Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Are we actually comparing Chabot & Brannstrom? Chabot has proven in the past he is 100 times better than Brannstrom although he has made a lot of mistakes this yr, but he's also but injured on & off a lot this yr. It's not that long ago he had a 50 pt season, do you think Brannstrom can put up 50 pts?
No, I don't think Brannstrom could. I do think he'd put up mid 30s playing full seasons on the PP though.

But you're missing my point.

Based not on my own opinions but on the opinions of multiple people in the industry that are paid to comment on hockey, Brannstrom is outperforming his contract and Chabot isn't living up to his.

If the question is would you rather Brannstrom or Chabot at 4 M, well I'll take Chabot.

If the question is would you rather Brannstrom at 2 or Chabot at 8, I'll take Brannstrom

Reactions: Alex1234

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Get rid of both Chabot and Chychrun, promote Brannchise to 2LD. Kleven wins the Calder as he has a Brock Faber like season. Make the playoffs, win the Cup.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
No, I don't think Brannstrom could. I do think he'd put up mid 30s playing full seasons on the PP though.

But you're missing my point.

Based not on my own opinions but on the opinions of multiple people in the industry that are paid to comment on hockey, Brannstrom is outperforming his contract and Chabot isn't living up to his.

If the question is would you rather Brannstrom or Chabot at 4 M, well I'll take Chabot.

If the question is would you rather Brannstrom at 2 or Chabot at 8, I'll take Brannstrom
I'll take Kleven at half the price of Brannstrom.

Reactions: bert

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Chabot is a solid player but at this point the injuries are a legit concern. I feel that if they can get a decent return for him and Chychrun is willing to sign for a reasonable contract . .. you gotta go with Chychrun.

Trade Chabot for futures if you can't make a hockey trade that address a need. Sign a free agent or flip the futures to fill the hole on the right side or up front.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Are we actually comparing Chabot & Brannstrom? Chabot has proven in the past he is 100 times better than Brannstrom although he has made a lot of mistakes this yr, but he's also but injured on & off a lot this yr. It's not that long ago he had a 50 pt season, do you think Brannstrom can put up 50 pts?
He had one 50+points season 5 years ago , his 2nd season

Reactions: bert

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Chabot is a solid player but at this point the injuries are a legit concern. I feel that if they can get a decent return for him and Chychrun is willing to sign for a reasonable contract . .. you gotta go with Chychrun.

Trade Chabot for futures if you can't make a hockey trade that address a need. Sign a free agent or flip the futures to fill the hole on the right side or up front.

Yup. I also believe Chabot can easily rekindle and find his game again as a top D. But we would be best with Chychrun moving forward just from a structural standpoint as well.

Can also see Chychrun signing 1.5-2 mil less as well.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Chabot needs to spend the summer in the gym and put on some muscle.

Chych has avoided injuries this year because he's been playing like a frightened rabbit. No point being big and strong if you won't bother to engage physically.

I still have hope that Chabot can fix up his injury woes. Chych.....I feel he's focused more on getting a big UFA deal over anything else. Keeping him could mean a big overpayment for the next 8 years that handcuffs the team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I dont think people will be happy when they face the reality that Chabot has no value. He might even be negative value at this point. Everyone is tight against the cap and he is overpaid at his cap hit and grossly overpaid on his actual real salary.

His career average is literally 12/g 50pts/82 games.
He’s astonishingly consistent offensively.
Top 20 in the league every single year.
Very consistent at being injured every season and is consistently inconsistent when he is playing.

He had one 50+points season 5 years ago , his 2nd season
Actually scoring the points is important. Pace means nothing if you never play enough. This team needs to win games not hypothetically do it.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
to play devil’s advocate a bit, Chabot doesn’t have a NTC (till July 1st) and is under contract for 4 more years. Chychrun likely will only be dealt to a team he wants to sign with long term (even though he has no control) so that may reduce the number of suitors looking to extend him (a la Debrincat)

You could potentially have more suitors for Chabot in this scenario but the $8M tag is gonna be the biggest problem…

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
His career average is literally 12/g 50pts/82 games.
He’s astonishingly consistent offensively.
Top 20 in the league every single year.
That might be his career pace but he's had one 50+ season and one 40+ season

I dont think people will be happy when they face the reality that Chabot has no value. He might even be negative value at this point. Everyone is tight against the cap and he is overpaid at his cap hit and grossly overpaid on his actual real salary.

Very consistent at being injured every season and is consistently inconsistent when he is playing.

Actually scoring the points is important. Pace means nothing if you never play enough. This team needs to win games not hypothetically do it.
I think we'd be lucky to move Chabot for draft capital.... meaning no bad contract coming back

Reactions: Alex1234

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That might be his career pace but he's had one 50+ season and one 40+ season
Sure, and two of those seasons were cut short due to the pandemic so his 39 pts in 71 out of 71 games and his 31 pts in 49 out 56 games both get under appreciated.

Are you going to adjust your Brannstrom 30 pts prediction to reflect his ~60 games played a season average? Or do his injuries and being healthy scratches not count for this exercise?

Last edited:
Reactions: Xspyrit

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
What are the odds management is kind of liking what they see from a kleven brannstrom bottom pair?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What are the odds management is kind of liking what they see from a kleven brannstrom bottom pair?
It wouldn't be the worst thing we could do, I'd be fine with a back end like this:

Chabot-UFA (DeMelo/Pesce/Roy/ect)
Sanderson-Zub
Kleven-Brannstrom
JBD

This of course assumes Chychrun gets moved (or we could move Chabot and swap in Chychrun).

Reactions: DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If Brannstrom is still on this team next season than the defence won't improve at all, they have to move on from him asap.

And yet he has the best metrics on the team the last 2 years. When a fan is targeting a player...

Brannstrom has been basically the least of the Sens problems in the last 2 seasons.

Best CA/60, best SA/60, best GA/60, 2nd best xGA/60 (2.46, Zub has 2.45)

What it means is that when Brannstrom is on the ice, the other team has less shot attempts, less shots, less scoring chances and less goals against than when other D-men are on the ice.

Zaitsev and Hamonic are SURPRISINGLY the worst for these stats

My opinion is based on his play, he's weak defensively & doesn't bring enough offensively & IMO Kleven brings more of what this team needs on defence & therefore Brannstrom is no longer needed & it saves them a million bucks.

I'm not contesting your opinion, you're 100% free to have it but posting this for the benefit of others as it is factually wrong.

1712242113375.png

@L'Aveuglette I think you'd be interested to see that post

Last edited:
Reactions: OD99 and DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If Brannstrom is still on this team next season than the defence won't improve at all, they have to move on from him asap.
That absurd. He's not the reason our defense is what it is, the guy plays 16 mins a night, not 60.

Reactions: OD99

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
There’s just no logic behind this other than he’s small. He’s a legitimate decent bottom pairing guy and doesn’t play the most minutes on the d corps. So you can keep him and the defence can improve. Heck korpisalo just needs to save low danger shots and it will look like the defence has improved exponentially.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
And yet he has the best metrics on the team the last 2 years. When a fan is targeting a player...

Brannstrom has been basically the least of the Sens problems in the last 2 seasons.

Best CA/60, best SA/60, best GA/60, 2nd best xGA/60 (2.46, Zub has 2.45)

What it means is that when Brannstrom is on the ice, the other team has less shot attempts, less shots, less scoring chances and less goals against than when other D-men are on the ice.

Zaitsev and Hamonic are SURPRISINGLY the worst for these stats

I'm not contesting your opinion, you're 100% free to have it but posting this for the benefit of others as it is factually wrong.

View attachment 845892
Very surprising

• Haha
Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Get rid of both Chabot and Chychrun, promote Brannchise to 2LD. Kleven wins the Calder as he has a Brock Faber like season. Make the playoffs, win the Cup.

Without both Chabot and Chychrun, the defensive squad become WEAK again. A point that is often forgotten is that holes puts some other guys in the wrong chair.

That 15% competition is pretty glaring. Can't control your usage, but it does play into the rest.

Yeah but it's offset by him not playing with great linemates, he has had Josh Brown, Nick Holden (the declined version) and Travis Hamonic

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah but it's offset by him not playing with great linemates, he has had Josh Brown, Nick Holden (the declined version) and Travis Hamonic
Idk, I think his linemates being not so great isn't atypical for a bottom pair Dman (they have it at 42% whatever that means...), but that level QOC is generally reserved for callups and journeymen, perhaps the odd one dimensional player.

There's no denying that Brannstrom has generally had very sheltered deployment. And regardless of who his linemates are, it doesn't change whether he can box guys out or not. His weaknesses tend to really stick out when they get exploited. I think there's a role for him in the NHL, I'm just not sure it's on our team, maybe with the right partner it could work, but you're always looking to mitigate or offset the gaps in his game imo and that's not what I want in a 3rd pair guy.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Idk, I think his linemates being not so great isn't atypical for a bottom pair Dman (they have it at 42% whatever that means...), but that level QOC is generally reserved for callups and journeymen, perhaps the odd one dimensional player.

There's no denying that Brannstrom has generally had very sheltered deployment. And regardless of who his linemates are, it doesn't change whether he can box guys out or not. His weaknesses tend to really stick out when they get exploited. I think there's a role for him in the NHL, I'm just not sure it's on our team, maybe with the right partner it could work, but you're always looking to mitigate or offset the gaps in his game imo and that's not what I want in a 3rd pair guy.

That's why a Kleven - Brannstrom pairing might be smart.

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - DeMelo (or someone like that)
Kleven - Brannstom
JBD

Trade Chychrun for a young forward and a pick

Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Aren’t you Kenton pairing guys always going to have low QOC?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sure, and two of those seasons were cut short due to the pandemic so his 39 pts in 71 out of 71 games and his 31 pts in 49 out 56 games both get under appreciated.

Are you going to adjust your Brannstrom 30 pts prediction to reflect his ~60 games played a season average? Or do his injuries and being healthy scratches not count for this exercise?
There's no exercise Micklebot. Seriously, not every post on HF is an opening to argue. Chabot has posted 50 once. 40 once. His health matters.

Reactions: redbrick98

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Aren’t you Kenton pairing guys always going to have low QOC?
Kenton pairing?

I'm going to assume you mean bottom?

Anyways, I think to a degree, sure, they'll typically be lower, but Brannstrom is at the far end of the spectrum, even for 3rd pair guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad