these two have played well together before
Sanderson - Tanev --- a solid vet to mentor & protect Sandy
Kleven - Hamonic/JBD --- Kleven also makes the defence harder to play against

I’d also add a bottom pairing RD a veteran dude who can be a mini shut down pair with Kleven and help develop him. You need someone big enough and mean enough so Kleven doesn’t think he has to be the mean guy on the pairing because you want him on his comfort zone. Like when Volchenkov came in and he had guys like Phillips, Leschechyn, Chara to play with and so he could be mean in a free flowing way when it presented itself.

Last edited:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

Makes you wonder why he didn't the last seven years

Excuses incoming

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I mean that answer is not wrong. It's very concerning.

That's the 8 million dollar question.

Everything I hear from people inside and outside the organization talk about how unbelievable of a guy he is. I believe it. But it pains me to say it you can tell he just hasn't put in the work. He's the same strength as when he entered the league. He's less explosive at 27 he should be peaking.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

Everything I hear from people inside and outside the organization talk about how unbelievable of a guy he is. I believe it. But it pains me to say it you can tell he just hasn't put in the work. He's the same strength as when he entered the league. He's less explosive at 27 he should be peaking.
I think there is certainly a discussion to be had that his previous training hasnt been working, but I also imagine it would be tough to put on much muscle when you are relied on to play as much as he was playing before this season. IMO, probably a combination of both.

Anyways, my point was not that Chabot is above criticism… there is a lot to say on that front… it was that using the Garrioch report to say, “oh, another wasted summer” when the report makes a point of saying it wont impact training doesnt hold water.

And thats why I brought up the point you highlighted - not because its incorrect or off base, but because it would be a shifting of goalposts.

Last edited:

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Who knows without being close to the team what the reality is. It's entirely possible Chabot has been hamstrung by injuries, playing 30 mins/night and the Sens pre-Andlauer likely having the cheapest S&C in the league. Didn't Del Zotto say they didn't even have proper food at the rink for players?

Also possible Chabot slacks at S&C or doesn't eat properly, who knows? None of us posting do, I can say that. I bet Steve Staois does though and is making decisions based on that.

He was probably getting great feedback from Alfie/Martin all last season. And those two know what's what at an NHL level.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I’d also add a bottom pairing RD a veteran dude who can be a mini shut down pair with Kleven and help develop him. You need someone big enough and mean enough so Kleven doesn’t think he has to be the mean guy on the pairing because you want him on his comfort zone. Like when Volchenkov came in and he had guys like Phillips, Leschechyn, Chara to play with and so he could be mean in a free flowing way when it presented itself.
Agree, however, the question is going to be whether they can afford it & be able to fit another RD under their cap They still have Hamonic who plays the game that way & could mentor Kleven & only makes $1.1 mil in his last yr. He is only a yr removed from a 21 pt season, but seemed to have fallen off a cliff last season, maybe due to injuries given he only played 48 games. I assume Hamonic & JBD share that 3rd pairing RD spot next season along with a few games from Guennette RD & maybe Matinpalo RD.

I assume we may need to wait until the following season to fill that 3rd pairing RD spot with a much better upgrade or maybe one of Guennette, JBD or Matinpalo step up. We might get a good future 3rd pairing RD with that 39th OA pick in this draft, well see.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

That’s true but not for lack of effort. think the dude has done everything asked of him in a bad culture and now we have a food culture and people who can lead Ch it instead of relying on him to always be the leader

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He hasn't fallen off a cliff; he's been bad for a few years.
Players don't just lose it though. I think it's been a combination of things including never having a good offseason to train. Big contracts can do that to young people in their early 20's. In a gong show of an organization that has no leadership. He has the talent but he needs to get back on track with his health, mental game and Physically. Having an actual NHL d man as a d coach could yield amazing results. Would love to see him have a batherson esque resurgence under a new coach..

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Given how many LDs seem to be available and how many teams also need 'higher profile' guys, I'm fine with moving on from Chabot instead of hoping he gets better. He's our Darnell Nurse in terms of his contract, but slightly better because he is better offensively and doesn't have the same term left. But he's overpaid, has been asked to do too much, will have to unlearn a lot, and is injury prone af.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad