THN's Top 100 Players Of All-Time By Position (2010)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I was just reading the Dickie Moore portion of the magazine and it was suggested that Moore would have won the Selke several times during his career had the award existed. I've never read or seen anything to suggest that Moore was among the best defensive forwards in the NHL. Does anyone have any evidence that supports THN's claim?

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I was just reading the Dickie Moore portion of the magazine and it was suggested that Moore would have won the Selke several times during his career had the award existed. I've never read or seen anything to suggest that Moore was among the best defensive forwards in the NHL. Does anyone have any evidence that supports THN's claim?
Surprised they would say that. I think Moore was pretty capable defensively but the retro Selke's of that era were going to Moore team mates Provost & Marshall. Not a big fan of retro awards but do agree that Provost & marshall were better Selke candidates than Moore.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Consider who was in the AHL when Bower won his 3 MVP awards: Camille Henry, Bronco Horvath, Ken Wharram, Ab McDonald, Harry Lumley, Don Simmons, Gump Worsley, Charlie Hodge, Bob Baun and a fair number of other decent future and past NHL players.

Bower's NHL career started late largely due to his playing for an independent team. The Rangers, or any other NHL club, couldn't just call him up, they had to trade for him.

I took a little bit of time to look up the top teams in the AHL during Bower's play there and could not find any outstanding teams at all never mind the tremendous. Bower was the best player in the league when he won those 3 awards but the overall talent level in the AHL was pretty weak IMO.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

I've definitely read that Moore was very good defensively, but among the best in the league? Likely and exaggeration. Most of what I have read said that his linemate Henri Richard was better. Though I definitely remember Canadiens1958 going on and on about Moore's ability to cover opposing RWs.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
there should be a version of this list post 1967 players (or post WW2) top 20 at each position.

It would be an interesting project to undertake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad